Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:14 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It's not your religion but the attitude that if someone states that they do not believe in any gods but still wishes to discuss religion and society then they must HATE God that is arrogant? And you are not the only one to equate disagreement with hatred. The forum is about religion not about being religious. Myself I find it both entertaining and more importantly educational reading the views of others and yes even challenging them on statements that to me seem downright incorrect.

Arrogance is a personally trait that most likely be found amongst those of every religion and those with none. I find it more likely to be in someone who is far from being a moderate in what they believes that those who are moderate.
Having a discussion is great. I welcome it. But the atheists that come here GENERALLY are not about having a discussion...they come here to make fun of religion, insult us, and hate on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I'll give you a counter example: I was wrong to believe in the existence of the Christian God.

There you have it. An atheist admitting he was wrong about something.
Great example. Thanks for that.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:35 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
This statement: "atheists are the only truly intelligent ones"

Which person said that? I'm really curious, because I don't recall that attitude from anybody posting on these forums, and I've been reading here for nearly 10 years.
I guess you missed this one just the other day:

Quote:

We will have to agree to disagree about there being intelligent people who believe the whole Bible. If you believe in talking snakes/donkeys, God and the Devil betting with people's lives, worldwide floods that covered mountains (And somehow all the vegetation survived, as well as all the animals making their way across the entire globe to new locations after living on an ark that somehow fit them all plus food and a way to get rid of all the crap, even through oceans), parted waters, a person living inside a whale, God making a bear maul 42 kids for calling someone bald, and..... well, you get the picture, you are not what I would call intelligent.

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-fail-170.html

Old 07-28-2017, 10:37 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
I'll give you a counter example: I was wrong to believe in the existence of the Christian God.

There you have it. An atheist admitting he was wrong about something.
And there is the pompous attitude again.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I guess you missed this one just the other day:

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...-fail-170.html
To be fair, I'm sure he's a busy guy and simply doesn't see all the pompous arrogance that is posted by atheists.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:04 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Having a discussion is great. I welcome it. But the atheists that come here GENERALLY are not about having a discussion...they come here to make fun of religion, insult us, and hate on it.
And there are lots of examples of religious people mocking all atheists and even insulting and mocking liberal Christians and believers of non Christian religions. I stand firmly by my statement that there are arrogant people period. Christians, Muslims, Jews, atheists, Hindu. If you wish to claim it is all atheists and that Christians are neither arrogant nor insults you are free to believe whatever you want to.

Some of the religious people also make discussions difficult by their free labeling and insults too. Yourself are also guilty of mockery, insults and arrogance but you do also contribute to debates, discussions and the free exchange of ideas. Maybe we are quicker to see the negatives on those of the other side and tend to ignore or not see those same negatives on our side?

Old 07-28-2017, 11:06 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
To be fair, I'm sure he's a busy guy and simply doesn't see all the pompous arrogance that is posted by atheists.
What is arrogant or pompous about thinking those who believe in talking donkeys and people living in a giant fish are dim bulbs?

Old 07-28-2017, 11:10 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:
Many humans have a fundamental need to feel superior to others (aka they need "bragging rights") and religion is one way to do that.

Other ways are: nationalism, buying status symbols, bullying, flaunting credentials, etc.
Well said. Great post!

Old 07-28-2017, 11:14 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
It is of my opinion that arrogance is the root of most of the problems of humanity. The majority of people who are religious in their religion are arrogant in their ways and actions, in my opinion.

I do not think that religion causes these people to be arrogant. The arrogance was already in them. Their religion only gives them cause and purpose for their inherent arrogance, ignorance and hypocrisy.

Do you think that religion creates arrogance, ignorance and hypocrisy or that arrogance, ignorance and hypocrisy has created religions?
It's pretty arrogant to go from an opinion to ending with a statement of fact because you're assuming that your own perception is the correct way to view the situation.

Also, with your broad blanket statement about religious people you've clearly selected your user name for it's irony.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
And there are lots of examples of religious people mocking all atheists and even insulting and mocking liberal Christians and believers of non Christian religions. I stand firmly by my statement that there are arrogant people period. Christians, Muslims, Jews, atheists, Hindu. If you wish to claim it is all atheists and that Christians are neither arrogant nor insults you are free to believe whatever you want to.
I don't believe that I claimed it was limited to only atheists. Just saying that what I've seen on THIS particular board, we see a lot of atheist <bleep>. That doesn't mean for a second that all atheist are that way, or that Christians can't be arrogant.
Quote:

Some of the religious people also make discussions difficult by their free labeling and insults too. Yourself are also guilty of mockery, insults and arrogance but you do also contribute to debates, discussions and the free exchange of ideas. Maybe we are quicker to see the negatives on those of the other side and tend to ignore or not see those same negatives on our side?
This is a religious forum. I will give my opinion based on what I see the Bible teach about God. Sometimes that will conflict with others.

Last edited by mensaguy; 08-01-2017 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: Referring to another as a "troll" is a personal attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality