Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 03:18 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,026,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Weren't you the one that accused me of being a Roy Moore supporter (I'm not, btw) and then ignored me? Why are you now following me?
Opposites tend to attract, but sometimes a little grooming is required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 05:00 AM

50,090 posts, read 20,843,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Your god could have sacrificed a son, but instead he chose to create a flood to wipe out everyone.

When he figures out sacrificing his "only begotten son" -- which is hysterical in and of itself since a god can always create another son -- doesn't work, what will he do next?
Of course, as the story (as adapted (1) goes, there was no sacrifice. As they say "Jesus was slightly inconvenienced for our sins," and was up and about a day or so later - none the worse for wear, give or take a few crucifixion marks. To claim that this was what God needed to provide a loophole in the original sin -rule he imposed on humanity for the stitch -up of Eden is the biggest horse - laugh in human history.

(1) originally it made sense when Jesus was a man driven by the Holy Spirit to be 'sacrificed' in obedience to God to wipe out the sin of Adam (Paul's hypothesis). He was killed and stayed dead while the spirit returned to heaven; that was at least something like a credible sacrifice.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:01 AM

392 posts, read 248,926 times
"Should God have left behind more evidence than just a Book?" "just a Book"

The description for the Word is given.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:17 AM

4,765 posts, read 2,003,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
One of the things that non-believers, and even some of us believers are always going to question, is why do we just have a book left behind?
As somebody who is moderate theist and deep thinker, I would like everyone to be on the same page and facing the same unbiased judgement at the end of their time on Earth.
I don't believe that other Religions, ie non-Bible believers, or non-believers are doomed, nor should they be.
What are your thoughts?

What are your reasons for what you think?

Old 05-18-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Your god could have sacrificed a son, but instead he chose to create a flood to wipe out everyone.

When he figures out sacrificing his "only begotten son" -- which is hysterical in and of itself since a god can always create another son -- doesn't work, what will he do next?

It is such a comfort to have someone in the forum smarter than God.

BTW gods cant do anything. They are figments of the imagination.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:21 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,618,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Honestly...you have your mind made up and have determined in your mind that you know best. Nothing can be said to change your mind. Certainly not facts.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
If it's a question of definitions, you can both give your own and agree both ideas. But you are not a dope, BF, mate, and you know what is meant here

A God that would do, order and plan atrocities; would condemn, torture and show no mercy.

That's a Monster.

P.s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lv1XPtQozU

So there.

Whole looking for something to post...just to watch while eating my evening curry...I found the Web Strewn with vids by Dr. Paul Copan arguing God's Morality. I suppose I ought to sit through them to not his points rather than ask Theists to do it for me, but really a moral argument does not stand up.
What was God's reason for destroying some people?

Unless you know, you are judging God without all of the facts. I that an honest thing to do?

Old 05-18-2018, 05:31 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,618,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
What was God's reason for destroying some people?

Unless you know, you are judging God without all of the facts. I that an honest thing to do?
What’s gods reason for creating people only to destroy or torture them?

I’ll just judge god on his drowning of everything living it created.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:45 AM

50,090 posts, read 20,843,621 times
But God didn't destroy all the people, Eusebius old mate. The evidence is that no such Flood happened. So at best Moses had God put the images of it into his head, just as he put into his head the absurd and non -scientific creation -story, just so the lesson would be got over over into the Book.

At 'worst' it was simply a tale compiled by Jews in Babylon fudging up a 'history' for the Jewish people, and borrowing a few Mesopotamian myths (1) to help them along.

But before you protest that I evaded your question, whatever God's reasons for destroying his own creation, the fact remains that this means either than God does NOT know what is going to happen and so is working blind and trying to fix His mistakes as he goes along or he DOES know what is going to happen and rather than skip Adam and start with Noah (who wasn't that much better) he preferred the option of kill, stitch -up and destroy and amply justified the human judgement of psychotic monster and blood -soaked beast.

We never consider that the reasons why Stalin or Pol Pot acted acted as they did. They are reprehensible dictators and that is that. Claiming that God is excused such judgement because he is more big and powerful than us, just as the Kim military regime is more big and powerful than its' cowed populace is simple inflating adulation of a loathsome dictator to cosmic size, just as you inflate your ego, opinions and feelings of self -worth to cosmic size and and call it "God".

Have a nice weekend old mate . How are things going? DM me.

(1) The Enuma Elish and Gilgamesh, for one;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_um69RqBpSw

and for Exodus, the life of Sargon of Akkad, and i strongly suspect, a Babylonian record of Ahmose, Pharoah of Egypt driving the Canaanite Hyksos out of the delta back into Canaan adapted to 'Moses' leading the Hebrews out of Egypt into Canaan. I could be wrong.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-18-2018 at 06:12 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 08:03 PM

2,309 posts, read 906,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Biblegod IS evidently a monster, and while this may be off topic, that is the way the debate is going.

Looking back your #100 trotted out the "Book of Life" as evidence for God, which is a horse that doesn't run at all.
you tried to bolster this with your opinion that "God is in control" (#108) which drops you right in it, saying that God is the 'manager'.
#110 tried to shift the blame to the players by the "Free Will" excuse and you rammed this hole with post #149 which blamed men for everything, which you analogy was trying to prove was true, but it in fact showed the opposite. So it's a bit late for you to try to field the "Off Topic" evasion to try to wriggle out of it.

I do love it when you people get caught in you own rat - trap and start frantically trying to gnaw your way out.
Actually I didn't said anything in#100. That wasn't me. In fact, I don't think I said anything until at most 2 pages back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality