Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there any excuse or reason for not hearing "The Word"?
Yes, it could easily happen and is excusable 5 20.83%
Yes, but only in very rare and exceptional circumstances 1 4.17%
No, there is simply no excuse, "The Word" is how we will be judged 5 20.83%
The Word is not how we will be judged anyway/ or we cease to exist 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:21 PM

22,174 posts, read 19,217,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'd like to see the answer to that as well. Anytime I see phrases like : The word, the way, the truth, the path mind control alarm bells go off in my head. Those are the words of high control groups. Mine referred to their religion as THE Truth. What differs is how they use the words. The truth can mean many different things to different people but if you are in a manipulative group it means that ONLY they have the truth and it cannot be gotten anywhere else. So the word that you are referring to; is it THE Word or it is A Word?

oh, like Nate. in the post below.
I agree. you make a very good point L8Gr8.
the words of high control groups indeed.

if any group claims to be the only way to God, they do not have a clean motive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You may have a point, in that Mystic recognizes that mainstream religion has gone off the rails, and that Islam points out areas where that happened: making a religion out of the faith and the Way Jesus taught, regardless of what the relationship of Father and Son is. However, they, as Mystic pointed out make the same error themselves with a different focus for adulation and a different set of rituals and laws and other forms.

Mystic might have moved on to Buddhism/Taoism and/or humanism but for his conviction of the divine, so until someone points out a faith tradition that more closely matches the consciousness he "encountered" he is stuck on "The Way" Jesus taught, and so, for one, am I.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-15-2017 at 02:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 01:23 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
It's not nonsense. Do you believe there is a world besides this one, or do you think the material world you can see is all there is? And if so, would not that world not have it's own set in concrete sort of how things are? Peace
I nor any other human alive "knows" anything other than our current world. You are welcome to "believe" what you wish, but it is silly to claim you would "know" of an afterlife/ other world.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:25 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,043,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
I nor any other human alive "knows" anything other than our current world. You are welcome to "believe" what you wish, but it is silly to claim you would "know" of an afterlife/ other world.

No, actually, that's not true. It IS possible to know the world that is spirit, through His Spirit that you can receive. It's a real experience, not a mental assent to some esoteric philosophy or man made religion. Peace

Old 08-15-2017, 01:41 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,171,699 times
Quote:
No, actually, that's not true. It IS possible to know the world that is spirit, through His Spirit that you can receive. It's a real experience, not a mental assent to some esoteric philosophy or man made religion. Peace
Just your opinion. I'm sure the multitude of suicide bombers would say the same thing about Allah. At least "before" they push the button.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:46 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How do you know this? WHere did you find out about it?
The Spirit used the tool I have described among others. What authority would you THINK I could follow?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:07 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The Spirit used the tool I have described among others. What authority would you THINK I could follow?
So it's "The Spirit"? That's it? You expect me to believe the Spirit has been talking to you and that's how you condemn all us "fundies" because we choose to believe what God said already to what you say now?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Just your opinion. I'm sure the multitude of suicide bombers would say the same thing about Allah. At least "before" they push the button.

Again, it's not an opinion if it happens. And when it does, there is NO QUESTION in your mind that it is NOT the same spirit as a suicide bomber of Allah. Just sayin'....Peace

Old 08-15-2017, 02:19 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Again, it's not an opinion if it happens. And when it does, there is NO QUESTION in your mind that it is NOT the same spirit as a suicide bomber of Allah. Just sayin'....Peace
I heard you describe your experiences and "knowing" that it is this God you believe in. How did you come to that conclusion? Did you evaluate each experiences on its own merit, or did you compare it to and relate it to the other experiences to determine their origin?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I heard you describe your experiences and "knowing" that it is this God you believe in. How did you come to that conclusion? Did you evaluate each experiences on its own merit, or did you compare it to and relate it to the other experiences to determine their origin?

How can I describe to you adequately a meeting with the Creator of all that is, and it's effect on every aspect of your being, including the physical one? Words are nearly impossible to convey it. I was agnostic, firmly agnostic. I tell you, the experience shook me to my core, and I was LITERALLY, observably, different from one day to the next, so much so it affected those around me because they KNEW something, some indescribable SOMETHING, had happened to me. And then, one by one, over a few weeks to 4 years, all experienced the same earth shattering thing.

He said I stand at the door (of your heart) and knock, and if any man will answer me I will come in.....and that's EXACTLY what He does. And after that NO MAN can tell you it's not real, it didn't happen, it's your imagination, or any of a hundred excuses they can come up with to validate their own opinions of it. It is what it is, EXACTLY like He said it is. And you know what? I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT WAS WRITTEN IN A BOOK; no one told me until after the fact.

And when I read that part for myself, and understood it, and realized that what had happened to me was written in a book, I went out and bought that book and studied it in the original languages, shutting myself up with it and nothing but study, alone for 2 years. And in that time, I EXPERIENCED everything that book said I would if I believed. EVERYTHING. I'm only alive having this conversation with you right now because I believed the book said He's a healer. Peace

Old 08-15-2017, 02:40 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
For the same reason that Paul wrote in Romans 1 that people KNOW God really exists, but they choose to rebel anyway, and God gives them over to their selfish desires.

Because I don't believe that atheists are TYPICALLY willing to look at the evidence. You may be the exception--I don't know you personally. I think ultimately most atheists are more concerned with their own needs than to worry about what God expects of them.
Why would anyone logically choose to rebel if they know that they will be punished forever for a very finite amount of doing as they please? Satan and his demons supposedly actually directly interacted with God and had as much certainly as is possible that God exists and knowing with absolute certainty of the results of their rebellion, they chose to rebel. I don't see how this much certainty can be attributed to humans' knowledge of God. I know other people of other religions who would claim that you have knowledge of their God(s), but choose to rebel. How would you convince them that your knowledge of their God is not legitimate and that you are not rebelling against them?

From speaking with many other atheists, I have been told by the vast majority that they were once as convinced as many Christians here claim that God exists, but when confronted with the evidence decided that they had no good reason to believe it anymore. This process is much more painful than you might be able to imagine, to discard what your parents and other respected adults, friends, and family have told you, demonstrated to you, and to what they have devoted their lives. Not only is this a revelation that affects one's beliefs, but in most cases, it also affects one's social, professional, and family lives. As many gay men and women will argue when asked why they choose to be homosexual, why would someone choose to make such a change? One would not likely choose to be homosexual as one would not likely choose to believe (or not believe as is the case here), when so much is at stake, socially, financially, and personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality