Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 10:43 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
We could DM on discussing music. We don't want to take advantage of the Mods' good nature do we?

But Sibelius, more and more as I penetrate the mysteries of the 4th and 7th. And Ives...just such a challenge. Medieval to Baroque a particular love of mine.
I hear a lot of pop and rock these days. You can't buy a half litre of milk without having it dinned into you. Some of it can be quite catchy - by accident. Some...don't get me started

But while there a lot of Beatles stuff I regard as ROM or simply dull, their best is "classic" as the overused term has it.

"If we are going to call these guitar strummings and wailings "Classic" grumbles one music critic, "What are we going to call Wagner or the Choral symphony?"

"Boring" would probably be the short answer. There's a lot of mental block (1) against classical. Very similar to the immediate "Shutters down" when you throw doubts on Gospel -Jesus, or indeed when you talk to atheists about the value of Christianity.

There was a Boss at work - something of a mate of mine, though we had almost nothing in common, though he did get me interested in Formula 1 (some people find that Boring too...and cricket) but he only liked the Beatles' (no, I hadn't forgotten them) early -rock, and rejected the later "hippy" stuff.

I can still remember as a teen hearing "Please Please me" for the first time." It was amazing. It was real, honest and thrilling. It put all the commercial plastipop of the time into the shade. But (if I can find it) this from the 'Rock' days was simple, tuneful and effective, with the harmonica being the icing on the cake. And I was crazy about Patti Boyd even the teeth.

Hard Day's Night, A (1964) -- (Movie Clip) I Should've Known Better

(1) Peanuts (Lucy) "that's rather nice, what is it?"
(Shroeder) "Something by Beethoven."
(Lucy) "Now you've got me really worried; little by little, Beethoven is creeping over, under and around my mental block."
My uncle was a classical music fan, as well as an early audiophile. He use to give me classical records to entice me to listen to "good music," and not that rock and roll crap on the radio. The entire Nutcracker Ballet. The entire Peer Gynt. And Henry Mancini's "Peter Gunn" from the old TV show. I absolutely wore that out.

But the very first record I ever bought for myself when I was about fifteen was a forty five with "Please Please" me on one side and "From Me To You" on the other side. It seemed like such a good deal that I actually paid 89 cents of my own money for it. I listened to that "rock and roll crap" on the radio of course, but the Beatles were transformative. I watched them that first night on the Ed Sullivan show, and was for evermore a fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 02:03 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Since the "satanic beatles' topic is probably put to bed, and some may find it a novelty that i don't bang on about Ives, Praetorius and bruckner, I might mentiion the Ed Sullivan show - or rather pick up your mention. And that is the beatles going over so huge in the US. It must have blown them away, because all UK pop was pretty muchimitation of the US.
Of course so were the Beatles, with the US rock classics - notably the Black rockers, not the white. Odd that their take on it went over so big there. Or Here, since I'm a guest.

But then of course the 'We're more popular than Jesus' remark of John Lennon led to a public rejection and piles of burned Beatles Memorabilia. (it would be worth millions now).

The last cold and fraught performances and skipping the country, pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs9m_G41fH0

part 1 of four. I have to admit that he made some good points. Maybe John did need to think before he opened his mouth.

maybe some more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZU8F-eO6W0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN3wvY4a1DU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCsb3pR6tbw

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-06-2017 at 02:24 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 12:17 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Since the "satanic beatles' topic is probably put to bed, and some may find it a novelty that i don't bang on about Ives, Praetorius and bruckner, I might mentiion the Ed Sullivan show - or rather pick up your mention. And that is the beatles going over so huge in the US. It must have blown them away, because all UK pop was pretty muchimitation of the US.
Of course so were the Beatles, with the US rock classics - notably the Black rockers, not the white. Odd that their take on it went over so big there. Or Here, since I'm a guest.

But then of course the 'We're more popular than Jesus' remark of John Lennon led to a public rejection and piles of burned Beatles Memorabilia. (it would be worth millions now).

The last cold and fraught performances and skipping the country, pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs9m_G41fH0

part 1 of four. I have to admit that he made some good points. Maybe John did need to think before he opened his mouth.

maybe some more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZU8F-eO6W0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN3wvY4a1DU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCsb3pR6tbw
Like I said. I was fifteen when the Beatles hit the US. As teens we were being force fed songs like,

She's Venus in blue jeans
Mona Lisa with a ponytail
She's walkin' talkin' work of art
She's the girl who stole my heart - Jimmy Clanton

and,

He drove his car to the racing grounds
He was the youngest driver there
The crowed roared as they started the race
'Round the track they drove at a deadly pace
No one knows what happened that day
How his car overturned in flames
But as they pulled him from the twisted wreck
With his dying breath, they heard him say
Tell Laura I love her, tell Laura I need her - Ray Peterson

And then the Beatles came along. Their music was not formula schlock. It was honest and true. And we ate it up. The thing that made the Beatles so enduring though was that as we teens grew and matured, so did the Beatles and their music. They weren't just relevant, they were cutting edge right up until the moment they disbanded. They retired as champs, the once and forever legendary Beatles.

Sitting on a cornflake
Waiting for the van to come
Corporation tee shirt
Stupid bloody Tuesday
Man, you been a naughty boy
You let your face grow long

That could never be mistaken for formula schlock, or teeny-bopper bubble gum music. Like classical music, it was meant to evoke images and emotions.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:08 PM

You were lucky We had Adam Faith. And if you don't know who I mean, thank whatever you reverence that you don't.

Mind, he was a nice guy. Charming. But if you are not ALL good boys and girls, I'll post a sample.

We had honest all rounders like Joe Brown and his Limeyfied Countree -style. And cut -price imitation Elvis like Tommy Steele and of course Cliff Richard. I may say that the kids loved the Shadows' early discs and (so I heard) they went just to hear them. When Cliff came bouncing on the stage they all groaned. Don't ask me, I wasn't there.

But they, Elvis and the whole thing had turned cosy and plastic and was just doing what I call 'Churnemout' just to keep the money rolling in.

It wasn't a problem because I was just getting into the classical stuff. Cue the Beatles. Yep even while I was playing Dvorak's 9th and Tchaikovski's 5th (well I had to start somewhere ) and thinking that Elgar was too difficult to listen to just yet, I was in the Beatles fan club. I mean a member. No I never met them, or even saw them live and I think even the signed photo was printed signatures. But I was In until Sgt Pepper, when I took along to the rock -climbing week (oh yes) Two records. Tallis fantasia and Delius 'song of summer' and "Revolver'. It polarized the climbing group like a religion debate

P.s "Got to get you into my life' was obviously Motown influenced. I'd live to hear it done Phil Spectre style - without the revolver, please.

And I must mention a remark Paul made about when they were recording Sergeant Pepper. "The critics were slaggin' us off - saying we were written out. I thought - just wait!"

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-07-2017 at 02:23 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 02:18 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm unfamiliar with The Beatles music and I'm interested in checking them out. But I wonder if they ever had Satanic messages in their music?
No. Please...no.

There were a few of their songs that might not be particularly "Christian", but I think it's a major stretch to call them satanic. People stating things like that are what make Christians look bad.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:32 PM

Don't worry. We are generally aware that is a very minority - even miniscule - view.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:03 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I'm unfamiliar with The Beatles music and I'm interested in checking them out. But I wonder if they ever had Satanic messages in their music?

Whose Satan?

Old 09-08-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Whose Satan?
It's all the same Satan.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:37 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Like I said. I was fifteen when the Beatles hit the US. As teens we were being force fed songs like,

She's Venus in blue jeans
Mona Lisa with a ponytail
She's walkin' talkin' work of art
She's the girl who stole my heart - Jimmy Clanton

and,

He drove his car to the racing grounds
He was the youngest driver there
The crowed roared as they started the race
'Round the track they drove at a deadly pace
No one knows what happened that day
How his car overturned in flames
But as they pulled him from the twisted wreck
With his dying breath, they heard him say
Tell Laura I love her, tell Laura I need her - Ray Peterson

And then the Beatles came along. Their music was not formula schlock. It was honest and true. And we ate it up. The thing that made the Beatles so enduring though was that as we teens grew and matured, so did the Beatles and their music. They weren't just relevant, they were cutting edge right up until the moment they disbanded. They retired as champs, the once and forever legendary Beatles.

Sitting on a cornflake
Waiting for the van to come
Corporation tee shirt
Stupid bloody Tuesday
Man, you been a naughty boy
You let your face grow long

That could never be mistaken for formula schlock, or teeny-bopper bubble gum music. Like classical music, it was meant to evoke images and emotions.
Hmm, are you sure about that?

Yeah, I'll tell you something
I think you'll understand
When I say that something
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand
I wanna hold your hand

or ...

She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah
She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah ... ad infinitum

Sure, the Beatles had some good songs, but I actually found the earlier lyrics by Jimmy Clanton or Ray Peterson to be better than the highly repetitive chorus of many of the more popular Beatles' songs.

Their music was transformative as it was true rock n' roll music -- not the "doo-wop" music that was heavy on voice and light on instrumentation. Their lyrics, on the other hand, quite often left a lot to be desired -- and they sang about the same old stuff: love, romance, and relationships. Not exactly transformative in that department. Singing about drugs wasn't exactly new, either -- the Sixties was filled with that, everyone singing about their favorite drugs in code-speak (Mr. Candyman, Mr. Bojangles, Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds (L.S.D.) and continued into the late 70's with songs like Snowblind by Styx.

I don't have anything against the Beatles, and when you compare them with today's truly god-awful music, they seem damn near mythical, but I know, too, that when you're a fan of music, it becomes almost like a religion. Fanatics abound.

Oddly enough, as the Beatles' matured, their popularity fell off ... which says a lot about the American mindset. Gotta keep everything idiot-simple or people switch off their brains and find something else to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME...8nUD0V&index=1

Old 09-08-2017, 01:45 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Singing about drugs wasn't exactly new, either -- the Sixties was filled with that, everyone singing about their favorite drugs in code-speak (Mr. Candyman, Mr. Bojangles, Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds (L.S.D.) and continued into the late 70's with songs like Snowblind by Styx.
I've heard it said that if you remember the 1960s, you weren't participating ...

I remember the 60s, ergo ... there you have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality