Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 06:28 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times

Advertisements

Rock and roll is the thing that really helped bring the races together in the 20th century in America. But the fact that conservative Christians, even today, have always had such a negative view of rock music, really bothers me. It makes me question everything about the core Christian faith. The charismatic/Pentecostal churches had an enormous influence on rock music, and they are another thing that has been always criticized by conservative Christians. But music had a tremendous influence on Civil Rights in the US.

Are you a conservative Christian? Do you support this kind of thinking? Do you think that early rock and roll was music of the Devil?

Old 09-03-2018, 07:10 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
It's rather interesting......I watched a vid. exploring how US Christianity, while it originally denounced Rock (1) as Un American...sorry, Un - Christian...Satanic, Immoral and should be eschewed by all Godfearing families, saw very clearly how it had grabbed the kids and the young like nothing the Church could compete with. So they decided, if they couldn't beat it, they should join it. Or rather - as they do anything else - Hi Jack it and produce a cheap trashy counterfeit os such cynicism that the Chinese could only shake their heads in admiring envy.

Some deconverts say that Some Christian rock is pretty good. Don't ask me, I'm a Bruckner man but the vid I watched had an interesting line that Christianity (I do not know who is directing this policy) of getting Christian bands and singers to pick a particular popular singer or band and become "The Christian Mick Moaner" or "Christian Saggypants".
A lot of it was considered Dire, but then a lot of Pop and Rock is too, and only the best 10% is up to par - and the same is true of "Classical" music, too. So that there is a lot of Christian crap -music about is no shame to them. The point is not that it is Poor, but that it is trying to produce a watered -down version of rock and pop that would ...not so much bring the Rock -lovin' kids into Church... but trying not to drive them away with dismal doleful dirges.

And of course the young Christians, moaning through #There is a green Hill' and feeling like taking an aspirin overdose, might just get up with their out of tune accoustic guitar (2) and a mike with howling feedback and sing a pop or rock -song about "Lurve" but with "Jeezuz" instead of "Bay-bee".

And if you sat through that, sit back, pour another beer and enjoy the vid. If I can find it.

No...but this (by a Christian, not an unbeliever) is worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AE4_dHW0nWk

And I'd better leave it to you poppers and rockers as frankly this is not my music even if largely secular. I find it plastic, commercial, repetitive, lacking in variety, originaity and Soul. If it is selling a Christian message, I want to Puke.

(1) Soul-gospel not being the same problem as Blacks frankly brought their 'Pop' music into the church right from the start.

(2) amazing how often amateur accoustic rockers don't seem to have their instrument in tune.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-03-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's rather interesting......I watched a vid. exploring how US Christianity, while it originally denounced Rock (1) as Un American...sorry, Un - Christian...Satanic, Immoral and should be eschewed by all Godfearing families, saw very clearly how it had grabbed the kids and the young like nothing the Church could compete with. So they decided, if they couldn't beat it, they should join it. Or rather - as they do anything else - Hi Jack it and produce a cheap trashy counterfeit os such cynicism that the Chinese could only shake their heads in admiring envy.

Some deconverts say that Some Christian rock is pretty good. Don't ask me, I'm a Bruckner man but the vid I watched had an interesting line that Christianity (I do not know who is directing this policy) of getting Christian bands and singers to pick a particular popular singer or band and become "The Christian Mick Moaner" or "Christian Saggypants".
A lot of it was considered Dire, but then a lot of Pop and Rock is too, and only the best 10% is up to par - and the same is true of "Classical" music, too. So that there is a lot of Christian crap -music about is no shame to them. The point is not that it is Poor, but that it is trying to produce a watered -down version of rock and pop that would ...not so much bring the Rock -lovin' kids into Church... but trying not to drive them away with dismal doleful dirges.

And of course the young Christians, moaning through #There is a green Hill' and feeling like taking an aspirin overdose, might just get up with their out of tune accoustic guitar (2) and a mike with howling feedback and sing a pop or rock -song about "Lurve" but with "Jeezuz" instead of "Bay-bee".

And if you sat through that, sit back, pour another beer and enjoy the vid. If I can find it.

(1) Soul-gospel not being the same problem as Blacks frankly brought their 'Pop' music into the church right from the start.

(2) amazing how often amateur accoustic rockers don't seem to have their instrument in tune.
There is a video like that from a former Christian youth pastor turned atheist. It was called How Christianity Steals Everything, or something like that.

The charismatic churches were sort of "fringe" in the 1950s and producing this great spiritual music. Then the rock music it inspired was being watered down and repackaged for the more conservative American church kids by Christian artists by the late 1970s.

Nowadays the American evangelical churches are becoming a little more charismatic and crazy. And I actually think that's a good thing. America is still not as liberated as people in England and Europe in many ways. (British 1960's rock and roll bands had already repackaged and resold American R&B that American kids in the 1960's hadn't appreciated yet.)

Last edited by OzzyRules; 09-03-2018 at 07:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 07:33 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Rock and roll is the thing that really helped bring the races together in the 20th century in America. But the fact that conservative Christians, even today, have always had such a negative view of rock music, really bothers me. It makes me question everything about the core Christian faith. The charismatic/Pentecostal churches had an enormous influence on rock music, and they are another thing that has been always criticized by conservative Christians. But music had a tremendous influence on Civil Rights in the US.

Are you a conservative Christian? Do you support this kind of thinking? Do you think that early rock and roll was music of the Devil?
Fundamentalist opposition to the the burgeoning of rock and roll during the Civil Rights era was was simply coincidental. Fundamentalists are reactionaries. Of course they were going to despise rock and roll. The fact that they enjoyed both record-burning and cross-burning was merely who they were - opposed to both change and liberty for everyone except the white male establishment.

Also, Civil Rights were won by an extraordinary amount of blood, sweat and tears - not by guitar solos.

Old 09-03-2018, 07:34 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:
There is a video like that from a former Christian youth pastor turned atheist. It was called How Christianity Steals Everything, or something like that.

The charismatic churches were sort of "fringe" in the 1950s and producing this great spiritual music. Then the rock music it inspired was being watered down and repackaged for the more conservative American church kids by Christian artists by the late 1970s.

Nowadays the American evangelical churches are becoming a little more charismatic and crazy. And I actually think that's a good thing. America is still not as liberated as people in England and Europe in many ways. (British 1960's rock and roll bands had already repackaged and resold American R&B that American kids in the 1960's hadn't appreciated yet.)
Yea, like they co-opted Judaism and our Torah and claimed to be replacements of the Jews...

Old 09-03-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Yea, like they co-opted Judaism and our Torah and claimed to be replacements of the Jews...
Christians stole from both the Jews and the Roman Pagans. Then they tried to claim that it was always theirs.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:01 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,347,511 times
Quote:

I was present to witness the beginnings of rock and roll. So I believe that I know a thing or two about the subject. Is genuine rock music evil? Or, conversely, is Christian pop/rock holy? Is it even worth listening to?

Let's draw a direct comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbT1k5DYYds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NOZU2iPA8

Now, draw an informed conclusion.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:13 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:

Yes. That may be the vid. I watched. It mentioned a singer who eventually quit Christian music as she wanted to have her own identity and not be cast as the "Christian version of..." Maria Carey or some other singer

Old 09-03-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. That may be the vid. I watched. It mentioned a singer who eventually quit Christian music as she wanted to have her own identity and not be cast as the "Christian version of..." Maria Carey or some other singer
This is the vid I was thinking of. Seth Andrews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNik8niSrrY

Old 09-03-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I was present to witness the beginnings of rock and roll. So I believe that I know a thing or two about the subject. Is genuine rock music evil? Or, conversely, is Christian pop/rock holy? Is it even worth listening to?

Let's draw a direct comparison.

Now, draw an informed conclusion.
Nice.

But seriously, I think many people would find Jumpin Jack Flash to be the more uplifting song. It's message is very uplifting in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality