Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 08:01 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Who's suppressing it?
The people who believe that what is taught in a science classroom should actually BE science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Societies seem to discover your version of the "Word" regardless of time, place, and culture since without it societies and, indeed, civilization could not survive. Unfortunately, there are plenty of individuals, however, who are more interested in so-called "enlightened self interest" (i.e. me first and to hell with everyone else). In fact, there are enough of these people that humanity has essentially stagnated in many crucial areas. It would seem your idea of the "Word" is losing ground to greed, avarice, selfishness, materialism, and the acquisition of wealth and power.

Too bad, really ... because I'm not one bit opptimistic about humanity's future. Not one single bit.
You have a misapprehension of the term "enlightenend self-interest." What you describe is just "self interest" or greed. And boy are we seeing THAT in action at this time in history, however, when you add the term "enlightened," you change the meaning to the perception that it is in our ultimate interest to work in society to help make its benefits available to everyone, both to have a healthier support base and because a jacquerie can get REALLY ugly. "Apres moi le deluge" may be fun, but if the flood comes before you are finished it can be uncomfortable.

At the moment all we can do is hope that seeing the kind of ....jerks...who are in moderate control of the system will be a period of enlightenment. Dedication to a good cause often comes from horror at a bad one.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The people who believe that what is taught in a science classroom should actually BE science.
Have they managed to see off the lawyer tricks to redefine science to not be science and ID to not be creationism?

I couldn't be bothered to take the poll, by the way.

'excuse' is hardly the term. Who are we supposed to be "excusing ouirselves" to? Whichever religion the believer believes, they could expect to find themselves having to explain whey they never even thought of reading the Word of the other religions.

"You just stuck your fingers in the ears, shut your eyes and refused to consider anything but what you'd been spoonfed from infancy?"

"Well, yes...but after all, I'm as you made me. So why is it my fault?"

"Since you field an atheist argument, I'll say that I made them the same way. But they didn't stick their fingers in their ears; they used the brains I'd given them, and came to the best conclusion. Which is why they were first through the gates. You infidels have some explaining to do."

"Infidels..? Then you are...?"

"Check the Ayatollah scowl, baby."

"Then the muslims..."

"...the worst of the lot. The crap their book had me saying!."

"Then who can be saved?"

"That's the question you should have considered - really considered, not just rejected and relied on Faith - when you were on earth and still able to use your brains and talk to others who used theirs."

It's still not too late, folks. Guns or butter?....no! I mean Buns or gutter?...no, no, I mean faith or reason?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-23-2017 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-23-2017, 09:56 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
That's like recruiting for the other team, isn't it?

Why would you promote the Jewish messiah if you're not a Jew?

It goes back to my original post, actually. Most Christians call Jesus their savior and messiah -- except when they say this, they're (often unknowingly) referring to Hebrew prophecies found in the Old Testament.

If Jesus is the true messiah, he would be the savior of the Jews, not the gentiles (the Christians following the Christ Cult). Yet the Jews don't believe that Jesus *is* their messiah -- which means Jesus isn't the messiah of anything or anyone. There is no mention of a general, all-purpose messiah for everyone since the entire Old Testament was written by Hebrews for Hebrews. The Christ Cult merely hijacked it and tacked on their own ideology and philosophies.

Which means if you're not a Jew yet promote the Jewish messiah, you must be promoting someone that hasn't arrived on this planet yet.
I practice Judaism while believing in a Jewish Messiah. Christianity was a legal sect of Judaism for over 100 years, If I sell a Christian Messiah, I sell Tammuz, the Babylonian Messiah, but I believe in Jesus and his 7 feasts, and he came teaching secrets of the Torah, not bringing it down. Jesus said that whoever keeps the laws of Moses and teaches others to keep the laws of Moses that they would be the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. The only people doing this is Jews in Judaism, I follow their lead.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Nor are the people you are trying to convince that the Jewish religion is God's religion, and it's not for them either. They have always made a place for wannabe's, but they don't have room for "Messianic."
You should think about joining us in reality.

''If you have seen me, you have seen the father.''

Who do you suppose the father of Jesus is other than the author of the Old Testament?

What do you suppose you are doing when you bring down the God of the Old Testament other than canceling out any claim you have that a Messiah even exists?

You show the God of the Old Testament and his religion to be evil, then why claim a Messiah at all when the father is evil? If the father is evil then the son if evil and you don't even have a claim.

Your idea is to Christianize any pagan God and to keep the ways of any other God but the God of the bible and his son who walked in the laws of the God of the Bible. A Christian's ONLY claim is that Jesus walked perfectly in the laws of his father in order for him to be able to redeem you, BECAUSE walking in the laws of God made him RIGHTEOUS.

You refuse the Passover altogether, what Passover do you mean if you try and sell Jesus as a Passover?

You have no Passover lamb, ADMITTEDLY.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:36 PM

The "Father" Jesus talked about was not the author of the OT (It had many authors and several concepts of the nature of God) but the one a few "prophets recognized, notably Jeremiah, Isaiah and Micah, but that was not about the religion at all, any more than what Judaism today is about the temple sacrificial system that was the major part of Judaism in Jesus' day.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
The "Father" Jesus talked about was not the author of the OT (It had many authors and several concepts of the nature of God) but the one a few "prophets recognized, notably Jeremiah, Isaiah and Micah, but that was not about the religion at all, any more than what Judaism today is about the temple sacrificial system that was the major part of Judaism in Jesus' day.
Again, all you do is prove the bible wrong, and you prove that there is no Messiah, that is all you do.

Those are God's words to Adam, to Moses, to the prophets, word of God given, not the word of man. If it is not the word of God, then there is no God of the bible. All you do is bring God down, he aint with you in Babylon.

Old 08-23-2017, 12:49 PM

All YOU do is show that your need for some kind of authority OTHER than that promised by Jesus overrides good sense.

Old 08-23-2017, 02:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
All YOU do is show that your need for some kind of authority OTHER than that promised by Jesus overrides good sense.
wow. irony at its finest.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:12 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
I just love a doctrinal duff -up. When the last one is standing, come and tell me which is the right doctrine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality