Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:38 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times

Advertisements

The American religious landscape is undergoing a dramatic transformation. White Christians, once the dominant religious group in the U.S., now account for fewer than half of all adults living in the country.

America’s Changing Religious Identity

White evangelical Protestants are in decline—along with white mainline Protestants and white Catholics.

There are 20 states in which no religious group comprises a greater share of residents than the religiously unaffiliated.

Nice to see Americans evolving when it comes to religion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 01:24 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The American religious landscape is undergoing a dramatic transformation. White Christians, once the dominant religious group in the U.S., now account for fewer than half of all adults living in the country.

America’s Changing Religious Identity

White evangelical Protestants are in decline—along with white mainline Protestants and white Catholics.

There are 20 states in which no religious group comprises a greater share of residents than the religiously unaffiliated.

Nice to see Americans evolving when it comes to religion!
wow, a certain population's decline = an evolving society.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
You have completely missed the point. People not choosing to be indoctrinated by religion is most certainly a society that's evolving.

You should do some research on developed secular nations and see how much better the quality of life is in those countries.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:45 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You have completely missed the point. People not choosing to be indoctrinated by religion is most certainly a society that's evolving.

You should do some research on developed secular nations and see how much better the quality of life is in those countries.

Are you planning to relocate anytime soon?

Old 09-11-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Are you planning to relocate anytime soon?
How about you? You appear to have a need to live in a country ruled by religion.

Back to the study.
  • Jews, Hindus, and Unitarian-Universalists stand out as the most educated groups in the American religious landscape.
  • White Christians have become a minority in the Democratic Party.
  • White evangelical Protestants remain the dominant religious force in the GOP.
  • No state is less religiously diverse than Mississippi.

No surprise there!

Old 09-11-2017, 03:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Thank you for the posting. It is an interesting study that I would have otherwise missed.

As for an "evolving society," I would agree that the decline in religious association/belief is a facet of the evolving U.S. society, but whether in and of itself it will be beneficial is debatable.

And there are other very strong - perhaps much stronger - forces that are shaping the evolving society and their influence may make the suggested benefit of religious decline negligible.

• The loss of privacy through the use of personal devices, i.e. cellphone
  • Elevation of entertainment celebrities to the level of authoritative commentators in politics, etc.
  • Consumerism and mindless personal greed
  • Fear focused on the loss of national importance in the face of international change, rather than a belief in the ability of the country to adapt and change to these changes.
  • Factionalism
  • "Relationships" developed and dependent upon web sites, texting, etc. rather than heavy on personal in-the-flesh contact.
And other factors as well. My own feeling is that if we end up a nation of idiot jackasses, it won't matter whether we go to church, synagogue or temple or not. Jackasses with their noses glued to their smartphones are not an improvement over jackasses with their noses glued to a sectarian holy book, they are jackasses still.

Matadora wrote, "You should do some research on developed secular nations and see how much better the quality of life is in those countries."

I emigrated to Europe, so I get to see some of these societies and they are not alike in their "quality of life" as far as my own personal thoughts are concerned. But then we would have to be off and running on what "quality of life" can mean, and that may be beyond the original intention of the thread. I will say that I am living in a nation that is rapidly losing its active Christian religious element, and what is evolving is very disheartening because the new factors seem to be even more destructive on some levels.

Last edited by kevxu; 09-11-2017 at 03:46 AM..

Old 09-11-2017, 04:34 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
A population that is becoming less religious is, indeed, evolving.

I don't know ... perhaps you haven't been paying a whole lot of attention ... but this nation has become a better place by throwing out religion as the dominant moral compass for our society.

American Christianity is a travesty. It's really less of a religion these days than it is the Sex and Gender Police.

That's all religion really cares about -- that you behave in the way in which your genitalia implies. In other words, Christianity uses whatever is between your legs as the moral compass for our society. No homosexuality, no same-sex marriage, no transgenders, no transvestites, and under NO circumstances should you EVER behave like the opposite sex in any capacity whatsoever.

A few years ago, the Council of Bishops at the Vatican actually sent a warning to all American nuns: You are spending too much time helping the poor and needy and not enough time condemning and opposing gay marriage.

Yeah ... this is why moving away from religion is evolving like the Cambrian Explosion.

And Christianity has never EVER mobilized with such completeness and capacity than when gays wanted the right to marry. Perhaps the last time Christianity mobilized in such a fashion was during the 1980s when it tried to impose theocratic fascism onto our basic freedoms; they (the fundamentalists) ran hither and yon through most of that decade having book burnings, going on censorship binges, vandalizing public libraries, going on crusade against rock music, and essentially acting like the religious Nazis they were back then.

Sure, Christianity does some good works -- if you're in need of a winter coat, a crappy toy for your kids at Christmas, a hot meal, and a cot filled with mystery stains to sleep on (assuming you can get one before they all run out).

Notice how Matadora's post said: White evangelical Protestants remain the dominant religious force in the GOP.

This is why religion -- especially fundamentalist religion -- is like living in the bloody Dark Ages.

Remember that white evangelical Protestants support Trump and the Republican party. The Republicans want to trash the Medicaid program by gutting its funding by over 50% so that people making over $250,000 per year can have a big fat tax break. They want to rape the Disability program, as well, for the same reason.

White evangelical Protestants support this -- EVEN when they, themselves, are on Medicaid or Disability!!

As I said elsewhere many moons ago: In 1946, the Allies held the Nuremburg trials whereby thousands of Nazis were executed for "crimes against humanity" for having their signatures on just one document authorizing the deaths of even a handful of Jews.

Therefore, politicians who knowingly and willfully vote for a bill that will quite literally kill thousands, if not tens of thousands, of innocent American citizens who would be thrown off Medicaid and lose their access to the treatments and medications keeping them alive are as guilty of "crimes against humanity" as any Nazi. Perhaps Paul Ryan and Gang should be strung up just like the Hitlerites were ...?

I bring this up because it shows how far afield American Christianity -- at least the fundamentalist and evangelical segment of it -- has fallen from the teachings of Jesus. So much so that even calling them "Christian" is an insult to the Christian religion.

Once again, perhaps you're not paying much attention, but there seems to be very little "spirituality" in America's religion. The very squeaky wheel that is fundamentalism in this country only cares about pushing its fascistic, oppressive, sexist, misogynistic, gender-policing, censoring/banning, sometimes racist, and often times hateful rules onto the rest of society while supporting and voting for politicians who literally ... yeah, that's right, literally ... try to pass legislation that will indirectly murder thousands of America's poor and needy.

Not very Christian-like, now, is it, given that Jesus was very clear in how the poor ought to be treated, for they shall inherit the earth while rich folk are trying to squeeze that camel through the needle's eye. The so-called "Christian" right are the main reason why America is the ONLY nation on the planet without universal health care; we're still a backwards nation that gives the wealthy a tacitly granted right to live longer, healthier life than the poor.

Yep, the fewer people who subscribe to this unholy and barbaric mixture of Christianity and right-wing fascist extremism, the better.

EVOLVING.

Because we have light years to go before we even begin to catch up to all of those "horrible" secular nations who have booted religion to the curb.

I'd even get into the latent Puritanism that still pervades our culture and why it has made our civilization so toxic, but I've written enough already. Yet, if we could strangle the life out of most of those nasty Puritanical values still lurking within our culture, we could evolve even more, be more enlightened still!

But no ... if anything, we're devolving thanks to all of those wonderful GOP Christians who elected a full-on racist to the oval office thus emboldening the worst individuals and groups American society has to offer.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:02 AM

18,493 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I bring this up because it shows how far afield American Christianity -- at least the fundamentalist and evangelical segment of it -- has fallen from the teachings of Jesus. So much so that even calling them "Christian" is an insult to the Christian religion.
The teachings of Jesus are not all sweetness and light. There's plenty of "fire and brimstone" material attributed to Jesus in the four canonical gospels. In many ways, the evangelicals and fundamentalists *are* upholding the teachings of Jesus: they just emphasize the "fire and brimstone" stuff more than the "peace, love, and helping the poor" stuff.

Are evangelicals and fundamentalists an insult to the Christian religion? Maybe, but Christianity has always had a dark side. Look at what the church did throughout its history to people it considered heretics. Christianity has always considered itself the One True Faith and converted (often by force) whole parts of the globe to Christianity for that reason.

Old 09-11-2017, 07:45 AM

611 posts, read 281,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Thank you for the posting. It is an interesting study that I would have otherwise missed.

As for an "evolving society," I would agree that the decline in religious association/belief is a facet of the evolving U.S. society, but whether in and of itself it will be beneficial is debatable.

And there are other very strong - perhaps much stronger - forces that are shaping the evolving society and their influence may make the suggested benefit of religious decline negligible.

• The loss of privacy through the use of personal devices, i.e. cellphone
  • Elevation of entertainment celebrities to the level of authoritative commentators in politics, etc.
  • Consumerism and mindless personal greed
  • Fear focused on the loss of national importance in the face of international change, rather than a belief in the ability of the country to adapt and change to these changes.
  • Factionalism
  • "Relationships" developed and dependent upon web sites, texting, etc. rather than heavy on personal in-the-flesh contact.
And other factors as well. My own feeling is that if we end up a nation of idiot jackasses, it won't matter whether we go to church, synagogue or temple or not. Jackasses with their noses glued to their smartphones are not an improvement over jackasses with their noses glued to a sectarian holy book, they are jackasses still.

Matadora wrote, "You should do some research on developed secular nations and see how much better the quality of life is in those countries."

I emigrated to Europe, so I get to see some of these societies and they are not alike in their "quality of life" as far as my own personal thoughts are concerned. But then we would have to be off and running on what "quality of life" can mean, and that may be beyond the original intention of the thread. I will say that I am living in a nation that is rapidly losing its active Christian religious element, and what is evolving is very disheartening because the new factors seem to be even more destructive on some levels.
Very insightful post. Christian has become nothing but a useless tag line, a catch all tag of very different people with very different beliefs, with usually one thing in common...They are not very ChristLike.

We need a moral compass. Truth and wisdom is wherever you find it, and when you take your nose out of a book, is hopefully what you take with you. And as far as I am concerned, the best moral compass I have found can be found in the scriptures, for the spiritual: "Fulfill the law of Christ."

I guess Christ got to the point he just screamed it at the dull ears since it is in all caps: "LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND ALL THY SOUL, AND ALL THY MIND. And the second is like an image unto it, LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF." - That Golden Rule.

Whether religion, christian, or government, it's just men doing what they want and any moral compass gets wrapped and strangled in the bureaucracy of our laws. Honesty and truth seems to be but a relic long lost by our leaders; and money, profit, and wealth is the moral compass of today. More destructive on all levels if you ask me.

-

Old 09-11-2017, 07:54 AM

611 posts, read 281,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There's plenty of "fire and brimstone" material attributed to Jesus in the four canonical gospels.
I think they did see a lot of fire and brimstone. And if things here today don't change, I think we too will see a lot of fire and brimstone. Anyone in Afghanistan, or round about, seen any fire and brimstone lately?
Attributed to Jesus? What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality