Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 06:21 AM

815 posts, read 1,543,424 times

Advertisements

States are based on Christian religion (and other countries).
1) Christians extended church languages.
2) the Policy of the states are bible principles. To grasp "not true" and to use their earth, people and resources (to provide to itself easier existence (easy position of the power)).
So "prophets" in "the sacred writing"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:43 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
This is about as accurate as saying that America was based on the English language. Of course. Much of Christian laws are but common sense, but No God Required. Ever.

Thus, it's NOT a Christian country. Only in the minds of devout Christians, who desperately want control. Of schools, government, laws. Plus forced denial of Evolution and science. and daily mandatory prayer chanting. (If you want that, go to Iran... Certainly a thuggo-theocracy)

Sorry. No go. Check out The Constitution. Not allowed. Despite Pat Robertson & "W".

Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 PM

494 posts, read 890,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloy View Post
States are based on Christian religion (and other countries).
1) Christians extended church languages.
2) the Policy of the states are bible principles. To grasp "not true" and to use their earth, people and resources (to provide to itself easier existence (easy position of the power)).
So "prophets" in "the sacred writing"
Can anyone decode that? Is it just me that sees it as jibber-jabber?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Anyone that doesn't think the U.S.A. was founded on Christian principles is deluded and must be looking at it with a biased perspective.

It was the perfect con-job...say you aren't doing it, even put it in your documents you aren't doing it...then do it so heavily you actually have the govt print up a translation of the sacred writings of a particular belief system and put it in the schools as the main text book. Make the religious organizations permanently tax exempt to assure they thrive. Talk soooooo much religious dogma you may as well be a preacher. Not all the guys...but the vast majority...then and now.

It's STILL a Christian promoting govt. I hear, "God Bless the American People and God Bless America" at the closing of EVERY major political speech given.

Com'ooooooooon...if anyone says this country wasn't founded AND is being perpetuated on Christian Principles, they need to open their eyes and ears and get a clue!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
America was not founded on christianity and it is not based on christian morals/principles.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Anyone that doesn't think the U.S.A. was founded on Christian principles is deluded and must be looking at it with a biased perspective.
Sorry, but this country was in no way founded on Christian principles. And that is the totally non-deluded and unbiased historical truth. It was in fact founded by folks who were FED UP and FLEEING FROM countries founded on Christian and Biblical principles. The principle founders were Deists who found Christianity an irrational and absurd man-made religion, yet understood it to be a necessary crutch for the populace.

I challenge you to provide a list of these "Christian principles" this nation was allegedly founded upon. Freedom of religion, right to a fair trial, freedom of speech and the press certainly don't qualify. Slavery and subjugation of "heathens" are the only two that are a possible fit.

All the rights and freedoms we enjoy have been won in direct conflict with "Christian principles" - from the emancipation, to women's suffrage to prohibition to desegregation and even into the modern day (see proposition 8).

Christian nation? Nope! If anything, this nation was founded on ideals taken from ancient pagan Greek democracy and ancient pagan and Roman laws.

The Christian Delusion: Modern Democracy

Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,158,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
It's STILL a Christian promoting govt. I hear, "God Bless the American People and God Bless America" at the closing of EVERY major political speech given.
Funny, most Christians I've debated claim that when "God" is invoked in government it is not reference the Christian God specifically, but rather a generic higher power (and it does in fact usually refer to the Deist God). Funny how you change your tune depending on which argument you are attempting to win. LOL

Of course, which deity a politician or President personally chooses to invoke at the end of a speech is pretty much irrelevant to this nation's purpose or founding.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:51 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
pretty safe bet they believed and still believe in a god.
whose is up for debate.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:02 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuixoticHobbit View Post
Sorry, but this country was in no way founded on Christian principles. And that is the totally non-deluded and unbiased historical truth. It was in fact founded by folks who were FED UP and FLEEING FROM countries founded on Christian and Biblical principles. The principle founders were Deists who found Christianity an irrational and absurd man-made religion, yet understood it to be a necessary crutch for the populace.

I challenge you to provide a list of these "Christian principles" this nation was allegedly founded upon. Freedom of religion, right to a fair trial, freedom of speech and the press certainly don't qualify. Slavery and subjugation of "heathens" are the only two that are a possible fit.

All the rights and freedoms we enjoy have been won in direct conflict with "Christian principles" - from the emancipation, to women's suffrage to prohibition to desegregation and even into the modern day (see proposition 8).

Christian nation? Nope! If anything, this nation was founded on ideals taken from ancient pagan Greek democracy and ancient pagan and Roman laws.

The Christian Delusion: Modern Democracy

We've been through this before Dude. As is known...the MAIN principle of Christianity is worship of God and Jesus, and using the Bible as guidance.
I'll give you the response I gave you AGAIN...it is PROOF POSITIVE:

So I'll let the guys that put this country together answer that challenge for me:::

John Adams and John Hancock:
We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!

John Adams:
“ The general principles upon which the Fathers achieved independence were the general principals of Christianity… I will avow that I believed and now believe that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”

“[July 4th] ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty.”

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

"I have examined all religions, as well as my narrow sphere, my straightened means, and my busy life, would allow; and the result is that the Bible is the best Book in the world. It contains more philosophy than all the libraries I have seen."

"Without Religion this World would be Something not fit to be mentioned in polite Company, I mean Hell."

Samuel Adams:
“ He who made all men hath made the truths necessary to human happiness obvious to all… Our forefathers opened the Bible to all.”

“ Let divines and philosophers, statesmen and patriots, unite their endeavors to renovate the age by impressing the minds of men with the importance of educating their little boys and girls, inculcating in the minds of youth the fear and love of the Deity… and leading them in the study and practice of the exalted virtues of the Christian system.”

John Quincy Adams:
“Why is it that, next to the birthday of the Savior of the world, your most joyous and most venerated festival returns on this day [the Fourth of July]?" “Is it not that, in the chain of human events, the birthday of the nation is indissolubly linked with the birthday of the Savior? That it forms a leading event in the progress of the Gospel dispensation? Is it not that the Declaration of Independence first organized the social compact on the foundation of the Redeemer's mission upon earth? That it laid the cornerstone of human government upon the first precepts of Christianity"?

“The Law given from Sinai [The Ten Commandments] was a civil and municipal as well as a moral and religious code.”

Charles Carroll - signer of the Declaration of Independence
" Without morals a republic cannot subsist any length of time; they therefore who are decrying the Christian religion, whose morality is so sublime and pure...are undermining the solid foundation of morals, the best security for the duration of free governments."

Benjamin Franklin:
“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel”

In Benjamin Franklin's 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he insisted that schools teach "the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern."
In 1787 when Franklin helped found Benjamin Franklin University, it was dedicated as "a nursery of religion and learning, built on Christ, the Cornerstone."

Alexander Hamilton:
• Hamilton began work with the Rev. James Bayard to form the Christian Constitutional Society to help spread over the world the two things which Hamilton said made America great:
(1) Christianity
(2) a Constitution formed under Christianity.
“The Christian Constitutional Society, its object is first: The support of the Christian religion. Second: The support of the United States.”

"For my own part, I sincerely esteem it [the Constitution] a system which without the finger of God, never could have been suggested and agreed upon by such a diversity of interests."

"I have carefully examined the evidences of the Christian religion, and if I was sitting as a juror upon its authenticity I would unhesitatingly give my verdict in its favor. I can prove its truth as clearly as any proposition ever submitted to the mind of man."

John Hancock:
“In circumstances as dark as these, it becomes us, as Men and Christians, to reflect that whilst every prudent measure should be taken to ward off the impending judgments, …at the same time all confidence must be withheld from the means we use; and reposed only on that God rules in the armies of Heaven, and without His whole blessing, the best human counsels are but foolishness… Resolved; …Thursday the 11th of May…to humble themselves before God under the heavy judgments felt and feared, to confess the sins that have deserved them, to implore the Forgiveness of all our transgressions, and a spirit of repentance and reformation …and a Blessing on the … Union of the American Colonies in Defense of their Rights [for which hitherto we desire to thank Almighty God]…That the people of Great Britain and their rulers may have their eyes opened to discern the things that shall make for the peace of the nation…for the redress of America’s many grievances, the restoration of all her invaded liberties, and their security to the latest generations."

Patrick Henry:
"This is all the inheritance I can give my dear family. The religion of Christ can give them one which will make them rich indeed.”

“It cannot be emphasized too clearly and too often that this nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religion, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ. For this very reason, peoples of other faiths have been afforded asylum, prosperity, and freedom of worship here.”

“The Bible is worth all other books which have ever been printed.”

John Jay:
“ Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.”

Thomas Jefferson:
“Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.”

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.”

James Madison
“ We’ve staked our future on our ability to follow the Ten Commandments with all of our heart.”

“We have staked the whole future of American civilization, not upon the power of government, far from it. We’ve staked the future of all our political institutions upon our capacity…to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God.”

"I have sometimes thought there could not be a stronger testimony in favor of religion or against temporal enjoyments, even the most rational and manly, than for men who occupy the most honorable and gainful departments and [who] are rising in reputation and wealth, publicly to declare the unsatisfactoriness [of temporal enjoyments] by becoming fervent advocates in the cause of Christ; and I wish you may give in your evidence in this way."

“It is the mutual duty of all to practice Christian forbearance, love, and charity toward each other.”

"A watchful eye must be kept on ourselves lest, while we are building ideal monuments of renown and bliss here, we neglect to have our names enrolled in the Annals of Heaven."

James McHenry Signer of the Constitution
Public utility pleads most forcibly for the general distribution of the Holy Scriptures. The doctrine they preach, the obligations they impose, the punishment they threaten, the rewards they promise, the stamp and image of divinity they bear, which produces a conviction of their truths, can alone secure to society, order and peace, and to our courts of justice and constitutions of government, purity, stability and usefulness. In vain, without the Bible, we increase penal laws and draw entrenchments around our institutions. Bibles are strong entrenchments. Where they abound, men cannot pursue wicked courses, and at the same time enjoy quiet conscience.

Jedediah Morse:
"To the kindly influence of Christianity we owe that degree of civil freedom, and political and social happiness which mankind now enjoys. . . . Whenever the pillars of Christianity shall be overthrown, our present republican forms of government, and all blessings which flow from them, must fall with them."

Thomas Paine:
“ It has been the error of the schools to teach astronomy, and all the other sciences, and subjects of natural philosophy, as accomplishments only; whereas they should be taught theologically, or with reference to the Being who is the author of them: for all the principles of science are of divine origin. Man cannot make, or invent, or contrive principles: he can only discover them; and he ought to look through the discovery to the Author.”

“ The evil that has resulted from the error of the schools, in teaching natural philosophy as an accomplishment only, has been that of generating in the pupils a species of atheism. Instead of looking through the works of creation to the Creator himself, they stop short, and employ the knowledge they acquire to create doubts of his existence. They labour with studied ingenuity to ascribe every thing they behold to innate properties of matter, and jump over all the rest by saying, that matter is eternal.”

Benjamin Rush:
• “I lament that we waste so much time and money in punishing crimes and take so little pains to prevent them…we neglect the only means of establishing and perpetuating our republican forms of government; that is, the universal education of our youth in the principles of Christianity by means of the Bible; for this Divine Book, above all others, constitutes the soul of republicanism.” “By withholding the knowledge of [the Scriptures] from children, we deprive ourselves of the best means of awakening moral sensibility in their minds.”

“Christianity is the only true and perfect religion.”

"Let the children who are sent to those schools be taught to read and write and above all, let both sexes be carefully instructed in the principles and obligations of the Christian religion. This is the most essential part of education”

Noah Webster:
“ The duties of men are summarily comprised in the Ten Commandments, consisting of two tables; one comprehending the duties which we owe immediately to God-the other, the duties we owe to our fellow men.”

“In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government ought to be instructed...No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people.”

"Let it be impressed on your mind that God commands you to choose for rulers just men who will rule in the fear of God [Exodus 18:21]. . . . If the citizens neglect their duty and place unprincipled men in office, the government will soon be corrupted . . . If our government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens neglect the Divine commands, and elect bad men to make and administer the laws."

“All the miseries and evils which men suffer from vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war, proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible.”

“The Bible was America’s basic textbook
in all fields.”

“Education is useless without the Bible”

George Washington:
"The name of American, which belongs to you, in your national capacity, must always exalt the just pride of Patriotism, more than any appellation derived from local discriminations. With slight shades of difference, you have the same religion" ...and later: "...reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle..."

“ It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”

“What students would learn in American schools above all is the religion of Jesus Christ.”

"To the distinguished character of patriot, it should be our highest glory to add the more distinguished character of Christian"

During his inauguration, Washington took the oath as prescribed by the Constitution but added several religious components to that official ceremony. Before taking his oath of office, he summoned a Bible on which to take the oath, added the words “So help me God!” to the end of the oath, then leaned over and kissed the Bible.

Proposals for the seal of the United States of America
• “Moses lifting his wand and dividing the Red Sea” –Ben Franklin

• “The children of Israel in the wilderness, led by a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.” --Thomas Jefferson

The three branches of the U.S. Government: Judicial, Legislative, Executive
• At the Constitutional Convention of 1787, James Madison proposed the plan to divide the central government into three branches. He discovered this model of government from the Perfect Governor, as he read Isaiah 33:22;
“For the LORD is our judge,
the LORD is our lawgiver,
the LORD is our king;
He will save us.”
Article 22 of the constitution of Delaware (1776)
Required all officers, besides taking an oath of allegiance, to make and subscribe to the following declaration:
• "I, [name], do profess faith in God the Father, and in Jesus Christ His only Son, and in the Holy Ghost, one God, blessed for evermore; and I do acknowledge the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testament to be given by divine inspiration."

I guess that's enough to MORE than answer the challange...but there are hundreds more. I know you hate the reality of it...but the fact of the matter is incontrovertible.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
America was not founded on christianity and it is not based on christian morals/principles.
Let's put this bovine fecal matter to rest once and for all.

While Christianity believe in the holy trinity I fail to see a correlation between trinitarianism and the three branches of government.

Further...

What would be the scriptural position on:
  • freedom of the press,
  • the right to bear arms,
  • quartering of troops,
  • search and seizure,
  • deprivation of life and property without due process,
  • timeliness of trial,
  • self incrimination,
  • jury trials for civil matters,
  • cruel and unusual punishment,

Now we might find some relationship between rendering on to Caesar and the 10th Amendment but even that would stretch credulity to the limit. So, unless someone can cite some body of law that is based upon the Code of Hammurabi, spare me the "based upon Christian morals and principles" argument, archaic state codes excepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality