Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:15 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

Well, you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Osteen didn't want his beautiful Lakewood carpets stained by filthy trash refugees from Hurricane Harvey. But he did have a prayer for them:

Quote:
Victoria & I are praying for everyone affected by Hurricane Harvey. Please join us as we pray for the safety of our Texas friends & family.
But after being raked over the coals on social media he's suddenly found religion and has decided to open the doors. Probably figures he can bloat the cleaning bill and get a bigger deduction. What a tool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 01:29 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
This like this anger me. These people claim to be Christians (I can't and will not say whether they are or not) close their doors on the needy, and open a donation page, and would have the audacity to say I'm the immoral one simply because I am transgender, without knowing what I believe and knowing my heart. It's no wonder that most atheists want nothing to do with us when we act like this. Or in this case fail to act until shamed into doing so.

When Christ and His disciples fed the five thousand, they did not set up a donation page. They put prayer into motion and went to work.

When Christians act more like society at large than like Christ, who are we really?

Old 08-29-2017, 01:33 AM

641 posts, read 558,279 times
Tax.
The.
Churches.

Old 08-29-2017, 01:35 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Glad he saw the light.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:24 AM

5,457 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Default Mega church shuts it doors to flood victims in Houston

Interesting article:

Joel Osteen faces criticism on social media for closing Houston megachurch's doors amid Harvey - ABC News

Makes you think, open doors to help people or are you only in the business of making money for the leader.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:22 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
The church spokesperson says it all about why they first closed doors :

Quote:
And it makes no sense to open church doors when the city and county are already treating thousands of flood victims at the nearby George R. Brown Convention Center, according to Iloff.

“It has everything inside there – medicine, doctors, places to sleep,” Iloff said of the convention center. “It’s amazing what they’re doing there the make people comfortable.”
Translation : " Hey the gvt has our backs they were taking care of the people why should Joel spend any of his 40 million dollars? What a message, God did not put it into their hearts to be there for preparation or a plan for the aftermath but instead their spokesman praises the gvt for their actions. They have insulted God who I am sure is shaming them.

Old 08-29-2017, 04:39 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
Tax The Church!

Old 08-29-2017, 06:13 AM

678 posts, read 429,503 times
Here's another disturbing thing. According to wikipedia Osteen didn't even go to divinity school, but studied radio and television communications in college. He has a $10 million mega mansion in Houston.

I think they call his style "Prosper Christianity" where he preaches that God is going to help you prosper financially. Seems like snake oil to me.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:47 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
This like this anger me. These people claim to be Christians (I can't and will not say whether they are or not) close their doors on the needy, and open a donation page, and would have the audacity to say I'm the immoral one simply because I am transgender, without knowing what I believe and knowing my heart. It's no wonder that most atheists want nothing to do with us when we act like this. Or in this case fail to act until shamed into doing so.

When Christ and His disciples fed the five thousand, they did not set up a donation page. They put prayer into motion and went to work.

When Christians act more like society at large than like Christ, who are we really?
One person's sin does not invalidate another person's sin. Yes, Osteen is a hypocrite. He's greedy. He also preaches a false Gospel that is in no way related to biblical Christianity. But what he does in his "church", or his house does not mean everyone else is innocent simply because they have different sin.

Your sin is no worse, nor is it any better than my sin. Or, for that matter, his sin. None of us are perfect, and we will all have to pay for our sin unless we have a savior to do that for us.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:48 AM

19,999 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
The church spokesperson says it all about why they first closed doors :

Translation : " Hey the gvt has our backs they were taking care of the people why should Joel spend any of his 40 million dollars? What a message, God did not put it into their hearts to be there for preparation or a plan for the aftermath but instead their spokesman praises the gvt for their actions. They have insulted God who I am sure is shaming them.
They are probably ANTI guv-mint when it doesn't suit them, though, right? When the government enforces equal rights for some group you don't like or apolitical preaching if you want to be free of taxes, then they are godless persecutors. It's only when they help you dodge a bullet or give you an advantage that they are told they're doing a great job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality