Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 09:28 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yologuy01 View Post
I feel like i used to be or still am mentally handicapped or have some kind of mental issue. How can a 12 or 14 year old realize that there is no god. I was about 24 when I became atheist. That's a lot of years of my life wasted. I went to church every sunday, didnt have sex, etc. I was a slave ruled by many do's and dont's. How can I live with myself
I think figuring it out at 24 is fantastic. I left my church at 19 but didn't realize they had messed with my mind until I was 45. It really doesn't matter if you did or didn't do certain things, it's in the past. You are free now. There are lots of great support groups on line if you still need to figure some things out and feel understood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:30 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
If you wish to have had non-comital sex with others then release that it is only like sharing a drug. I'm not religious or supernaturalist here, but sex can be dangerous. Lots of diseases and unsafe practices out there. Consider yourself spared. Going to church is about as much of a waste as going to the club every week. But it happens to be healthier, even socially. Count your lucky stars instead. Now you have a lot of experience to possibly relate to others and help out where you can.
That is a great post. A hedonistic life is not all as good as it is once a person suffers from incurable STDs. Of course you can get it treated but it will stay in the body for the rest of your life without a cure. Sure there may be a cure in time, but even so that is a question if it be curable for good. Gonorrhea that used to be considered curable is no longer the case and it is these days showing resistance to medication. Gonorrhea is especially common for young people.

Last edited by other99; 07-31-2017 at 09:52 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 PM

23,156 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
You can still have sex while being religious.

Religion simply regulates sex.

It is hard to understand the idea of the two minds everyone has. There is a law for the flesh, and all are lawbreakers. There is a law for the spirit that has no sin.

None of the laws of Moses were made for the flesh because all flesh fails, it is the hidden law that defines what a person is guilty of.

You celebrate Christmas and Easter?

I say that you are a whooah by the laws of Moses. You are an adulterous, YOUR ARE a homosexual, you have committed adultery against God and gone after every lover on every hill except God's holy mountain.

You will fight against Pesach and unleavened bread and firstfruits, and Shavuot and Yom Kippur, and Sukkot, and Shemini Atzeret and Simchat Torah because you are not the bride of these days appointed for the wedding and the consummation and the honeymoon, and the wedding feast, and the birth of the son from the consummation, and the circumcision of the son from the consummation.

God gave a Ketubah for a bride to marry him and he only chose one people in this world, How many deceived people are there in the world?

How many of you sit there and lie to yourselves in ignorance thinking that you are the bride of Christ?

Are you really the bride of Christ?

That is not the point.

The point is whether the scripture is of you, are you the virgin who has not known her husband and now by some miracle you are pregnant with the seed of God?

Brides are a dime a dozen, but when the bridegroom comes, he will reward each bride according to how they raised his son, and if the bridegroom comes and finds a betrothed bride who has had his son for 40 years and he is still a baby, what will he say to that person?

''You have had my son for 40 years and put him in a corner to starve him that he remains a baby after 40 years? Don't you know that my word is bread, and my spirit is meat? Why have you put my child in a corner as some step child and treated him this way, what have you done to my children? I made you keeper over my house to give my children meat in due season and I come and find a baby still on milk?''

Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Jesus Christ is Not a religion , so if you wasted your life going to a false religion church then you will miss God and the truth of Christ ..... You needed to go to a church were they have evidence of Holy Spirit and do preach the gospel of Christ and Jesus authorship for salvation .....There will God be and the truth

Old 08-01-2017, 04:41 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
For our Op poster (if still around) al these finger -wagging, hectoring posts peddling their own favourite brand of religion must make our Poster thankful to be out of it.

The dire warnings about a life going to crap may be put down to this delusion that atheists just want to live a sinful life. While they (we) may well find the foolish and pointless restrictions imposed for dogmatic reasons can be tossed in the bin along with Dogma, being sensible and responsible is part of the baggage of atheism. It's one reason why atheists seem to be a lower prison and teenage pregnancy rate percentage.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:46 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

The dire warnings about a life going to crap may be put down to this delusion that atheists just want to live a sinful life..
THAT is one of my favorites!! You nasty nasty people!

Old 08-01-2017, 07:01 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
I feel like i used to be or still am mentally handicapped or have some kind of mental issue. How can a 12 or 14 year old realize that there is no god.
I was about 24 when I became atheist. That's a lot of years of my life wasted. I went to church every sunday, didnt have sex, etc. I was a slave ruled by many do's and dont's. How can I live with myself
How can you live with yourself? How do any of us live with ourselves for really big mistakes...hurting someone's feelings, maybe stealing something as a youth, having an affair...and on it goes...
Go to a recommended therapist that will suggest that we all do things that we feel bad about...
he may recommend doing EFT work or EMDR.
Sounds to me you got off light! Are you living with low self-esteem and fear of going to Hell!?
Are you ostracized by co-workers for spouting Bible scripture and judging people
all the time! Nope.

It was in the past, let it go...living in regret is not living at all!
Be happy, enjoy every minute we have here!
Find something positive about the exp...like it saved you from getting a girl pregnant!

Had to add, this is a great post by LuminousT..
Quote:
If you wish to have had non-comital sex with others then release that it is only like sharing a drug. I'm not religious or supernaturalist here, but sex can be dangerous. Lots of diseases and unsafe practices out there. Consider yourself spared. Going to church is about as much of a waste as going to the club every week. But it happens to be healthier, even socially. Count your lucky stars instead. Now you have a lot of experience to possibly relate to others and help out where you can.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 08-01-2017 at 07:12 AM..

Old 08-01-2017, 07:47 AM

160 posts, read 146,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
It's "just enjoying life" only the reptilian brain's purpose. (Call it instinct, Id, etc.). Maybe there really is less baggage now that you are no longer religious, but real life carries baggage also! The harm you suffered from religion was their hedonistic, egotistical outlook on motivation has brushed off onto you and lingers there still. (Heaven is most often a hedonistic reward for not being hedonistic on Earth, wanting allegiance with power and "correctness" is also an egotistical boost). For most men (at least in culture's I've known), sex is also about hedonism and ego. But imagine that you felt so good that you didn't desire to exchange it for sex, that would be so pleasurable (supposed Heaven).

In regards to people who are altruistic/nice. How can one know the difference between having an ego boost and feeling good about what you did?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
In regards to people who are altruistic/nice.
How can one know the difference between having an ego boost and feeling good about what you did?
Biting my tongue here waiting for Loomy... I know the answer!....

Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 AM

20,001 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
I feel like i used to be or still am mentally handicapped or have some kind of mental issue. How can a 12 or 14 year old realize that there is no god. I was about 24 when I became atheist. That's a lot of years of my life wasted. I went to church every sunday, didnt have sex, etc. I was a slave ruled by many do's and dont's. How can I live with myself
Don't waste any more of your life, then, being a slave to old rigid thought patterns.

In any case, particularly at your age it's scarcely a total waste. You would have had to get an education in any event, for example.

I wish that I had not been artificially limited in my choices and thinking during that period of my life too (and quite aways after it -- be thankful you woke up sooner than I did). But it is just that -- a wish. And it is a mistake to blame too much of it on religion. I wasn't just limited because I was religious; I was religious also because I was limited. In other words my rigid idealism, my need to please, my desire for certitude, and various other personal weaknesses simply made me more vulnerable to religion. Plenty of people lose their beliefs in supernatural gods and devils by the time they are "12 or 14"; why didn't you or I? It was just things like fear of not fitting in or being pressured or ridiculed, fear of imaginary sky wizards, fear of reality itself.

In retrospect (I'm 60 now) it couldn't have been other than it was. I am good at some things and suck at others; therefore I came early to the party in some things and late or not at all in other things. So it goes for all of us. None of us is perfect and perfection is an illusory goal anyway.

And lest you think that religion is the only way to "waste" your life or make it needlessly difficult, consider my stepson, who was never a god-botherer but who has OCD and perfectionism issues, and is convinced that he's a hopeless loser who will never amount to anything if he can't hold down a double major with straight A's. All that's done is forced him to pull out of school a couple of times with burnout, and he's how 25 and still facing a year before he gets his undergrad degree.

There are lots of ways to mess up your life during that unfair period of your life when you have the least experience or maturity and the most hormones. All of us manage to bungle it one way or the other. You're not special in that regard. Get over your need for everything to go perfectly. Move on. Let the past go.

Personally I have disappointments galore, but zero regrets. I always did the best I knew how to with the light I had at any given moment. I suspect that if you're honest with yourself, you can say that about yourself, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality