Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2020, 05:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
my comment are similar to the below one from elwill

That is a good point. But raises the question of - who says it is the work of an illiterate man? The book itself.

I would argue that the book appears to have originated in the Abbasid court (which had a fluent and advanced poetic tradition) which would have as advanced a knowledge as any other culture of the time did.

The Quran was sent out and anything else was destroyed (rather as in Constantine's time, The Bible was written to their approval and all earlier copies got rid of). The claim that it was compiled out of the memories of companions of Muhammad and some passages written on bits of stone and leather is not terribly convincing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 06:26 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
that is branching and stretching the fact
the great wall of china is not sphere and of course it was only a sample

the cause of the universe is the big bang
but the big bang was controlled and it result was planned
its also attacks the notion of using what we do know to explain what we don't know. they really try and dislodge us more than discussing what we are talking about.

because the great wall is made of stone does not mean everything is made of stone. It means, when they built big walls back then, what do we think they used?

now lets get back to you.

using what we know, the universe being born isn't a terrible notion. based on what we know.

saying a giant deity Allah must have made it is equally invalid as saying the great wall of china is stone so the sun is made of stone to.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
It is amusing when fundamentalists 'attack' my position by making the same argument I have made.

Old 02-16-2020, 09:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
In answer to the original post. How could he know the number of bones? Find a dead body, count bones, there ya go. Its really not that deep. Probably lots of dead people then.

Old 02-18-2020, 12:09 PM

2,774 posts, read 2,669,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
In answer to the original post. How could he know the number of bones? Find a dead body, count bones, there ya go. Its really not that deep. Probably lots of dead people then.
that was not the method The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) knew that
otherwise it would not be considered as one of his miracles.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:04 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
that was not the method The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessing of Allah be upon him) knew that
I don't know why you guys need magic. Muhammad was a general and thus he bestowed general traits onto Allah.

Old 02-18-2020, 03:45 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
But there is another explanation- when the Quran was written (after the time of Muhammad - pr so I argue..in fact it is known that the Quran as we now have it, was 'compiled' after the time of Muhammad, (1)the use of earlier sayings being claimed)it included the knowledge of the time at a sophisticated court with acess to the writings of the Greek physicians, scientists and philosophers.

And the clobber -point is that the claim of fresh and salt water not mixing is false. That completely floors the claim of miraculous information.

(1) Uthman ibn Affan (Arabic: عثمان بن عفان‎, romanized: ʿUthmān ibn ʿAffān; 579/583 – 17 June 656), also spelled by the Turkish and Persian rendering Osman, was a son-in-law and notable companion of the Islamic prophet Muhammad, as well as the third of the Rashidun, or "Rightly Guided Caliphs". Born into a prominent Meccan clan, Banu Umayya of the Quraysh tribe, he played a major role in early Islamic history, and is known for having ordered the compilation of the standard version of the Quran

Caliph Uthman, That's the one, and it was the (first) Rashidun caliphate, not the Abbasid (which was the third). My memory let me down there.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:33 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Quote:
Hang on a minute - are you saying that even though it would be a simple matter to count the bones of a dead body and thus determine the number of bones, Muhammad did not do that - instead he was informed by Allah? And yet many people before Muhammad's time already knew the number of bones because they had counted them?

But what puzzles me more is that there are far bigger questions out there like the number of stars in a galaxy and the number of galaxies in the universe and the size of the universe and yet Allah tells Muhammad the number of bones in the human body like it's some kind of revelation? Something men have known for ages?

And the life span of a fly? Like it's important or something?

Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Hang on a minute - are you saying that even though it would be a simple matter to count the bones of a dead body and thus determine the number of bones, Muhammad did not do that - instead he was informed by Allah? And yet many people before Muhammad's time already knew the number of bones because they had counted them?

But what puzzles me more is that there are far bigger questions out there like the number of stars in a galaxy and the number of galaxies in the universe and the size of the universe and yet Allah tells Muhammad the number of bones in the human body like it's some kind of revelation? Something men have known for ages?

And the life span of a fly? Like it's important or something?
I know.

I feel as if we are chatting with someone from that time.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:25 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
If there is a plausible alternative, it is irrational to pretend a miracle was involved, especially when Muhammad was wrong so many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality