Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 11:14 PM

11,016 posts, read 5,975,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
I think the main reasons for atheists to be atheists is because they got
their basic religious knowledge from Distorted holy books .
Nah. We're just not suckers for BS that's all. We can see through the cr*p and ask questions and think for ourselves.

Also, in the free world we don't get threatened with death if we don't 'believe' something. Although we do get threatened with hell and eternal damnation. Mostly by people who have never been there and therefore have no knowledge to that effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:44 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,366,348 times
Hell is not real, as I explained to Transponder.

The main reason to become a Christian (not a fundie) is to stave off depression and to have a sense of community. And to have a sense that, yes you're okay the way you are. If you don't need that, you don't need that.

Anyone who threatens you with hell if you don't obey is on a power trip.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:15 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Nah. We're just not suckers for BS that's all. We can see through the cr*p and ask questions and think for ourselves.

Also, in the free world we don't get threatened with death if we don't 'believe' something. Although we do get threatened with hell and eternal damnation. Mostly by people who have never been there and therefore have no knowledge to that effect.
Yes. It's a favourite ploy of the believer to claim that atheists have been misled or have never been shown the Truth. They forget that half or so of atheists used to be believers and stopped being believers because they saw though the crap they were being peddled. Now, this is a reality check for we lifetimers, because that's what we found as well. Just that we started questioning a bit sooner, that's all.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:45 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times
Didn't read the whole thread but hopefully someone pointed out, that in olden times, it would be quite easy to get a rough estimate of something like this - Just get a corpse, take all the soft gunk off of it, count the joints. EZ

Old 10-03-2017, 02:21 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,663,357 times
another evidence

The science recently discovered that the stones that were used to build the pyramids were made by heated mud

And Pharaoh said: O chiefs! I know not that ye have a god other than me,
so kindle for me (a fire), O Haman, to bake the mud;
and set up for me a lofty tower in order that I may survey the god of Moses;
and lo! I deem him of the liars. The Holy Quran

Old 10-03-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
another evidence

The science recently discovered that the stones that were used to build the pyramids were made by heated mud
And Pharaoh said: O chiefs! I know not that ye have a god other than me,
so kindle for me (a fire), O Haman, to bake the mud;
and set up for me a lofty tower in order that I may survey the god of Moses;
and lo! I deem him of the liars. The Holy Quran
They are not. They are sandstone, I believe, and were coated in white limestone, which much have looked great when they were new.

However, that passage doesn't commit itself to the Pyramids, and the Egyptians did use bricks for a lot of building that didn't need to Last. But the idea of using them for a tower is very odd. Since it sounds much like the reason why men built to tower of Babel, to reach to heaven (which is not a bad description of what a Ziggurat was for) it sounds like the Quran has confused the Babel story with Pharonic Egypt, which had no Ziggurats. And the Step Pyramid of Djozer is Not a ziggurat, if you happen to come across it It is a transitional form between the early flat Egyptian tombs and the pyramid.

It looks like your Quran is displaying its' lack of knowledge yet again.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:54 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,663,357 times
another evidence

the science in this era discovered that the more you go high above the service of the sea
the more the oxygen is reduced and that naturally will impact the chest.

this fact is mentioned more 1400 years ago by Allah the creator via his final messenger The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)
And when there comes to them a sign (from Allah) they say: "We shall not believe until we receive the like of that which the Messengers of Allah had received." Allah knows best with whom to place His Message. Humiliation and disgrace from Allah and a severe torment will overtake the criminals (polytheists, sinners) for that which they used to plot.
And whomsoever Allah wills to guide, He opens his breast to Islam;
and whomsoever He wills to send astray,
He makes his breast closed and constricted, as if he is climbing up to the sky.
Thus Allah puts the wrath on those who believe not. The Holy Quran

Old 10-06-2017, 10:24 AM

11,016 posts, read 5,975,337 times
Were there no mountains 1400 years ago?

Old 10-06-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
another evidence

the science in this era discovered that the more you go high above the service of the sea

this fact is mentioned more 1400 years ago by Allah the creator via his final messenger The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him)
And when there comes to them a sign (from Allah) they say: "We shall not believe until we receive the like of that which the Messengers of Allah had received." Allah knows best with whom to place His Message. Humiliation and disgrace from Allah and a severe torment will overtake the criminals (polytheists, sinners) for that which they used to plot.

Now that's quite a good one. One could argue that climbing mountains would cause exertion but to get reduces oxygen would take higher mopuntains that they have in Arabia. So, given, that the Quran does get thing wrong and thus this cannot be advances scientific knowledge, anyone have an explanation?

Well, the only one there is, is that it is describing as a simile the effects of climbing, not just flying, say, to altitude. There are some mountains in the middle east around 3.000 m. at which altitude sickness is experienced. And of course when climbing - that term is used - one doesn't need to get all that high to become seriously short of breath. That's even without the the heat.

Note that climbing to the sky implies climbing a high mountain, and not just a hill. The point is also made that strictly speaking under altitude sickness the chests expands rather than contracts, so although the description is fair enough relating to exertion in climbing a mountain to where the air is getting thin, I think adequate explanation can be made and and it doesn't work as advanced science knowledge.

Now, T/T, let's see what you can do with non -science in the Quran.

The Qur'an states that Alexander the Great traveled to where the sun sets and to where the sun rises. This is impossible on a spherical earth, since there is no specific place where the sun goes "down". Furthermore, the Qur'an states that the sun literally goes into muddy water when it "sets".

"Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness. .... Till, when he reached the rising-place of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had appointed no shelter therefrom.
" (Qur'an 18:86-90).

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-06-2017 at 04:52 PM..

Old 10-06-2017, 04:36 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
Quote:
another evidence

you mean they never climbed a mountain till mohammed? someone better tell that iceman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality