Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,756,093 times

Advertisements

Ever wonder just how the really oddball religions get followers? Like the one that plays with poisonous snakes, or the Scientologists, or the Heaven's Gate cult, and the Jonestown cult.

What makes people naive enough to believe and follow such wackadoos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 08:32 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
I think sometimes when people are searching God and have questions they can be easily swayed by things that make them "feel good" at the time. Actually I think the answer can be summed up in one two words, the devil. He wants people to be confused.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:33 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
One person's folly is someone else's truth. In many respects any thing which is based on faith alone is just plain illogical whether it involves Xenu, Snakes, Fairies , Reverend Moon or a Virgin birth .

I always find it bizarre how some believers smirk at "bizarre" religions when all religions are philosophically speaking completely illogical. Look at the way some Christians posters point the fingers at LDS people. Is it really that much weirder to believe in the Book of Mormon or Ganesh than it is to believe in a young earth creationism ?

I think all Religions are bizarre.
I agree that the more "extreme" sects are more dangerous psychologically and can lead to violence ( though "mainstream " cults have suffered from this too) but when taken purely on face value and with a cold logical brain , no Religion makes sense to me.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I think all Religions are bizarre.
Well, sure...I think they're all pretty out there too. But at least with some of the mainstream ones, I can understand the appeal. What I'm talking about are the really weird ones.

Take the Shakers for instance. Who in their right mind would think that a religion that prohibits sex even in marriage is going to go anywhere?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
There is nothing wrong with playing with poisonous snakes. You need to live a little, lol.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:16 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Well, sure...I think they're all pretty out there too. But at least with some of the mainstream ones, I can understand the appeal. What I'm talking about are the really weird ones.

Take the Shakers for instance. Who in their right mind would think that a religion that prohibits sex even in marriage is going to go anywhere?
I agree with you . I guess it's a different degree of brainwashing. Most sect leaders tend to be charismatic and prey on vulnerable people with feeble minds.

I think all those really "out there" religions attract people who have a very low self-esteem , little education ( most of the time) and who are extremely needy. People who need to feel accepted, absorbed and embraced into the fold and those sects offer this kind of security blanket to emotionally unstable individuals.

It's amazing what people will believe if it is told the right way to them and at the right time in their lives.

One born every second they say and yet I feel mostly sorry for those poor saps as I see them as victims of manipulative and extremely clever "gurus".

It's ultimately very sad that human beings cannot discern between a con job and the truth. Sad also that anyone would feel so lonely as to desire the validation from those quarters.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I agree with you . I guess it's a different degree of brainwashing. Most sect leaders tend to be charismatic and prey on vulnerable people with feeble minds.

I think all those really "out there" religions attract people who have a very low self-esteem , little education ( most of the time) and who are extremely needy. People who need to feel accepted, absorbed and embraced into the fold and those sects offer this kind of security blanket to emotionally unstable individuals.

It's amazing what people will believe if it is told the right way to them and at the right time in their lives.

One born every second they say and yet I feel mostly sorry for those poor saps as I see them as victims of manipulative and extremely clever "gurus".

It's ultimately very sad that human beings cannot discern between a con job and the truth. Sad also that anyone would feel so lonely as to desire the validation from those quarters.
Wow. This describes my parents and their church! It's one of those "prosperity doctrine" mega churches with a celebrity status preacher and hidden finances. Many people leave the church upon realizing its cult-like qualities. My parents are uneducated, needy, and were sucked into the church at a very vulnerable point in their lives.

(RoaminRed would know this mega-church if he keeps up on local news in KC and a certain expose last year in the Star)

Old 03-13-2008, 09:50 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times
Oddball beliefs are an adaptation of religions and cults to test the loyalty of the individual believer to the group. The more oddball the belief, the more faith that is required in the believer.

The more extreme oddball beliefs will appeal to a certain segment of the population as way to demonstrate their exceptional faith.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Wow. This describes my parents and their church! It's one of those "prosperity doctrine" mega churches with a celebrity status preacher and hidden finances. Many people leave the church upon realizing its cult-like qualities. My parents are uneducated, needy, and were sucked into the church at a very vulnerable point in their lives.

(RoaminRed would know this mega-church if he keeps up on local news in KC and a certain expose last year in the Star)
I'm pretty sure I know which one you're referring to. But now you have me worried...I'm going to have to go check and see if I'm still female...

Old 03-13-2008, 11:35 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I'm pretty sure I know which one you're referring to. But now you have me worried...I'm going to have to go check and see if I'm still female...
Oops - Sorry I didn't notice you were a girl Girls should type in pink and boys in blue to keep us all sorted out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality