Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:15 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,040,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Holy to me often seems to be used to compare, divide and show superiority. Maybe not so much today but at least in ancient history.

Absolutely, and G-d Himself does it, because He separates between the holy and the profane, because HE IS holy. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 08:21 AM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Instead of using human spirit for some atheists, maybe psyche, vibe, personality?
I take it you mean that psyche, vibe, personality are less loaded words for spirit, but with the possible exception of "vibe" (which is more or less the quality of emotional "energy" a person emits) I don't see those things as having any seeming mystical je ne sais quoi to them. They are just human characteristics.

As to vibe or energy, my wife is always going on about that and while it is certainly true that a person's manner can either put you at ease or set you on edge, to feel welcomed or excluded, accepted or judged, this is not in my view "energy", it is simply (often subtle) nonverbal social cues that produce a particular emotional response within the observer based on experience with people who emit similar cues.

I think we use terms like this rather casually and carelessly sometimes and start to ascribe characteristics to these labels that really aren't warranted and adds no explanatory power.

Besides, they are misleading. When fatigued or in physical pain, for example, I tend to become "shut down" and this is frequently misread as anger or indifference toward someone who might be wanting some kind of reassurance that everything is okay between us or that they are liked. In turn I've learned to compensate for this alleged "vibe" by forcing myself to smile and make eye contact in social situations no matter what, which in turn makes me feel insincere and dishonest and shallow, as well as rather disavowed since the net result for me is not only does no one want to hear me talk about whatever pain I'm in, they don't even want it to show non-verbally; it must be a closely guarded dirty secret. Sometimes I feel like a traveling minstrel show, performing for people. So you tell me which "vibe" is the better one, and for whom. It's all perceptions; Other People get to decide what is true about you, rather than inquiring what is true about your inner state and then believing you when you say it. I owe my wife an eternal debt of gratitude concerning this because she will at least ask me if anything is wrong between us, and believe me when I say that I am just exhausted and everything is in fact terrific between us. We have learned to give each other needed space in this regard; she has her own version of it where she turns inward and pays zero attention and goes off by herself to be lost in her thoughts. I don't take it personally as it's not meant personally, and generally, whatever I need to engage with her on, will keep.

I would much rather deal with "vibes" pragmatically like this rather than slathering on a layer of woo to "explain" what are nothing more than my own subjective emotional and often subconscious responses to a person's presentation. Keeping the "woo" out of it helps insure that I don't leap to unwarranted conclusions about why a person is presenting in a certain way, or of misidentifying the quality of someone's personhood with their transient moods and unconscious impulses. And over time I've come to see that the human tendency to assume that such things are highly personal and focused on you specifically is nearly always totally wrong -- no matter what it seems like.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:15 AM

678 posts, read 429,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I take it you mean that psyche, vibe, personality are less loaded words for spirit, but with the possible exception of "vibe" (which is more or less the quality of emotional "energy" a person emits) I don't see those things as having any seeming mystical je ne sais quoi to them. They are just human characteristics.

As to vibe or energy, my wife is always going on about that and while it is certainly true that a person's manner can either put you at ease or set you on edge, to feel welcomed or excluded, accepted or judged, this is not in my view "energy", it is simply (often subtle) nonverbal social cues that produce a particular emotional response within the observer based on experience with people who emit similar cues.

I think we use terms like this rather casually and carelessly sometimes and start to ascribe characteristics to these labels that really aren't warranted and adds no explanatory power.

Besides, they are misleading. When fatigued or in physical pain, for example, I tend to become "shut down" and this is frequently misread as anger or indifference toward someone who might be wanting some kind of reassurance that everything is okay between us or that they are liked. In turn I've learned to compensate for this alleged "vibe" by forcing myself to smile and make eye contact in social situations no matter what, which in turn makes me feel insincere and dishonest and shallow, as well as rather disavowed since the net result for me is not only does no one want to hear me talk about whatever pain I'm in, they don't even want it to show non-verbally; it must be a closely guarded dirty secret. Sometimes I feel like a traveling minstrel show, performing for people. So you tell me which "vibe" is the better one, and for whom. It's all perceptions; Other People get to decide what is true about you, rather than inquiring what is true about your inner state and then believing you when you say it. I owe my wife an eternal debt of gratitude concerning this because she will at least ask me if anything is wrong between us, and believe me when I say that I am just exhausted and everything is in fact terrific between us. We have learned to give each other needed space in this regard; she has her own version of it where she turns inward and pays zero attention and goes off by herself to be lost in her thoughts. I don't take it personally as it's not meant personally, and generally, whatever I need to engage with her on, will keep.

I would much rather deal with "vibes" pragmatically like this rather than slathering on a layer of woo to "explain" what are nothing more than my own subjective emotional and often subconscious responses to a person's presentation. Keeping the "woo" out of it helps insure that I don't leap to unwarranted conclusions about why a person is presenting in a certain way, or of misidentifying the quality of someone's personhood with their transient moods and unconscious impulses. And over time I've come to see that the human tendency to assume that such things are highly personal and focused on you specifically is nearly always totally wrong -- no matter what it seems like.
Fair enough. I appreciate the response and perspective. I think people should be genuine and not put on fake smiles or always give the "I'm good" response. I agree with the difficulty of the labels, but it's tough to learn and work on improving one's spirit (or just happiness or mind) if there's no starting point.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:46 AM

It also helps if you understand that we have a soul as well as a spirit, and the two are not the same. Peace

Old 09-06-2017, 01:46 PM

19,958 posts, read 13,455,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
It also helps if you understand that we have a soul as well as a spirit, and the two are not the same. Peace
Yeah that one was always problematic for me to keep straight. Different belief systems define the two terms differently, others define them as rough equivalents. If I recall correctly the spirit is generally considered the part of a person which (if "alive") can respond to god, whereas the soul is the immortal "self" allegedly separable from the physical body.

What is confusing here is that the Holy Spirit is supposed to be a "person" of the "godhead" and so not simply some sort of "god detector" like a human spirit is supposed to be. It is odd that it wasn't referred to then as the Holy Soul. I think in fact "spirit" and "soul" are used sloppily, and sometimes interchangeably, in scripture, quite possibly complicated by inconsistent translation to English, so it's no wonder that they are confused in any formal attempt at a theological definition.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:01 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
Holy Spirit is the spirit of the living God , which God can interact with man , and can deliver miracles through Holy Spirit , where Holy Spirit will judge our prayers whether they qualify to be answered or even heard ...Holy Spirit does not forgive sin but can deliver forgiveness from God ..... The human spirit is our spirit conscious which lives in the realm of the flesh which is a spirit realm, where the human spirit goes together with the soul of man , as the soul is our human conscious which see through the eyes of man , and remember the lives we live .............. The demonic spirit in not human but can live in humans , and lives in the spirit realm of the flesh , but has no soul , and is enemies to man and his life, and could be a influence on the inner man or spirit man

Old 09-07-2017, 12:42 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Utter nonsense. We are embryo Spirits growing to maturity in a physical womb.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Oh, I forgot, you New Agers think they're one and the same. Of course it would never occur to you study it out. Peace

Old 09-07-2017, 09:58 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yeah that one was always problematic for me to keep straight. Different belief systems define the two terms differently, others define them as rough equivalents. If I recall correctly the spirit is generally considered the part of a person which (if "alive") can respond to god, whereas the soul is the immortal "self" allegedly separable from the physical body.

What is confusing here is that the Holy Spirit is supposed to be a "person" of the "godhead" and so not simply some sort of "god detector" like a human spirit is supposed to be. It is odd that it wasn't referred to then as the Holy Soul. I think in fact "spirit" and "soul" are used sloppily, and sometimes interchangeably, in scripture, quite possibly complicated by inconsistent translation to English, so it's no wonder that they are confused in any formal attempt at a theological definition.
The soul is your body, more specifically your brain...

Old 09-07-2017, 11:28 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Oh, I forgot, you New Agers think they're one and the same. Of course it would never occur to you study it out. Peace
Was your embryo Fetus separate from you or just a different stage of you????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality