Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 04:39 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Can't rep you again, Trans.
Thank you, it for sure isn't for my typing.

But a public inflation of my ego is worth more even than a welcome rep seen only by me.

Adulation. That's what I crave..once I was the top of the heap...then Shirina came along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The message is getting around. Even those who mostly take want to make others think they are really contributing.
Friendly tip. Don't make it a political discussion. Mods jump on that,

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-05-2017 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Maybe that's because the ability to read things in context is a lost art to most skeptics of the Bible. Seriously...it's not that difficult to just read something in context and make an attempt to understand things.
Yes, that's not hard. The difficult bit comes when you have tell understanding the intent of the author from imposing a context of one's own theistic views on it.

It's one reason why the Bible - is -literal -or - metaphorical debate goes on. Apologists impose their own context.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:25 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Thank you, it for sure isn't for my typing.

But a public inflation of my ego is worth more even than a welcome rep seen only by me.

Adulation. That's what I crave..once I was the top of the heap...then Shirina came along...

Friendly tip. Don't make it a political discussion. Mods jump on that,
That darned Shirina eclipses a LOTTA people dang it all!

Old 08-05-2017, 10:20 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Nothing wrong with being eclipsed by Shirina.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Nothing wrong with being eclipsed by Shirina.
Our Shirina can indeed think and write rings around most of us mere mortals.

But she might well trade a few IQ points and a diminished facility with the language in exchange for reduced pain and increased mobility.

We all should do and be, the best that we can do and be, to the best of our abilities.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:17 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
But she might well trade a few IQ points and a diminished facility with the language in exchange for reduced pain and increased mobility.
We all should do and be, the best that we can do and be, to the best of our abilities.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:15 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Yes indeed. And those, Trout, are words of wisdom. I have my challenges and I need to take heed of those words.

I feel for Shirina, even though I don't know her as such. I wonder whether she realizes she has such a fan club right here on CD? She is brilliant! I gave her the katana symbol for her sharpness. I wonder whether I can find it again.

Here it is!

In honour of Shirina

Old 08-06-2017, 03:41 AM

I has a three monkeys piccie for the Other side...wonder where it got to, dang it.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:49 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:
Were the Canaanites wiped out?
They were exhausted.

/rimshot

Old 08-07-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrum View Post
I am surprised at the question, and some of the discussion I've read here. I thought that most were aware that Canaanites and the early Hebrews/Jews were one and the same, with the Hebrews/Jews just being an outgrowth of the Canaanites. In fact, archaeology suggests the only difference was that there was no pig bones in the camps of the Hebrews/Jews, but all other artifacts clearly indicated they were Canaanites.

Of course, I understand that bible literalists would not accept archaeological evidence that contradicts their philosophy. I've learned years back that one can never change firmly held beliefs such as religion by facts.
That's something I'll have to check up. I'd heard that the Hebrews were Amorites and the Canaanites were not. It it likely that the Hebrews, depending on Canaan for their pottery and so on, would use the forms when they replaced the Canaanites, just as they used their script.

I'll see what the latest discoveries indicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality