Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 08:57 PM

678 posts, read 430,902 times

Advertisements

Curious how people on here feel about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 12:50 AM

22,636 posts, read 19,342,932 times
this question does not make sense to me

Old 12-12-2017, 12:53 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,784,455 times
I'm assuming the OP is speaking of 'the fear of God' as it is variously mentioned in Holy Scripture.
Perhaps he will give more details?

Old 12-12-2017, 01:52 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,105,618 times
Why is there a belief among some people that religious faith is forced upon mankind ONLY AND ONLY AND ONLY by fear?

I personally believe that religious faith is based on common sense and intelligence - Athiests also believe that disbelief in faith is based on their common sense and their own intelligence.

And the answer to that is very simple - "We shall wait and we shall see".

So far as the fear of God goes - I believe this serves as an additional deterrence for the believers to abstain from doing injustice and bad things to others.

A believer should think twice and FEAR from God before he does injustice to someone or hurts and harms someone. THATS the fear of God.

Those who do NOT believe in God, do not have the concept of fear of God. That's obvious.

But those who believe in God, should actually fear from the concequences of their own bad actions. They should try to do what's good and try to abstain from what's bad - and then they should be hopeful from God, instead of fearing from him.

Yes, we will make mistakes and we will commit sins because that's what makes us humans - but - when that happens we should make up for the sins, repent and make an honest intention to not repeat the sins - and then again, be hopeful from God.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:19 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
It;s a human instinct./ Stick and carrot as motivation, and when the carrot isn't enough, you need the stick.

Even Buddhism, which really had no Punishment other than a series of afterlives (which most people thought was just great )had to invent a Hell just to put a bit pf Fear into it.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:52 AM

9,699 posts, read 10,056,360 times
God calls Christians to have No fear for His faith , as fear blocks faith and God cannot move to bless people who fear ...... Fear in religion is for those who deny God and would be lost to God and His eternal life

Old 12-12-2017, 02:53 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,830,695 times
It;s a human instinct./ Stick and carrot as motivation, and when the carrot isn't enough, you need the stick.

Even Buddhism, which really had no Punishment other than a series of afterlives (which most people thought was just great )had to invent a Hell just to put a bit pf Fear into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
God calls Christians to have No fear for His faith , as fear blocks faith and God cannot move to bless people who fear ...... Fear in religion is for those who deny God and would be lost to God and His eternal life
Why can't God move to bless people who fear? What's stopping him?

Old 12-12-2017, 04:18 AM

7,612 posts, read 4,186,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

I agree about it being instinct. My daughter chose to believe in a god, really something magical, when she realized I have a limited lifespan. It's a compliment.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:57 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,290,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
AND yet so many fear damnation and sinning?

Old 12-12-2017, 06:21 AM

678 posts, read 430,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I'm assuming the OP is speaking of 'the fear of God' as it is variously mentioned in Holy Scripture.
Perhaps he will give more details?

I can state where I'm personally coming from, maybe it'll help some, but it'll probably unintentionally offend others.

Recently I've done a deeper dive looking at my personal fears (common stuff like will my children grow to be happy and healthy, will I die young before I make a big enough impact on their lives, financial fear from childhood) and realized the fear if from me wanting to control the future. So if I give up the desire to control future outcomes, the fear dissipates and I can focus more clearly on my present situation.

I also accept my own limitations and I think it's driving me to try to become better in general and make more of a difference. But this feeling of inner peace and moral conscious is without any specific religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality