Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 02:45 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Sure it does. Right there in the passage you quoted.

Yet, he kept on doing it.
Quote:

I found out major things I was believing about God were a "sham", three times. (Bible-God hell believer to Bible-god Univesalist believer to no-god believer to just plain ol' God believer). It didn't make me want to live differently at any point in time. I still wanted/want to live for others as much as I did before. I still wanted/want to do and be better.
Weird how you claim to follow the Bible but then you turn around and deny all the things it teaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
The initial shock would take some getting used to, but I can't think of anything I'd change or do differently.

Great topic, Trout!

Old 08-11-2017, 03:20 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I hope you don't mind, Trout, but seeing this title too many times made this play in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4K3FWlWAWI

Old 08-11-2017, 03:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I hope you don't mind, Trout, but seeing this title too many times made this play in my head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4K3FWlWAWI
Good tune. I like a few of their things.

Glad you posted the words because I had no clue. Would just head-bang in the car - in a dignified, senior-citizen manner - to the chorus.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:35 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Good tune. I like a few of their things.

Glad you posted the words because I had no clue. Would just head-bang in the car - in a dignified, senior-citizen manner - to the chorus.

I always want to read the lyrics to a song I like, and since God gave us YouTube, it has been easier to do so.

My daughter saw them at Firefly, a big annual music festival in Delaware, back when they were not well known. Firefly helped make them known, and two years later she was back there and they were there again thanking everyone for helping them succeed.

I didn't really know this song, but whatever music source the deli next to where I work uses, it is playing this song around lunchtime whenever I eat there, and it caught my ear.

Old 08-11-2017, 03:38 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Yet, he kept on doing it.
So you acknowledge that you were mistaken and that, yes, the desire to do good and not do evil is what Christianity's idea of being a "new creation" is about.

And so, how about responding to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And, here's the thing, Baptist Fundie. If others who do not believe as you do have the same level of desire to do "good" and not do "evil" as you do, and you have NO more ability/power as a Christian to do/not do those things than others do, then what exactly do you think the draw to Christianity would be for others? It seems you realize there would be no draw, and that is why you use the threat of hell/eternal punishment for not embracing your beliefs.
Also, about this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie
Weird how you claim to follow the Bible but then you turn around and deny all the things it teaches.
1. I don't claim to follow the bible.
2. I don't deny all the things it teaches.

Last edited by Pleroo; 08-11-2017 at 04:04 PM..

Old 08-11-2017, 03:57 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you, Pleroo. I love this, and it parallels my experience somewhat. I tried to get rid of Scary God by believing in No God, but I had a hard time believing in No God. In a bad time of my life when I felt completely alone (this was called "marriage") and was desperate to have something to hang onto, I began to pray again but Scary God seemed to only answer, "You got married in church and this is your destiny to take care of this addicted, abusive man. Suffer."

Eventually the marriage was over and I ended up in therapy and realized that much of what Scary God said was really the intrusive thoughts that accompany OCD. Meanwhile, 9/11 happened at the time that I was back in a No God phase, and the reaction of much of the Christian world to what happened only reinforced that. My Muslim/Jewish/Hindu/Pagan/Atheist coworkers died or ran out of those buildings alongside me, and it didn't seem to make a damn bit of difference what they believed or wore on their heads.

But, it was still there, lurking underneath the surface, and so I began again, this time shoving the voice of Old Scary God out and listening for Real God. That helped. Also, Real God wasn't as definable and easy to put in a box as Old Scary God, and I began to think that maybe Real God comes in many disguises and that none of us have a handle on who or what Real God might actually be. I am in a Christian (Episcopal) Church because of various circumstances and I found a community there when I needed one, but I am a "many paths up the mountain" believer. I like learning about other people's POVs of who or what Real God might be, even if they don't call it God at all. It only enriches my spirituality.
Thanks MQ, for sharing that. I really love hearing about your journey. God beliefs :shaking head: ... so powerful in both directions. They can lift up, but they can also be very destructive.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:16 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Well when that sun god heals you, speaks to you, teaches you, touches you with His hand, ect., get back to me. You're right about one thing; He's the reason you exist. Peace
the system heals you in many ways.
the system teaches you.
the system "touches" you with its hands, paws and claws.
The system is the reason you exist as you are.

I just found out that the second comma in third line was removed by printers to save ink. I wonder if that is true.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
OCD can effect us all. From believing in an all loving thing-a-ma-*** to believing an all evil thingie. OCD comes in levels and rows. from twitches, to fatal flaws, right up to debilitating.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Since the carnal milk was required over 2000+ years ago, I am satisfied that my views and understanding informed by over 2000+ years of spiritual evolution and information is more likely to be the MATURE one than your adherence to the ancient one.

And that would be great for you, if not for the fact that it has NADA to do with intellectual accomplishments. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality