Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2020, 08:36 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times

Advertisements

I know the OP is a dedicated Muslim who idolizes his own "scripture."

Personally, I doubt there are "unquestionable" evidences about anything anywhere. Not even gravity which most recently has been theorized to have an "anti-gravity" property. If gravity was "unquestionable" why wouldn't the continually spreading universe be slowing down instead of speeding up--which has been shown is what is really happening.

At best "evidence" can be shown to move one's grasp of truth in one direction or another.

For instance, here is a recent report today of archaeology "proving" the "possible" reason behind Jesus being rejected by people in Nazareth where He was raised.

Quote:
Biblical story of Jesus possibly explained by excavations in his hometown of Nazareth. [First there is nothing in the article "proving" Jesus, but there is evidence that supports some stories in the Bible]

---a new study has uncovered more of its secrets, finding that the people of Nazareth rejected Roman culture and even revolted against the Roman Empire around A.D. 70.

The researcher of the study also found that Nazareth was likely larger than thought during the time of Jesus. The findings might help to explain some stories of Jesus described in the bible.

Nazareth's opposition to Roman cultural practices and objects would have stood in stark contrast to its neighbor, a city called Sepphoris, which embraced Roman culture, including imported objects.
--------
---farmers near Sepphoris used human waste as manure despite this practice being forbidden under some interpretations of ancient Jewish religious law; meanwhile, farmers near Nazareth avoided this practice.

People buried in Nazareth also seem to have preferred what archaeologists call "kokhim" tombs, which are cut into rock and have an entrance closed off with a rolling stone — a type of tomb that is similar to the one where Jesus was buried in the New Testament. This tomb design is seen in other parts of Israel and those buried in the tombs may "have wanted to express a strongly Jewish identity," Dark wrote in his book.

Dark emphasized that his study is not meant to shed light on the bible, but the results may help to explain some stories of Jesus that are told in the Bible.

For instance, biblical stories say that, despite growing up in Nazareth, Jesus was poorly received when he visited his hometown during his ministry. Even some of his own family members were not happy with him. According to the Gospel of Mark, Jesus said that "a prophet is not without honor except in his own town, among his relatives and in his own home" (Mark 6:4).

The archaeology of Nazareth, which shows that people in the area strongly rejected Roman objects, values and practices regarded as impure, may have contrasted with some of Jesus' teachings, Dark told Live Science. "The all-encompassing message of salvation being presented by Jesus might also have been controversial to local people who may have sought to create a cultural barrier between themselves and the Romans."

Also "comparing the teachings of Jesus about religious purity with what seems from archaeological evidence to have been the local cultural attitudes of people in Nazareth, suggests that local people in Nazareth would also have found those teachings in contrast with their own perceptions of what was pure and impure," Dark said.

In the biblical stories, Jesus expresses a lenient view of ritual purity, at least in regard for food, saying that "there is nothing outside a person that by going in can defile, but the things that come out are what defile" (Mark 7:14). This seems to contrast with Dark's and others' archaeological findings at Nazareth, which suggest that people in the town practiced a strict interpretation of purity.
https://www.livescience.com/jesus-ho...scoveries.html

So please don't accuse me of claiming the Bible is "true." It's just that the EVIDENCE we have appears to support the underlying veracity and reasons for some stories that occurred in the Bible.

I'm sure some christians will call the above "unquestionable" evidences, just as the OP thinks his evidences are "unquestionable."

Failing to question, is failing to think. Hasn't one thing to do with "faith."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 09:29 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
in my recent post I did not write any verse from the Holy Quran and you keep repeating that
the Quran was written later , as if some one is under some influence without realizing and it making him take wrong decision.
I think it is time to refresh .
I am sure that the main arguments: fresh and salt water, the knocking star, the 360 joints, the sun sinking into the Marsh and the battle in the 'low place', human reproduction, are all from the Quran. The 'Fly's Wing cure' nonsesne is from the Hadiths. Though I bet if it wasn't demonstrably wrong, you'd be waving it about as Proof that Islam is true.

No, The Number of Joints, human reproduction are contemporary medical knowledge, (if one isn't too critical), the knocking star is nothing to do with pulsars, the sun sinking into the marsh shows a human perspective, the fresh/salt water is simply wrong (apart from a human limited understanding ) and the battle of Antioch, if this is how it looks totally stuffs the Quran - if the Low Place is from the Quran. (I'm pretty sure that it is).

You have, TT, done your very best to validate the Quran as True, and even the dictated word of Allah. But if (as seems p[retty clear) it is incorrect in just a few important details, I think that does for it and the credibility of the 2nd largest religion in the world and the fastest -growing.

I'd say that you have no option now but Faith -based denial. No validation of Islam other than domination, indoctrination and coercion.

You may approve of imposed compliance with Islam, control of the governments (to a greater or lesser degree), and you may applaud jail, public beatings and even capital punishment for anything that the Muslim Authorities disapprove of. But ypu won't find me approving of it.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Personally, I doubt there are "unquestionable" evidences about anything anywhere. Not even gravity which most recently has been theorized to have an "anti-gravity" property. If gravity was "unquestionable" why wouldn't the continually spreading universe be slowing down instead of speeding up--which has been shown is what is really happening.

At best "evidence" can be shown to move one's grasp of truth in one direction or another.

For instance, here is a recent report today of archaeology "proving" the "possible" reason behind Jesus being rejected by people in Nazareth where He was raised.

So please don't accuse me of claiming the Bible is "true." It's just that the EVIDENCE we have appears to support the underlying veracity and reasons for some stories that occurred in the Bible.

I'm sure some christians will call the above "unquestionable" evidences, just as the OP thinks his evidences are "unquestionable."

You are right; it is off the topic. But, assuming that the claim that the archaeology of Nazareth indicates a rejection of any Romanised objects is true, if it is also true that it is a town founded after the Jewish war and perhaps even by the priestly families mentioned in the Caesarea inscription) it would not be surprising if they kept Kosher households.

Pre the Jewish war, places like Sepphoris were (on evidence) very pro pagan in their art and culture. So Jesus would have been well at home their with his partiality for gentiles. Roman Centurions for preference, but Samaritan lepers would do, at a pinch. But Jesus never went to Sepphiris, nor Jotapa. Indeed he never even mentions them. But we are asked to believe that he traipses off to Tyre (not destroyed as the OT promised, of course in search of Gentiles who will display Superior levels of Faith.

This is of course what one could predict IF the Gospels had been written after the fall of Jerusalem and of course what was built in Nazareth after that time would have nothing to do with Jesus, nor the Gospel stories about him.

And yet you may know that I DO think that a lot of the gospel story is actually true. Just as I am at least willing to credit a fair bit of the records about Muhammad. But I'd say that, in both cases, there is a pretty fair case for later revisionists altering the True story to suit their own purposes.

Old 04-10-2020, 09:47 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

I agree about the evidence changing one's view, and this is an interesting and plausible alternative.

It is much better than the sneezing, therefore God argument a few pages earlier.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I agree about the evidence changing one's view, and this is an interesting and plausible alternative.

It is much better than the sneezing, therefore God argument a few pages earlier.
Arq's Dogmatic digest of Divine doctoring saith. "The principal cause of sneezing is having both hands full".

Old 04-11-2020, 03:53 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Arq's Dogmatic digest of Divine doctoring saith. "The principal cause of sneezing is having both hands full".
Autism is proven to cause vaccines too.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:16 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,664,439 times
I agree everything is questionable.
the interpretation of the word of Allah is questionable.
but the origin word of Allah in its origin language is not questionable.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:21 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Do you think before you write?
First you say that everything is questionable. Then you say it's not.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
It is not only open to serious question but on the evidence so far, is demonstrably the word and work of men, not of a god.

To refuse to question is to refuse to use the brain you have and slay it on the altar of religious faith. It is a sad thing to do.

Old 04-14-2020, 06:41 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
This might be the saddest, most pathetic thread on CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality