Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 06:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
It's not a question of salvation, it's a question of reward. That is what has skewed the thinking of Christianity. G-d marked Cain so that no man would kill him, yet the Torah which has always been and was known of Adam and his sons, called for death for intentional murder. If it had been necessary for Cain to die before repentance could come, then he would have, because the law ensures that sinful flesh dies one way or the other, period. He focuses on the end result of the process. Peace
There is a very good reason why the Jewish savants of previous years resolved to treat this stuff as symbolic metaphors to teach us our morals and way of life, and not to be taken too literally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 06:36 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I haven't murdered whole races, sanctioned slavery or killed a fig tree for not having fruit out of season. So, I'm clearly better than this mythical god.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
At least in your finite, flawed mind?
One of the best weapons we goddless bastards have is people like yourself wgho say that God can do whatever vile and loathesome stuff He wants because he can get away with it and then still claims to nbe Good.

I hardly ned list the human leaders who have gone down in history as being adulated almost to divine statues by their deluded followers and yet the world has come to regard them as the vilest of the vile.

Of course the religious figures are still getting away with it - especially God.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 AM

712 posts, read 842,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipzBruh View Post
Hi, I was talking with my cousin who is a pastor and comes from a very religious family. I sort have been skeptical my whole life about religion and from time to time we have convos about religion and spirituality.
A lot of stuff in the Bible I question. One of the things we were talking about recently was hell. I told him I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of a loving god allowing a place to exist. My cousin said that humans have free will and people that go to hell "choose" hell. If someone is unrepentant God would be unjust to forgive that person.
Well, I cannot understand this. God can forgive the worst and most evil people as long as they ask for forgiveness and "believe" in him. But a person who lives a fairly "good" life and doesn't really ask for forgiveness and doesn't believe in god will burn in hell for eternity? I do not understand this line of reasoning at all.
Anyone else ever wonder about this or have insight. Thanks!
Very good question, and one that is very difficult to comprehend, unless you KNOW God.
Maybe this will help you:

Hell - is essentially a TOTAL DISCONNECTION from God;
That may not mean anything to you, unless you begin to realize, among other things:

God makes the sun rise every day
God created every molecule of oxygen you breathe
God causes food to grow every season (as well as the soil it grows in, and rain that waters it)
God created animals and fish also to feed you and graced them with never-ending reproduction.
God created you, and all others, and also graced man with never-ending reproduction.
God gives all these things freely - they are physical, and easy to see;
Even without us asking, and most of the time without us showing appreciation.
Yet neither MAN nor 'science' created any of this - we're not in control, yet God knows where every atom and molecule is at every moment . . .
But God also gave you a soul; a spirit that will live long beyond the physical;
He graces us with a gift of love - both for him, and each other - that can last eternal;
and He has many more (countless) spiritual gifts to give us, that we cannot even comprehend.
He even graces us with every spiritual gift that we ASK from Him, as He made us to NEED Him!
And ultimately He gives us FREEDOM - to accept, or reject.
He even provides a way to correct our mistakes - forgiveness thru His Son for all that ask.
Repentance is an understanding & accepting responsibility for the damage our mistakes cause - the worst of which cause others to REJECT God.
If you are unrepentant, then you really don't care about the DAMAGE your mistakes has caused - someone has to REPAIR that damage.
That is why we need Jesus.
If YOU reject God - then you reject all that He created/creates, and all that He has to offer,
and will share in no part of it, as rejecting God is choosing to be TOTALLY DISCONNECTED from Him - Hell!
Hell has to 'exist' in order for you to have a FREEDOM to chose - it's not so much a 'place' that was 'created', but rather an indescribable total absence/disconnection of/from God. God provides EVERYTHING that is good; rejecting that, is choosing the opposite of 'everything that is good'.

Last edited by oldoak2000; 07-27-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 07-27-2017, 08:31 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
One of the best weapons we goddless bastards have is people like yourself wgho say that God can do whatever vile and loathesome stuff He wants because he can get away with it and then still claims to nbe Good.

I hardly ned list the human leaders who have gone down in history as being adulated almost to divine statues by their deluded followers and yet the world has come to regard them as the vilest of the vile.

Of course the religious figures are still getting away with it - especially God.
God CAN do what he wants. And our small minds are not able to, nor should the be worthy of judging him. But hey, fight against him...continue to rebel.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
God CAN do what he wants. And our small minds are not able to, nor should the be worthy of judging him. But hey, fight against him...continue to rebel.
Your god is no more real than Foghorn Leghorn. On crack.

It's the people who think it's real that pose the danger to mankind.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,911 times
Quote:
I'm amazed at the brain damage an old book can cause. I hope you can heal from it.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:15 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Including not revealing itself to curtain people, right?

Old 07-27-2017, 11:49 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Including not revealing itself to curtain people, right?
Why would he want to reveal himself to curtain people? Curtain people can't be trusted...

Do you mean "certain" people"? God has revealed in his creation that he exists. That much is undeniable. The universe declares his majesty simply by existing. But it does not declare the name of Jesus. Jesus can and does choose to reveal himself or not to certain people. That's actually why he spoke in parables.

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 07-27-2017 at 12:01 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 11:50 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
Why would he want to reveal himself to curtain people? Curtain people can't be trusted...

Do you mean "certain" people"? God has revealed in his creation that he exists. That much is undeniable. The universe declares his majesty simply by existing. But it does not declare the name of Jesus. Jesus can and does choose to reveal himself or not to certain people. That's actually why he spoke in parables.
Jesus and god are one and the same, right?

Old 07-27-2017, 02:26 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,088,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

We will, Humans will. because Good an bad is a human concept asd so noone else can or could decide what is Good or bad.

Certainly not a mythical war -god whose definition of good and bad seems to be 'Whatever i say - but not necessarily what I do".

If humans are to draw the line and decide what's good and what's bad, then perhaps we will never collectively agree what is good and what is bad. So what is good and what is bad? Who is going to judge it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality