Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 07:45 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times

Advertisements

As catholics, we go through the process of a baptism, pick god parents, and go through the ceremony.

I dont get it, why people get all emotional if you dont pick the "right" person. A catholic like me, who does not go to church, cant see why another that practices the same way can get bent not being chosen.

It is expected of me to pick a sibling as god parents, but I see it different. I let the mom choose, even if it is her friend. Why cant siblings get it? Big deal.

I , being a god father, see no real responsability or status in holding this title. If anything would happen to godsons parents, i still have no rights in his care. Anyone of my siblings can open their home to him.

Why would non practicing Catholics be so emotional in my families decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 08:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
As catholics, we go through the process of a baptism, pick god parents, and go through the ceremony.

I dont get it, why people get all emotional if you dont pick the "right" person. A catholic like me, who does not go to church, cant see why another that practices the same way can get bent not being chosen.

It is expected of me to pick a sibling as god parents, but I see it different. I let the mom choose, even if it is her friend. Why cant siblings get it? Big deal.

I , being a god father, see no real responsability or status in holding this title. If anything would happen to godsons parents, i still have no rights in his care. Anyone of my siblings can open their home to him.

Regarding the bolded: Why did you accept the role?

Old 07-28-2017, 06:40 PM

678 posts, read 429,079 times
Quote:

It's suppose to be an emotional bond between the God parent and child. Most people would feel honored to be named a God parent and I would say probably feel some responsibility. If someone is upset you didn't choose them, you could:

1. Hold a grudge
2. Brush it off
3. Communicate your decision better and try to build a better relationship

Old 07-28-2017, 06:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
I'm a godfather to three, now young men. I agreed to become so because I love their parents and was honoured that they felt comfortable in asking me to help raise their child to be a good, ethical citizen, should some calamity befall them and they could not fulfill their parenting responsibilities.

Thankfully, I was not called upon to fulfill that most great of responsibilities for their children. But I have greatly enjoyed being a part of their lives and growing families, as new generations arrive to take the place of mine - headed for the Great Whatever.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Regarding the bolded: Why did you accept the role?
I was never asked, it was like "hey you are his Godfather". It was something I did not think about, and was only assigned because I was not chosen yet.

My god parents, no guidance, and were old school Catholics that did regularly practice the faith. I could only expect a few extra bucks from them occasionally. And say hello with the formalities of saying "hi godparents" instead of "hi aunti and uncle."

Old 07-28-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
It's suppose to be an emotional bond between the God parent and child. Most people would feel honored to be named a God parent and I would say probably feel some responsibility. If someone is upset you didn't choose them, you could:

1. Hold a grudge
2. Brush it off
3. Communicate your decision better and try to build a better relationship
I have brushed it off, but the grudge is held by the other party, and relationship went south.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:28 AM

678 posts, read 429,079 times
Quote:
I have brushed it off, but the grudge is held by the other party, and relationship went south.
That's what I sensed from your original post. The root issue doesn't have anything to do with naming them the God parents but the fact that it's a bad relationship.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:59 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
God parents are called to pray for these children all the growing up and oversee that they do confirm their baptism and even oversee the parents that they do reject the ways of the devil ........ So people who fail to go to church and do not know God would make poor God parents as they could not intercede in prayer for the children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality