Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:18 PM

678 posts, read 429,852 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there's been a transition for you and what was it like and when did it occur?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 03:27 PM

22,235 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Moderator cut: delete
Tell you what Jumbo, how about you start since its your thread topic.
Tell us Jumbo, what dogma do you believe in?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-31-2017 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: rude comment

Old 08-27-2017, 04:36 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
"Through the Looking Glass". That poem, "The Walrus and the Carpenter," that's an indictment of organized religion. The walrus, with his girth and his good nature, he obviously represents either Buddha, or, or with his tusks, the Hindu elephant god, Lord Ganesha. That takes care of your Eastern religions. Now the carpenter, which is an obvious reference to Jesus Christ, who was raised a carpenter's son, he represents the Western religions. Now in the poem, what do they do? What do they do? They, they dupe all these oysters into following them and then proceed to shuck and devour the helpless creatures en masse. I don't know what that says to you, but to me it says that following these faiths based on mythological figures ensures the destruction of one's inner being. Organized religion destroys who we are by inhibiting our actions, by inhibiting our decisions out of, out of fear of some, some intangible parent figure who, who shakes a finger at us from thousands of years ago and says, and says, "Do it... do it and I'll spank you."

Loki

Old 08-27-2017, 04:59 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Around my house in the 60s with Vatican II.

It was clear old dogma that could change was not a dogma to follow...
what will it change to next?

Old 08-27-2017, 05:07 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
me, around 3rd grade. private catholic school but I had the advantage of imperfect parents that did their job despite of what they wanted to do.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:38 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
<snipped orphaned quote>

There is a difference between dogma and religion or dogma and believing in a God or even dogma and being religious.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-31-2017 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 06:32 PM

678 posts, read 429,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I went to church growing up and believed in heaven. But always had questions.

Honestly, not sure if I get the context of dogma (which is part of the reason I asked the question) but I find it very hard to believe that any human actually knows what happens when we die. I think religion should be more how you live life on earth. Been that way for about 2 years since I started looking more into religion, reading the bible, joining my church, listening to a number of different people -
professionals in many fields and people on here.

I have faith that no single religion or scripture has all the answers.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-31-2017 at 09:27 AM..

Old 08-27-2017, 07:22 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Using this definition:

Quote:
a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.
I stopped believing in dogma in my late teens. Raised as RCC, I started to question some of the loopier tenets of faith such as transubstantian. Looking into it, Catholic standards for evidence when it came to miracles were pretty low, and as Miss Hepburn notes, it is difficult to believe in dogma when it dramatically changes.

I explored a variety of other beliefs, from mainline Protestantism, Taoism, Buddhism, LDS and neo-paganism. They all had similarly shaky foundations, with the exception of Taoism, which made sense but so what, that was over 30 years ago.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-31-2017 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: orphaned quote and response

Old 08-27-2017, 08:23 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,750,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
I went to church growing up and believed in heaven. But always had questions.

Honestly, not sure if I get the context of dogma (which is part of the reason I asked the question) but I find it very hard to believe that any human actually knows what happens when we die. I think religion should be more how you live life on earth. Been that way for about 2 years since I started looking more into religion, reading the bible, joining my church, listening to a number of different people -
professionals in many fields and people on here.

I have faith that no single religion or scripture has all the answers.
I'd say you are thinking on the right lines.

And where you are, is already in our camp.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-31-2017 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: orphaned quote and response

Old 08-27-2017, 09:52 PM

22,235 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Why go there? OP is starting what could be a relatively non-controversial thread and you throw one of your bombs. Does the mere existence of atheists bother you so much?
if talking about dogma is "non controversial" then certainly including the dogma of atheists is "non controversial" as well. Yet it seems to bother you. Does the mere mention of atheists bother you so much? Does applying the topic of this discussion thread to atheists bother you so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality