Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:42 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,001,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
LOL I figured someone might try to pull that. Okay, then don't read any of my posts. The whole point of this forum is to share information and ideas (which I do). I'm also not expecting or wanting any converts to my side (which is fine with me). No conflict of interest there. People can hate what I say too, but I'll still share information and thoughts. Jesus is the only model or example that I might want to emulate, and he was never bothered by anyone, so neither will I. He also instructed us to love our enemies, so peace be with you.
Likewise, despite getting called names, and being mocked, if you don't care to follow Christianity...I'm ok with that. You have that choice.

But please.....let's be honest and realize that yes--we do all like to talk about religion, as you are here doing. It's ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,306,545 times
I don't even know which of my friends are believers or not. A couple of them have said things that lead me to think they are. I know at least 4 of them grew up Catholic but they don't go to church. One of my friends is Jewish and I've asked him a little about the beliefs but he may be an atheist and views it more of a philosophy. He's not orthodox . Another one of my friends is related to that first Jewish friend and I haven't heard her say she was a believer. We are new friends and the topic of life after death came up and both of us were like "who's to say?" although I think she leans way more to the "something" than I do. My hubby has no opinion on it. No one I know goes to church.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:13 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
even the atheist talk religion when they are in danger or close to die.
And God, if there is one, doesn't listen then, either.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yet...you are here on an internet message board telling us about your beliefs, and that anyone that disagrees with you is retarded.
Not hard to figure out at all. The internet and this forum is pretty much anonymous, so most of us feel much freer to talk about our religious beliefs. Talking face to face with friends is not anonymous at all. I have a bit of a fallback position because in all honesty I now only identify as Buddhist. Thus far my friends do not realize that "a god" is not really part of Buddhism.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:48 PM

691 posts, read 419,314 times
its all to possible that "the God of these people " and the " God of those people is the same God telling each culture things that they relate to... leaving one God

not christian, jewish, muslim, hindu ( and all the other ones im too limited to remember )

ive found in no scriptures or God's Words saying God has a religion.

i have found that God separated humanity on purpose and to come together as one understanding is not something God saw as good.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:04 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I don't randomly talk about religion with people I am not sure are open to such conversations, but yes, I have had interesting and multiple conversations with people of my own and different faiths, as well as none, over the years.

I used to work in a place where there was a wide diversity of people, including religions. We had assorted types of Christians, varying levels of observance Jews and Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, a Jain, a few pagans, a number of atheists. We talked a lot over the years. Learned about one another. I was there for 20 years.

You have heard of the place where I worked. It was destroyed by extremist members of one of those religions who saw everyone who wasn't like them as wrong and worthy of death.

People from all of those groups died, and survived, and people from all those groups cleaned up the mess and rebuilt where the destruction occurred.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:26 PM

I am not as dumb about one thing as I was about 25 years.

We had an ESL teacher in my school, and religion came up and she told me she was Bahá'í. I replied, "Oh, I didn't know you were Jewish". She burst out laughing and asked me how I thought Bahá'í was Jewish. I had been thinking of B'nai B'rith. But hey, despite living in the D.C. area at the time, I had been a small town boy brought up on what used to be a farm.

I'm happy to say I have considerably expanded my horizons.

And then there was a time, after I began self-identifying as part Buddhist that 3 teachers who were taking a cultural awareness class asked me if I would take them to my Buddhist temple as part of their class assignment. At first I refused because typically Buddhists are against proselytizing. But after a few days I reconsidered since they were asking me for the experience. Of course, just my luck, but on that day the 10:30 a.m. meditations and lunch were for a funeral, but we were all still very welcomed, and my friends really enjoyed the experience.

Another year, as a principal, I was invited to a nearby Jewish synagogue. And a couple of times was invited to the Muslim celebrations after Ramadan, although to be honest, there I felt a bit "used" since the host was trying to sort of show me off.

Old 10-26-2017, 02:00 AM

691 posts, read 419,314 times
Yea. I agree.. religion is like fashion choice... ain't really a thing that someone else can pick on and have a point that isn't trying to control you

Old 10-26-2017, 02:44 AM

671 posts, read 445,228 times
Religion, Politics, Abortion. Three thing to never discuss with family, real life friends, customers, clients, etc.

Slippery slope and can cause angst because usually its the ol' "think as I do or you are a heathen and are going to hell" crap.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post

Do you talk about religion with your close friends?
If so, what does that conversation look like?
Does everyone take it well?

1. With a few close friends, yes.
2. Depends on the friend and what the conversation is about. To have only one type of conversation makes it preaching, not a conversation.
3. So far, because I am careful which friends I discuss that topic with and the way in which the general topic is approached.

Last edited by phetaroi; 10-26-2017 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality