Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 09:14 AM

678 posts, read 426,685 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in learning about different religious and spiritual and atheist core beliefs and think this thread will be educational at the very least. It may even lead to a take away or two if enough people participate. What I'm asking is for people to:

1. State your religion or the group of people your beliefs are associated the closest to. If you're Christian, please state your denomination
2. Who is the "founding person" of your beliefs?
3. If the person could connect with every person on earth today and give a short 3 sentence or less message, what do you think that message would be?

Also, so the thread doesn't get derailed please no personal attacks and don't argue with people's opinions or beliefs.

Last edited by Jumbo10; 07-12-2017 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 09:27 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,494,836 times
no religion

washington, Lincoln, Sherman, grant, and lee.

focus on truth, justice, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, equally, for all people. Keep in mind, how you want things to be might not be how things are being.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,045,735 times
1- Animism

2- The Universe

3 - Be a net benefit to the planet.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:10 AM

18,846 posts, read 6,877,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'm interested in learning about different religious and spiritual and atheist core beliefs and think this thread will be educational at the very least. It may even lead to a take away or two if enough people participate. What I'm asking is for people to:

1. State your religion or the group of people your beliefs are associated the closest to. If you're Christian, please state your denomination
3. If the person could connect with every person on earth today and give a short 3 sentence or less message, what do you think that message would be?

Also, so the thread doesn't get derailed please no personal attacks and don't argue with people's opinions or beliefs.
I'm a Christian -- specifically Baptist. The founder of my religion is God.

The message is that one must repent and trust Christ for the forgiveness of their sins. Nothing we can do or say saves us from the wrath of God, but only faith in Jesus who died on the cross to take the punishment for our sins so that we would not be punished.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:23 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
I'm a Quaker within the Christian tradition.
Margaret Fell founded the organization in the 1650s (Quaker history will tell you that it was George Fox, but he was just the "prophet," Margaret is the one who got the Meeting started).
"Love God and each other and follow the leading of the Holy Spirit. Don't worry about all the doctrines and dogmas and practices that really have nothing to do with this."

Old 07-12-2017, 10:31 AM

27,914 posts, read 29,747,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I'm an LDS Christian, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, a "Mormon." Take your pick.

Quote:
Joseph Smith, Jr. founded my denomination in 1830. It now has just shy of 16 million members worldwide. Of course, we would say (and nobody would believe us), that Joseph Smith founded the Church under the direction of Jesus Christ. The basic premise behind Mormonism is that Jesus Christ did establish a church during His ministry here on earth. After His death and the deaths of His Apostles, men changed that church -- both the doctrines and the organizational structure. The original Church of Jesus Christ has since been re-established on the earth.

Quote:
Well, what he actually did say was this:

“The fundamental principles of our religion are the testimony of the Apostles and Prophets, concerning Jesus Christ, that He died, was buried, and rose again the third day, and ascended into heaven; and all other things which pertain to our religion are only appendages to it.”

I think he would probably add that God is our Heavenly Father. He knows each of us personally and loves us deeply. It is His greatest desire that we all return to His presence someday. He would remind us that Jesus Christ' work and glory was to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder. A few people here are definitely going to need it, but probably won't pay any attention to it at all.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:33 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,091,339 times
Crazy Horse, Red Cloud, Geronimo, an a few others..not all "founders" per se, but great leaders and influential people.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:15 PM

18,846 posts, read 27,288,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
1- Animism

2- The Universe

Animist?
Congratulations!

Old 07-12-2017, 04:27 PM

18,846 posts, read 6,877,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
1- Animism

2- The Universe

Interesting. I'd have pegged you for a devotee of Grendel or Doveregubben

Old 07-12-2017, 08:05 PM

1,058 posts, read 671,011 times
I'm so excited by this thread! I have been very interested in the faith of others comparatively.

1. Christian-non denominational.

2.God (love)

3. I will always be a seeker of the truth and because I know that God cannot lie, I rely on him fully.

Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.
Psalm 25:5 | NIV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality