Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:45 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,349,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Hmmmmmm. Maybe so, I'll try to modify my reactions. Edited, how is that?
Aw, thanks...just for like a week or so...see how it feels and the reactions you get.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,058,185 times
I'm sure many out there need to apologize... stoic is the person who could hold their tongue in the face of such vile (whether a fundamentalist is being vile behind their backs or to their face). I sure am not calling people idiots, they [fundamentalists] are just human beings and are often very capable thinkers outside of their unnatural Bibliolatrous tendencies. One stupid thing does not make a person wholly stupid. There is still plenty of chance for redemption, are tough and heroic as it would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I think it has a lot to do with your perspective on things. I'm guessing that if you understand the context of those passages, you'd agree that they're not "barbaric". But I don't believe you're willing to try.

And yes--by the way, calling people "idiots" is kind of rude, and tends to incite people.
Is this not what the Muslim fundamentalists say to defend their Bibliolatry? Yes, it is.

Context is everything, and they don't even know the real context of the crafting of their re-and-re-interpreted idol books that they use as conduits of supposed worship/understanding of Higher Powers. Woeful is the suffering they bring upon themselves and each other (and the rest of us as collateral or direct damage).

I am sorry if someone finds the obvious truth offensive, but if my observations and understanding are in the wrong, I would love to be talked out of it, so I don't take much offense to any well-meaning sayings.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 09-01-2017 at 06:27 PM..

Old 09-01-2017, 08:16 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,785,632 times
Quote:
Let's look at this in perspective. Is there ever a time when you would consider violence to be acceptable?

War? How about if an armed intruder was in my house...am I allowed to protect my wife and kid?

How about armed police officers responding to a bank robbery? Is it ever acceptable to kill someone?
I'd be interested in getting your idea of what passages in the OT where you consider the violence to be acceptable. I've seen too many where it is totally uncalled for and barbaric.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:56 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,315,895 times
Quote:
Let's look at this in perspective. Is there ever a time when you would consider violence to be acceptable?

War? How about if an armed intruder was in my house...am I allowed to protect my wife and kid?

How about armed police officers responding to a bank robbery? Is it ever acceptable to kill someone?
In the secular world the answers vary. Where I live you can kill in order to defend yourself but normally not your property. Also once the threat has been removed, such as the armed robbers getting away it changes from self defense to manslaughter. In other countries the laws are more "generous " with the self defense defense. Police killing a robber should be last resort. Armies are now regulated that the deliberate killing of civilians is now called murder or crimes against humanity. This came about through a secular agreement via a non religious organization.

In the case of the prophecy, if God was all knowing and all powerful then he knew about the battles prior to the prophecies and could have lead the Jews to a different place. It's another of those explanation that sounds both illogical and immoral if one is not looking at it in a way to defend God's words, actions or lack of actions. I would guess that due to your religious beliefs and your passion for that belief that you cannot recognized the illogically and immorality of it.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:38 AM

678 posts, read 428,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
In the secular world the answers vary. Where I live you can kill in order to defend yourself but normally not your property. Also once the threat has been removed, such as the armed robbers getting away it changes from self defense to manslaughter. In other countries the laws are more "generous " with the self defense defense. Police killing a robber should be last resort. Armies are now regulated that the deliberate killing of civilians is now called murder or crimes against humanity. This came about through a secular agreement via a non religious organization.

In the case of the prophecy, if God was all knowing and all powerful then he knew about the battles prior to the prophecies and could have lead the Jews to a different place. It's another of those explanation that sounds both illogical and immoral if one is not looking at it in a way to defend God's words, actions or lack of actions. I would guess that due to your religious beliefs and your passion for that belief that you cannot recognized the illogically and immorality of it.
I've talked to my local sheriff and B&E investigator. They said the vast majority of break-ins occur during the day when people are gone at work. Burglars want empty homes and to never be noticed. They're typically unarmed and want a quick grab and dash to support their addiction. Even if you are armed, they recommended going upstairs, hiding in a closet and calling 911. They talked about our local self defense laws but the officer also put it this way - if you kill a kid over your tv, your conscious will have to deal with it.

If I were to fundamentally believe that people are bad and born with sin and think about all the home alarm commercials that use fear to sell their product, I would feel more threatened and concerned. I try to keep risk in perspective with what typically happens and how likely it is to actually happen.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,193,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Barbaric is as barbaric does.

Trying to gloss over the primitive savagery of the OT is akin to the classic putting-lipstick-on-a-pig scenario. Remember when the Irish were blowing themselves and British soldiers up? It was euphemistically referred to as "the Troubles." Like that somehow made it better?

I don't do pretend or soft-soaping when it comes to the serious business of combating fundamentalism.

I freely admit there's good stuff in the bible. But to ignore the disgraceful and disgusting aspects is wrong.
Quite so...I define a fundamentalist as a modern Pharisee...no apologies required..unless they feel like they need to...

Old 09-02-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
and to think this was a thread dedicated to apologies and for some reason staying to tract here wasn't required.. rotf.. .... so what what would a thread look like that was created to just curse believers ..would it looks any different? of course NO! OH Mrs H you are such a tricky dicky ! got to give credit where credit is due.
has nothing to do with "believers." It addresses FUNDAMENTALISM....

Old 09-02-2017, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
plus the pagan(canaanites and Mizraim(egypt and cousins) those were not their lands anyway! they had stolen them years before that and slaved out the real inhabitants. and stole all their wealth and goods . that is the oldest promises and something God promised to Elishah ( God would save ) his family and restore their kingdoms.

this going back through Tana aka Tamahu etc.. two feathers in their hair and a loin cloth and tattoos
and a blanket with reddish hair and giants ... well it should seem familiar to someone.
kind of what the christian fundamentalist colonists did to the indigenous peoples of America??

Old 09-02-2017, 08:10 AM

88,483 posts, read 84,616,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Aw, thanks...just for like a week or so...see how it feels and the reactions you get.
It's been my experience that when I carefully construct my responses to keep things neutral and not express so much of the frustration I feel when having a conversation with fundamentalists, I get ignored.

I seek a response in kind, but they don't come.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:06 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,905,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It's been my experience that when I carefully construct my responses to keep things neutral and not express so much of the frustration I feel when having a conversation with fundamentalists, I get ignored.

I seek a response in kind, but they don't come.
And the question is why. Is there NO reasonable response? Is the only defense of the rationale to get mad at perceived insults?

Can we actually GET a reasoned response that makes sense to anyone? The closest I have seen is justifiable genocide.

Does anyone really believe that is al God was capable of?

Is there a reasoned response?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality