Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 07:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
Religion...

It has very much to do with arrogance, power, control and collective ignorance.
Yes, Let's not forget keeping us in the dark, always in separation....well, you said ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 07:24 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I guess the difference is that I don't seek out atheist message boards in order to tell them all that they're "afflicted". But hey...to each his own. You feel free to continue in the delusion that you don't hate God.
They don't hate God because they do not believe He exists. But they do hate some of the ugly things you believe about God that cause you to mistreat others and discriminate against them in the name of God.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:41 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
They don't hate God because they do not believe He exists. But they do hate some of the ugly things you believe about God that cause you to mistreat others and discriminate against them in the name of God.
Well said. But don't some of the Bible Believers lump you with us because you are not like them?

Old 07-27-2017, 08:22 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Religions are full of arrogance because religions mostly about humans and humanity. Sure, God or a higher power might be talked about, but that takes a back seat to the ways, actions, attitudes, and stupidities of man and the human race. Man creates, defines, and molds the various religions.

On the other hand, spirituality - the real deal - is awesome. Whereas religions depend on man, and flourish in crap based on man, spirituality does not need any kind of man-made vehicle, and so is direct between the higher power (or God) and us. God and ourselves can exist and communicate with no issues, no bravado, no boasting, no ego-promoting. There's nothing to prove because it's a one-on-one experience. No one else is around to get in the way. There's no one to agree with, nod heads with, pat on the back, or join a club with. No rules to follow, to tithe to pay, no walls to hide from the world behind. Spirituality is anti-religion, and the antidote. It needs no churches and no denominations. I love the purity of it all.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-27-2017 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-27-2017, 08:57 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
In my experience, I've found Christians to be humble. The truly arrogant one is the one that ignores what God has said and declares their opinion to be above his. The truly arrogant ones I've encountered are atheistic in their belief. We see that on display on this very message board. We have atheists and agnostics that frequent these boards for no other purpose but to troll.
Exactly. Atheists are so pompous that I have never once seen an atheist admit that they are wrong. It is arrogant to believe that the mass majority of the world's population are suffering from delusions and atheists are the only truly intelligent ones.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:39 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Well said. But don't some of the Bible Believers lump you with us because you are not like them?
I have few defenders from either camp despite my love of God and each other as a follower of Christ. In truth, the Christians seem most intolerant of my views despite my entire focus on the love of God our Father and Jesus our Savior. I see a very schizophrenic Christianity that reveres love of God and the love of Jesus on the positive side and the fear of the wrath and eternal judgment of God on the negative side. My love has no room for fear and, frankly, I have no idea how anyone can claim to love a God they fear.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Exactly. Atheists are so pompous that I have never once seen an atheist admit that they are wrong. It is arrogant to believe that the mass majority of the world's population are suffering from delusions and atheists are the only truly intelligent ones.
I can't speak for Atheists.

How about an Animist?

I'm one (semi-reluctantly) and I've been wrong a time or 18 in my 6+ decades on the planet.

I've made mistakes. I've chosen dead-ended paths and had to back-track to find, or forge a new one.

Which I did.

Christianity is one of the paths I left behind as I felt it required accepting too many things as true, that I could not.

But that does not mean I hate Christians. Far from it. Most of my loved ones are Christians of various degrees of fervour.

One of the things I've been wrong about is you, jeff. I felt that you had an empathetic spirit but some early-childhood, or young-adult experience had dampened it into near-oblivion.

I felt that eventually, that spirit would win out and over time, we would see that growth in your posts.

But I was wrong.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:50 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
I'll give you a counter example: I was wrong to believe in the existence of the Christian God.

There you have it. An atheist admitting he was wrong about something.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:40 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
This statement: "atheists are the only truly intelligent ones"

Which person said that? I'm really curious, because I don't recall that attitude from anybody posting on these forums, and I've been reading here for nearly 10 years.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:12 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This statement: "atheists are the only truly intelligent ones"

Which person said that? I'm really curious, because I don't recall that attitude from anybody posting on these forums, and I've been reading here for nearly 10 years.
is that a real question? I mean...it's the attitude we get here nonstop from atheists. All day long we get told religion is stupid, that they managed to see the light and escape it, etc. To ask that sounds naive, at best. This forum is overrun with atheists that present the hateful, arrogant attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality