Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,049,777 times

Advertisements

A Spirit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2017, 09:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
We don't know.

It doesn't know.

It's in its infancy.*

Did you know "you" when you were 10 weeks old?

*Just throwing it out there. Still mulling.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:40 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,811,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
A Spirit.
Life giving Spirit.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:30 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,266,278 times
It's a concept that was created 1000's of years ago. It sprung up from the evolution of the modern human...all we got out of it is what we see today in the form of organized religion. These religions make the claim that god or several gods are responsible for EVERYTHING...the good the bad and the ugly. The only way to reconcile with this god is to obey it and the end result is war, oppression, dividedness, self-righteousness and many untold horrors that occurred and are still occurring today in the name of someone's god.

The world would be much more evolved today without the oppression and violence and the fear the church felt towards the ancient scientists blasphemy towards their god. It most certainly set us back a few hundred years since it took scientists much longer then it should have to get their knowledge out there.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:39 PM

63,844 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
A Spirit.
Yes, the Holy Spirit of Agape love.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Life giving Spirit.
Yes, Every time we evoke agape love within our consciousness we add to our "spiritual body" making it more mature and more ready for our rebirth as Spirit upon our death.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:27 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
What? I would ask Who, myself.
I'm getting more and more insight...it revolves around Infinite, Eternal, Love beyond
human imagination, Purity, Innocence, Genius all beyond comprehension.

But if I were to make everything around me I see into mirrors...and break them all into tiny pieces...each teeny piece would hold ALL of God within it...as all the other pieces would, also;
Holograms of the 'Whole'...then, I would be getting closer to the magnitude of this Being.

Do you have any holographic bookmarks or stickers, with a face, let's say?
With a razor cut one into 4s....each quarter will have a face on it.
Billions upon billions of bits in this existence..and each contains the Whole...with
Universes of different dimensions, endlessly...each teeny bit of broken mirror.

How could anyone not be in love with such a Divine Genius? (pls don't answer that.)

Old 08-24-2017, 09:33 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
What? I would ask Who, myself.
I'm getting more and more insight...it revolves around Infinite, Eternal, Love beyond
human imagination, Purity, Innocence, Genius all beyond comprehension.

But if I were to make everything around me I see into mirrors...and break them all into tiny pieces...each teeny piece would hold ALL of God within it...as all the other pieces would, also;
Holograms of the 'Whole'...then, I would be getting closer to the magnitude of this Being.

Do you have any holographic bookmarks or stickers, with a face, let's say?
With a razor cut one into 4s....each quarter will have a face on it.
Billions upon billions of bits in this existence..and each contains the Whole...with
Universes of different dimensions, endlessly...each teeny bit of broken mirror.

How could anyone not be in love with such a Divine Genius? (pls don't answer that.)
Yes and...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
We don't know.

It doesn't know.

It's in its infancy.*

<snipped>
yes.

I don't think you meant this the way I'm taking it Trout, but I think MissH's description and yours go hand in hand. And I don't think God will ever stop growing.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:45 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,608,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The eternal living God is multi time powerful in the spirit through Jesus Christ , as the cross of Christ opened the door for more for God
Makes no sense at all.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:18 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,049,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes, the Holy Spirit of Agape love.
Yes, Every time we evoke agape love within our consciousness we add to our "spiritual body" making it more mature and more ready for our rebirth as Spirit upon our death.

Which is really odd that Jesus took the time and went to all the trouble to come here in shoe leather, just to tell us we must be born again, when heck, He could have just waited to tell us that once we were spirit , ie. dead, when it REALLY mattered. Peace

Old 08-24-2017, 07:55 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,327,286 times
"What Is God"

The first thing that popped into my head was a scene from the movie "Dead Poets Society."

It was the scene in the classroom after Robin Williams (his character) was ousted from the school and a more traditional, straight-laced, and infernally boring replacement teacher was brought in.

When it was discovered that Robin Williams had had his students rip a bunch of pages out of the textbook, the replacement teacher decided to start the course all over again ... and thus he began with those words that exuded boredom, yawns, and intellectual misery:

"What is poetry ..."

But to answer the OP's question, God could be anything anyone wants it to be. Of course, that doesn't make it true ... but people believe in the weirdest things with no thought whatever to whether it actually makes sense.

It's actually easier to answer what God is NOT -- which poses a bit of snarky irony.

Because it's damn near a certitude that what the vast majority of people call "God" is NOT God.

If God exists, he (I'm using male pronouns just for comprehension ease so don't throw any rotten eggs) would be far more than the primitive, one-dimensional "gods" found in the world's major holy books.

God would not be vain, narcissistic, jealous, and perpetually angry -- God would not be driven by ego, issuing such demands as "worship me" and "love me" and "put me first."

God would not play mind games with Abraham, allow Satan to torture Job for the sake of a bet, send bears to rip apart half a hundred children, accept the blood sacrifice of Jephthah's daughter, flood the earth in an act of genocidal rage, murder the first born of Egypt just to coerse "Pharaoh" to let the Hebrews go, or tell his followers like Joshua to wage an aggressive war just to grab land -- and to butcher every last man, woman, child, baby, and animal in over a dozen different cities.

No, a real God would never do those things -- would never act like a corrupted human being with unlimited power.

A real God would find eternal torture as abhorrant as I do and would never even consider that for a punishment -- especially as punishment for failing to worship him. In fact, a real God would almost certainly take himself out of the equation entirely and simply tell the word to be the best person you can, abide by these few simple rules, and treat your fellow human beings well. Worshiping him, praising him, loving him, joining his religion -- none of that would matter to a real God. Only our actions would matter, not whether or not we spend our lives putting him first and obeying hundreds of silly rules.

A real God would never have the concept of sin. There would be right and wrong, but only as it pertains to how we treat each other, not how we treat God.

Yeah, I could go on at length about what God isn't -- because a REAL God would be indescribeable with any human language. A real God would be an experience unique to itself and thus impossible to relate to anyone. Except we wouldn't have to because we would ALL know his existence and we would ALL experience it.

Unlike the "fake" Gods who apparently pick and choose arbitrarily who gets to have an "experience" and who gets left out in the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality