Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 02:47 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times

Advertisements

just as a minor quibble, the universe is not infinite and there are a limited number of stars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 05:38 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
just as a minor quibble, the universe is not infinite and there are a limited number of stars
But are there universes beyond the scope of our technology/knowledge? What telescope is capable of seeing all the way to inifinity?

Old 03-22-2008, 06:12 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
But are there universes beyond the scope of our technology/knowledge? What telescope is capable of seeing all the way to inifinity?
We don't know if there is anything beyond the universe but the uni itself can't be infinite and static(as well as homologous and isotropic which we observe) or else the entire sky would be lit up. Its called Olber's paradox and its pretty interesting

Old 03-23-2008, 02:03 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,821 times
HOLY MOLY!!
You guys are movin' at the speed of light here!! I gotta respond to so much, before it's all just history, or just 'nothingness'.. I have so much to think about!

DIMSUMRAJA---nanu nanu! Namaste! We were on the same flight, apparently!

Old 03-23-2008, 02:08 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
HOLY MOLY!!
You guys are movin' at the speed of light here!! I gotta respond to so much, before it's all just history, or just 'nothingness'.. I have so much to think about!

DIMSUMRAJA---nanu nanu! Namaste! We were on the same flight, apparently!
Hello anomoly, always good to hear from anyone in TorC!!!
Keep the faith! DimSum

Old 03-23-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
Hello anomoly, always good to hear from anyone in TorC!!!
Keep the faith! DimSum
WHAT?? Ok, now you're scaring me...

Old 03-23-2008, 03:21 PM

Default doin time in space...

[quote=DimSumRaja;3220045]Eternity is easy to comprehend! Every little kid who has ever looked up at the sky just knows that the stars go on forever.
I don't think it's so easy to comprehend, don't think that example would have convinced me...
But to be in physical human form some things have to be "dummied down" or we wouldn't be able to function in this lifetime. If we had conscious knowledge and awareness of our simultaneous past and simultaneous futures (which are in reality all going on right now) it would be a major distraciton to getting through the work day!Believe you me, IT IS!! Plus the "rules" for incarnating on earth in physical form include voluntary "amnesia" for a time, a drawing of the veil, agreeing to the "rules of the game" for its duration.
It's like taking on a role in a play, or visiting a foreign land, you abide by the customs, you take on a role. But the role you take on, the rules you play by during the brief visit, well, they aren't the be-all and end-all and you after all come from a different place and will one day go back there. This is a stop along the way for fun and growth and evolving and learning.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
What would you do if you were out in deep space for all of eternity all alone, and could do anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
i would at one point go insane and kill myself. The reason for this is that at first i would do everything that i ever wanted to entertain myself but eternity is a long time. After doing everything i would want to do, i would go on doing everything i could possibly imagine doing with my family and friends. So how much more time would i have? ah right infinity. Well lets do all the things again and again an infinite amount of times. How long do i have now? infinity eh? hmm well i think ill do nothing for an infinite amount of time. How about now? what do i do now? infinity?!?!?. *bang*
Well, Coos, for once we agree! No Thank You!! You state the obvious, for me!

Now, Dim, We obviously see the same light, but, (and here goes)
I DON'T think it's fun at all!! I absolutely know there's a reason, and a lesson to be learned, but,
let's just say, I've always felt like
my classmates have come and gone, and left me behind, and I'm sitting here on this boring a## life plane,
re-taking the same class with beings, for whom this is their first time.
Of course, it's interesting to them!
Me, I'm bored (always have been), 'bintherdunthat!'
I'm always thinking: Can I go now??

I've always felt like --and use the phrase often--
"These are not my People!" I'm supposed to be somewhere else! Just because I look like them, doesn't mean I am one!
Note the name btw: 'anomoly' (..i know it's misspelled, so don't start)

I'm always the one in God's waiting room, saying "pick me! pick me!
I'm probably like the Physics guys here who are thinking: "These people are soo simple...why can't they understand? (well i don't get the physics, but i get the complexity of it)

Anyway, that's my thoughts, as I'm sittin here in Eternity, passing time, and making the most of it.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:21 PM

249 posts, read 532,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
He had to come from somewhere/something. Right? So...from where? Or what? And what was "there" before God came into being? Was there just...nothing? And how could anything come from nothing? (In fact, it was the "universe--something from nothing" thread that made me think to ask this question.)
This depends on the way we understand the word “nothing”.

And whether we are acknowledging our own perceptual limitations.

For example..

If someone gives me an Easter egg.. of course.. I am hoping it is full of chocolates..

But then.. when I open it.. I might say.. with a great deal of disappointment..

“ There’s nothing in it!”

Yet. is that a true statement.. ?

Not really.. because it has air in it.. and maybe even some microscopic creepy crawlies.. who love chocolate.

So.. it is only down to my own sensory limitations.. that I perceive this nothingness.. since.. I only tend to see what is important for me.

Next.. I travel into deep space.. in a vessel that I built in my back yard.

There.. at least.. I can be sure of discovering an absolute nothingness.

But again.. is this true really..?

Deep space is full of particles.. traveling from one place to another.

However.. I can’t feel any gravity.

Does this mean that in deep space gravity doesn’t exist.. ?

Or is this down to my very limited perceptions and understanding again.. ?

Finally.. I stretch the very fabric of the universe apart.. feeling sure.. that at last.. I have found non-existence.

But is this strong conviction… like my previous experiences.. due to my own limitations.. ?

Or am I onto an absolute.. indisputable truth.. at last.. ?

---

“Consciousness is a being, the nature of which is to be conscious of the nothingness of its being.”

Jean-Paul Sartre

Click the pic.. it's an illustration of myself.. looking for nothing.. "outside" the universe..:-)
-
Attached Thumbnails
Where did God come from?-timeless-reach.jpg  

Last edited by accelerator; 03-23-2008 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-23-2008, 05:27 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Now, Dim, We obviously see the same light, but, (and here goes)
I DON'T think it's fun at all!! I absolutely know there's a reason, and a lesson to be learned, but,
let's just say, I've always felt like
my classmates have come and gone, and left me behind, and I'm sitting here on this boring a## life plane,
re-taking the same class with beings, for whom this is their first time.
Of course, it's interesting to them!
Me, I'm bored (always have been), 'bintherdunthat!'
I'm always thinking: Can I go now??

I've always felt like --and use the phrase often--
"These are not my People!" I'm supposed to be somewhere else! Just because I look like them, doesn't mean I am one!
Anyway, that's my thoughts, as I'm sittin here in Eternity, passing time, and making the most of it.
But....(like they say in that movie, 'here comes the big butt')
we have to remember: we came here BY CHOICE
now if the earth existence does not feel like it's making a whole lot of sense at times, then one of the major puzzles or mysteries to unravel this lifetime is....if i came here BYCHOICE (which i did) then it was for a really good reason, because the "eternal me" is a whole lot wiser and smarter and broader in perspective than the "personality me"

so then the incentive is let go of the poor-me-i'm special/different/whatever-no one understands me-i'm not like them (not you personally, anyone who feels "different or left out or not understood" in any way, shape, or form) and find the places where joy and excitement and passion and pleasure live, along with acceptance and love especially for ourselves.....OR ELSE we have to come back and do it again!
so if we've figured out and get some of the big stuff (spirit, universe, whatever) then it usually boils down to the basics of finding and receiving and living in this life that little thing called LOVE, through our open hearts, and that what you said earlier? WRONG....you do belong, you are and have chosen to be human this go around, welcome to the family, and here's a big HUG!!!

and if you miss the folks back home, which it sounds like you do, that yearning, then talk to them as often as you want and ask them for help, guidance, direction, comfort, tell them how you feel, tell them you need some improvement (i demand regularly, 'show me the money') and see how they respond.

whaddya think?!

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-23-2008 at 05:45 PM..

Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM

790 posts, read 4,019,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
From the time I was little, I would lie awake at night and wonder, Where did God come from? He must have been "born" somehow. From what?

When I asked my mother, "When was God born?" she said, "God has always existed, so God was never born." (Thanks, Mom. I'll send you my therapist bill.)

He had to come from somewhere/something. Right? So...from where? Or what? And what was "there" before God came into being? Was there just...nothing? And how could anything come from nothing? (In fact, it was the "universe--something from nothing" thread that made me think to ask this question.)

I'm not any mainstream religion but I do believe in God. I'm curious what others of any religion or philosophy believe on this.
No Beginning, No End.
Buddhism ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Science > On Point : Forget the Big Bang Theory
(http://www.onpointradio.org/shows/2007/05/20070531_b_main.asp - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality