Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 05:45 PM

15,797 posts, read 6,220,429 times

Advertisements

This video (2 min) is of a 10 year old girl who has a disfellowshipped sister. The disfellowshipped sister attempted to contact the 10 year old before the young girl was baptized because it can be a disfellowshipping offense to have any contact (besides emergency family business) with a disfellowshipped person. Baptized Jehovah's Witnesses are accountable to all rules no matter what age the person become baptized at. After she related her story those in attendance show their approval for the shunning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsjD...ure=youtu.be&a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 06:55 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,481,504 times
disgrace.

I wonder who makes laws that stop us from picking and choosing, to the best of our ability, in favor of all/nothing think law-ing?

Old 08-10-2017, 07:24 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,021,333 times
Arach called it - a disgrace indeed.

Shame on those trained seals for clapping.

And shame on that man-thing on stage orchestrating the outrage.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:02 AM

18,840 posts, read 6,856,466 times
And that's why a legalistic substitute for real Christianity is never a good thing.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:27 AM

25,649 posts, read 21,814,224 times
I am not sure why this is being criticized, well, except that it involves the Jehovah Witness religion that is often under fire.

Does anyone know why the older sister was "disfellowshipped"? Is it possible that what the older sister had done was something that any of us might not want our 10 year old daughter getting involved with if she continued to be in the life of the older sister? Too many unanswered questions to just condemn the actions in the video.

Also, there are religions that practice "shunning". It is something that I approve of. It has its place.

Shunning from the Bible: https://www.gotquestions.org/Bible-shunning.html

Old 08-11-2017, 09:37 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,021,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I am not sure why this is being criticized, well, except that it involves the Jehovah Witness religion that is often under fire.

Does anyone know why the older sister was "disfellowshipped"? Is it possible that what the older sister had done was something that any of us might not want our 10 year old daughter getting involved with if she continued to be in the life of the older sister? Too many unanswered questions to just condemn the actions in the video.

Also, there are religions that practice "shunning". It is something that I approve of. It has its place.

Shunning is for sadists.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:24 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,285,830 times
Quote:

Can you provide a single example of an action by an older sister that by the family shunning her both protects the ten year old and does not harm the older sister? And if I understand correctly in this case it would not be harmful to the younger sister until she was babtisted. JW are not the only religion that shuns their family members if they stray. It is just as wrong for any family to shun a child due to religious reasons. Yes that is my personal opinion. I have also seen families that basically shunned children for non religious reasons resulting in many bitter mean spirited adults from both shunned and non shunned siblings. Parents are here to love and to help their children, not to reject them if they are displeased. If my child was an axe murderer I would still love her and help her in any way other than I would of course turn her in but I would sit there at trail giving all the support she needed. I think being an axe murderer is a little bit worse than dropping out on your faith but maybe because I am one of no faith I am wrong and losing one's religion is worse than being a murderer.

If either of my granddaughters were raped I would support them in every way I could, I would not follow the Bible and either make them marry their rapists or stone them to death. Sometimes your book has things terribly wrong. Even more and more Islamic countries are stopping the practice of marrying off rape victims. Nor do I even accept the notion that back in Biblical times the marrying off to the rapist or the stoning of the woman were actually good for the victim.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:43 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,303,741 times
No words.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,586,413 times
Quote:

What a crock. You people should be ashamed of yourselves. This is nothing more than brainwashing a 10 year old kid.

Here's a hint: If you have to brainwash your follows, your religion is garbage. IF you have to shun your children for something as insignificant as not believing in your cult, your religion is garbage. If you religion has to physically deny people access to their family to keep the family in your cult, your religion is garbage. If your religion teaches you that shunning your child instead of helping them is okay, your religion is garbage. I could keep going, but the people who will read and understand already get it. The people who won't..... well, they are too far gone to be part of society as far as I am concerned.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM

15,797 posts, read 6,220,429 times
Quote:

I put it up because I was raised in this group and I'm trying to expose the Watchtower for what it is. I find it very therapeutic to speak out against a corporation that silenced me as a child. You are right as far as the Watchtower not being the only group that shuns. It's a control tactic of cults and Scientology uses it too. If you notice the girl said that she would have to cut off contact again with her sister (after she was baptized) and it would be too hard. Only as a baptized witnesses can she be disfellowshipped for having contact with her sister, before her baptism that couldn't land her in actionable trouble. After her baptism she can have no contact with her sister or risk getting disfellowshipped and shunned herself. She also said that contact with her sister would harm her relationship with Jehovah. She didn't say her sister was into bad things and she was worried about that.

If a person decides they want to leave the group they can write a letter of disassociate themselves. They can commit no other sin except not wanting to be part of the group. They are to be completely shunned as well. Most people who leave just play spiritually weak and fade away. They are called inactive and are shunned by the congregation but get to keep their family (usually some families shun an inactive but most do not). That's what I was for 27 years. It's seems they are cracking down on us too because after 27 years out my mom was told I was to be "viewed as disfellowshipped". My offenses (mind you, I was 46 freaking years olf at the time)...smoking and celebrating holidays. I offered to quit smoking (and since have) but it was a no go. There are instructed to treat us as dead...not even an email. It's not like I tried to entice her into a cup of egg nog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality