Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 06:45 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times

Advertisements

The thread about religion and death leads me to ask the title questions. I’m genuinely curious to hear your answers, particularly in light of the fact that for most of us, it’ll be far less physically painful. Sooooo...why? Fear of eternal damnation? Life’s too precious? Less afraid of death than of decrepitude?

I’m not afraid at all. I can’t be sad about my body gradually breaking down and life leaving it because that’s the way of all things. I hope not to die in some excruciating manner but the chances are much smaller than they used to be. I can’t be sad about never seeing loved ones again because I don’t expect it.

But enough about what I think. I suspect that many of you, regardless of belief, are similarly not (much) afraid, but like death, I’m willing to admit the possibility that I’m wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 07:44 AM

678 posts, read 429,079 times
I'm agnostic and not afraid of death but I hope to live for another 50+ years.

I think it comes down to fear, control and ego. Religion is often driven by fear and afterlife which I think is unfortunate. Control comes down to wanting to control the future and one's own destiny. Ego comes down to desiring to have had more of an impact in the world and have lived a different/greater life.

I think it takes a deep dive into ones greatest fears and what causes them but once you can get at the root and not live in fear, it's a freeing and powerful thing.

Old 11-04-2017, 08:33 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
No, since a near-drowning as a child, I'm not concerned. But like most sensible people, I'd prefer it be peaceful, painless, and a fair bit further down the road.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:14 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Not looking forward to it but not afraid of it either. I am more afraid of having an old age where I have more limited mobility and as such am taking measures to combat that or at least postpone that.

Do very religious people look forward to death so that they can be with Jesus? My job list is too long so I must live for a long time yet. ☺

Old 11-04-2017, 09:19 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The thread about religion and death leads me to ask the title questions. I’m genuinely curious to hear your answers, particularly in light of the fact that for most of us, it’ll be far less physically painful. Sooooo...why? Fear of eternal damnation? Life’s too precious? Less afraid of death than of decrepitude?

I’m not afraid at all. I can’t be sad about my body gradually breaking down and life leaving it because that’s the way of all things. I hope not to die in some excruciating manner but the chances are much smaller than they used to be. I can’t be sad about never seeing loved ones again because I don’t expect it.

But enough about what I think. I suspect that many of you, regardless of belief, are similarly not (much) afraid, but like death, I’m willing to admit the possibility that I’m wrong.
I am not afraid of death, I have always longed for death and I welcome it, it is the process of dying that scares me, but I am not afraid of dying, and I do believe in an afterlife.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:29 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
The instinct is there. I'll leap out of the way of a passing car, or run from someone using a gun. Or feel fear when the house starts falling in or then 'plane I'm in starts to fall out of the sky.

Nobody wants to die, and nor do I. But I know I'll doe some day, and while I'm putting the bastard off as long as I can "You'll have to come and knock me on the head!" And i hate the idea of dying in pain or a drooling old imbecile..or a worse one, at least.. The idea of not living forever is Not terribly attractive to me. In fact the idea of going to sleep and never having to woken up by some religious bod hanging on the doorbell is a bit of a relief.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The instinct is there. I'll leap out of the way of a passing car, or run from someone using a gun. Or feel fear when the house starts falling in or then 'plane I'm in starts to fall out of the sky.

Nobody wants to die, and nor do I. But I know I'll doe some day, and while I'm putting the bastard off as long as I can "You'll have to come and knock me on the head!" And i hate the idea of dying in pain or a drooling old imbecile..or a worse one, at least.. The idea of not living forever is Not terribly attractive to me. In fact the idea of going to sleep and never having to woken up by some religious bod hanging on the doorbell is a bit of a relief.
Some people do want to die, one of my greatest regrets is that I ruined somebody's car and they didn't know me or deserve what I did to them, and dear Lord I feel so guilty. I ran out in the middle of interstate 45 one night in front of a car doing about 80 and they slammed on their breaks and must have ruined every tire going into a spin trying to miss me and I am trying to get hit. I am not suicidal anymore, but I tried to commit suicide at 5 or 6 when my mother noticed I had taken a whole bottle of pills and she took me to get my stomach pumped. My mother took out a life insurance policy on me and nobody else in the family because nobody expected me to get to ten years old lol.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:01 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Irrational thinking. Guilt solves nothing. If I may say so, Forgive yourself as you forgive others ain't a bad rule. The only real Guilt is from failing to learn from your mistakes and the only real Sin is not striving to do better from what you have learned. Continuing to keep making the same errors and refusing to listen, learn and change is what makes hell for yourself and everyone else, and right here - you don't need to wait for a judgment.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-04-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 11-04-2017, 11:07 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
I'm not afraid of death, i.e. physical death. All beings die. It's part of nature and existence. I believe there's a chance of a future, completely spiritual life. If it's real and happens, great, I'll be prepared for it. If it's not there, no problem.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Irrational thinking. Guilt solves nothing. If I may say so, Forgive yourself as you forgive others ain't a bad rule. The only real Guilt is from failing to learn from your mistakes and the only real Sin is not striving to do better from what you have learned. Continuing to keep making the same errors and refusing to listen, learn and change is what makes hell for yourself and everyone else, and right here - you don't need to wait for a judgment.
My problem was a mixture of things, bad things in my childhood, but the worst mixture of God with that is what did me in. When I was able to read, I believed what I read at a very early age. I believed I knew everything coming to me and it was all hell fire and torture and brim stone because I believed every word, and I still do, but now I have a different view. Kids should not be raised obsessed with the bible, and I guess I always was, always will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality