Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And without Jesus all you've got is a social program. Might as well be a Kiwanis club.
Good bunch of people, worth checking out, especially if your local church is worthless in the area of community effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 12:05 PM

678 posts, read 430,032 times
Quote:
Do you believe God decides? Because ultimately, we are going to argue all day until the cows come home, then some. If someone with atheistic presuppositions can't fathom the concept of a sovereign creator deciding what is right and wrong, then we're at an impasse.

We could start with the sins as being wrong. I think those are typically driven by ego and putting oneself before others. If one feels holier than someone else say of a different religion, I'm guessing they also feel more pure and closer to God. However, those are feelings of superiority which is a sin, right?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:37 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Good bunch of people, worth checking out, especially if your local church is worthless in the area of community effort.
I'm sure they're a great bunch of people. But that's my question...if God is not the focus of one's religion...why bother with it? Why not just join a great bunch of folks like the Kiwanis club?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,894,307 times
Quote:
That is noble and worthy. But why should religion focus on social issues instead of God? Why not a secular, fraternal organization?
Because people are killing each other over whose God is 'more holy'. We've turned religion into a battleground, literally and figuratively.

The truth is, most religions have forgotten themselves. They're more interested in proving themselves 'more worthy than the other guy' than they are in actually effecting useful social and political change in their spheres of influence.

To me, 'focusing on God' is just an excuse to quietly play the 'not my problem' card. Just sit in church once a week, give lip-service to the message of love and tolerance, and then go home and ignore the suffering masses until next Sunday. Rinse and repeat.

Why should God pay any attention to such petty, selfish creatures?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
We could start with the sins as being wrong.
Based on what?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
Because people are killing each other over whose God is 'more holy'. We've turned religion into a battleground, literally and figuratively.
Have you been watching politics in the US lately? There are social justice movements killing people here. It isn't just religion.

But I'll agree....if God is missing from the equation, then man does what man does---and it's not pretty.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:47 PM

20,064 posts, read 13,520,038 times
Quote:
And without Jesus all you've got is a social program. Might as well be a Kiwanis club.
Can you substantiate that adherence to your particular belief system renders "social programs" unnecessary?

Or do you simply feel that "social programs" should be confined to organizations such as Kiwanis, while churches focus on doctoring people's immortal souls?

Old 09-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Can you substantiate that adherence to your particular belief system renders "social programs" unnecessary?

Or do you simply feel that "social programs" should be confined to organizations such as Kiwanis, while churches focus on doctoring people's immortal souls?
It's been said that when Calvin was leading the church in Geneva, there were no hungry in the city. He had a strong deacon ministry to care for the poor and needy. Yes--the church SHOULD be taking care of the poor. But oftentimes, to do so, we take our eyes off of God, or we think that the main purpose of a church is that, rather than that happening as a result of our faith.

Our faith should motivate us to want to help the needy--even to the point where it surpasses the good deeds done by the non-religious, as great as those works may be.

I'm not suggesting that we should disband all social programs...but I'm just saying that the main purpose of church is not that---the main purpose of church is to worship God. Otherwise it's not church.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:54 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,053,304 times
Quote:
It's been said that when Calvin was leading the church in Geneva, there were no hungry in the city. He had a strong deacon ministry to care for the poor and needy. Yes--the church SHOULD be taking care of the poor. But oftentimes, to do so, we take our eyes off of God, or we think that the main purpose of a church is that, rather than that happening as a result of our faith.

Our faith should motivate us to want to help the needy--even to the point where it surpasses the good deeds done by the non-religious, as great as those works may be.

I'm not suggesting that we should disband all social programs...but I'm just saying that the main purpose of church is not that---the main purpose of church is to worship God. Otherwise it's not church.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,216,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Did I not see you post more than once that you do not attend any church?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality