Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:14 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times

Advertisements

I have a cousin who is so rooted in the Pentecostal belief . She is living in a very bad property that she rents and she wont sue her landlord because she always says that Christians mainly Pentecostals are not supposed to sue people but honestly I think she has been living in the Pentecostal faith too long that It has warped her mind . I'm catholic and was raised as so , my father would not raise us Pentecostal . He said he saw too many men beating their wives because they took the submission issue too far . But now my poor cousin lives in a virtual dumpy mobile home that smells because her septic is too full and the land lord always says she does not have the money to empty it . I have told her to sue her and she is also raising her grandkids cause her daughter is too lazy to raise them herself and I told my cousin that home is not a healthy place for her to be living much less her grandkids and I can smell mold in there when I visit . I told her if she gets sick from the mold in there the authorities will take matters into their own hands because the dr will notify the health department about the conditions of the mobile home and then it will be out of her hands but her head and thoughts are so wrapped up in the religious aspects of her life that she does not want to listen . I cannot imagine someone being so wrapped up in religion that they wont listen to common sense . I don't know what else to do ,,,,I thought maybe I should talk to her pastor ? maybe he could get her to listen since I don't seem to be able too ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 01:11 PM

23,130 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have a cousin who is so rooted in the Pentecostal belief . She is living in a very bad property that she rents and she wont sue her landlord because she always says that Christians mainly Pentecostals are not supposed to sue people but honestly I think she has been living in the Pentecostal faith too long that It has warped her mind . I'm catholic and was raised as so , my father would not raise us Pentecostal . He said he saw too many men beating their wives because they took the submission issue too far . But now my poor cousin lives in a virtual dumpy mobile home that smells because her septic is too full and the land lord always says she does not have the money to empty it . I have told her to sue her and she is also raising her grandkids cause her daughter is too lazy to raise them herself and I told my cousin that home is not a healthy place for her to be living much less her grandkids and I can smell mold in there when I visit . I told her if she gets sick from the mold in there the authorities will take matters into their own hands because the dr will notify the health department about the conditions of the mobile home and then it will be out of her hands but her head and thoughts are so wrapped up in the religious aspects of her life that she does not want to listen . I cannot imagine someone being so wrapped up in religion that they wont listen to common sense . I don't know what else to do ,,,,I thought maybe I should talk to her pastor ? maybe he could get her to listen since I don't seem to be able too ?
Sounds like me, I am often irrational because of my belief, very irrational.

Following Jesus isn't always rational, it is to go against your own nature and at times, your own benefit. Pentecostals come in so many varieties and I do feel your pain. I was a Pentecostal preacher, had a prison ministry, and me and my family would travel continuously preaching in church all over Texas and the states. We would walk in a church and people would become drunk in the spirit just by looking at us, they would fall on the floor and pass out drunk.

I left that world, I am no longer a Pentecostal, I no longer speak in tongues, I no longer believe I am indwelled with the power of the Holy spirit. I no longer believe in getting drunk in a spirit that I believed was the Holy spirit.

I converted to Judaism.

But trying to deal with a Pentecostal is just about impossible, it is just about impossible to change them, or to change the way they believe, and although I am irrational at times, my Pentecostal family is a thousand times more irrational when it comes to their faith. They are really hard people to deal with. The probblem being is that Most Pentecostals will put all their faith in their preacher even when it contradicts everything God says. A Pentecostal's mind does not work like a Catholic at all, they are coming from an entirely different place.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 10-09-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 10-09-2017, 01:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
The reference your cousin is using is about Christians suing each other: 1Cor 6:6Instead, one brother goes to law against another, and this in front of unbelievers! 7The very fact that you have lawsuits among you means you are thoroughly defeated already. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be cheated? 8Instead, you yourselves cheat and do wrong, even against your own brothers!…
If the landlord is a Member of your cousins congregation or even a Christian in another one this would apply, otherwise to sue would be appropriate if the landlord does not take appropriate action. Withholding rent until the sutuation is redressed is an option in either case. There are also proceedures outlined for coming to an understanding with a fellow Christian who is doing you wrong: Matt 18:15If your brother sins against you, go and confront him privately. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.…
Give your cousin these references and tell her to talk to her pastor about it if she is unwilling to go ahead with action.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Well, she doesn't have to sue.
She can simply notify some organization...say, The Health Dept, a Renter's Advocacy Group...

Jesus said he came for us to have an abundant life...mold is not part of that equation.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:49 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,804,428 times
Quote:
Then why not go out there and do something about the problems.
Mold, septic tank. etc.

Trying to connect behavior and situation to a sect of christianity is a farce.

32 Top Bible Verses About Gossip - Be Encouraged!

Old 10-09-2017, 01:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
IF she has decided that she should not sue or look for recourse in law herself, I would suggest that she withhold rent until the problem is fixed. If the landlord will not comply and seeks to evict then the action is on the landlord and THEN is the time to bring up the problem and the obvious solution.
If she won't do this, I'd say to report the situation to child protective services. Those kids should not be exposed to this.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Then why not go out there and do something about the problems.
Mold, septic tank. etc.

Trying to connect behavior and situation to a sect of christianity is a farce.

32 Top Bible Verses About Gossip - Be Encouraged!

I cant do anything to help her I have no funds to help her . I am also 12 hours away distance wise because I live in another state so tell me how can I help her ? I found all this out through talking to her on the phone and I advised her to go down to the courthouse and file a lawsuit against the landlord and what I posted is what she told me .

Old 10-09-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, she doesn't have to sue.
She can simply notify some organization...say, The Health Dept, a Renter's Advocacy Group...

Jesus said he came for us to have an abundant life...mold is not part of that equation.
I also said the same thing to her . she said if they contact the health department they will evict and they have no where to go .

Old 10-09-2017, 02:30 PM

3,797 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Pentecostals have a different mindset, that is for sure, different to Catholics/ Orthodox/ Anglican, but also to other Evangelicals like Baptists etc. (who do not have the gifts of the Spirit)
I was involved with a group for about 12 months when younger, after an Orthodox friend had converted.
I don't remember that much, they played Christian music in their cars, over the top dancing in the aisles at the church, cross callings and healings etc.
They weren't a cult as such, and in many ways not as bad as some groups, but still very hard to communicate with outside of church gatherings, or about "worldly" things.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,228 times
Quote:
Church involvement might work best for tight-knit cultures like Pentecostal. I'm sure the leadership would be happy to help any way they can.

Not necessarily a need to sue (you need time/money to sue). Just pressure/help the inadequate current owner/renter sell their property to some other richer renter who would actually be able to maintain it properly. It would do everyone a huge favor. The renter would get some cash and be able to downgrade their responsibilities appropriately, and all the tenants would be able to have a renter who can take care of the properties.

I have a feeling that the renter might be lying, or afraid to go public with the conditions of their properties. If everyone is paying their rent (hence not being kicked out) then the renter should definitely have enough money to fix the problems. Otherwise, the rent is too damn low.

Is there no possibility of finding better living space somewhere else?

The passage about "why not rather be wronged than wrong (or bring to justice) others" would apply to the renter, not just the tenants. So why not rather sell than sicken the tenants? Also, there are passages about "Christians can indeed judge today, because in the promised future, the Christians will judge men and [even] angels." So under any sort of Pentecostal Sharia Law, it would also apply that there can be within-Pentecostal-Suits as long as the non-christians don't know about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality