Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 03:29 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I read the account of Jesus. I read Isaiah 53. There is a similarity on how Jesus suffered with what Isaiah 53 wrote. Others have have seen it as well and wrote about or taught it. I got it by reading it. I heard it taught by others. So what? I fail to see what the big whoop about this is.
You really don't see the problem with this, do you?

You see a similarity with Isaiah 53 and Jesus. And everything you know about Jesus is from FOUR gospels written anonymously by writers 50-100 after Jesus' crucifixion so they didn't know Jesus or anyone close to Jesus. And you're willing to trust the word of men who don't even tell you who they are or where they got their information from to tell you intimate details that coincidentally just happen to sound roughly like Isaiah 53???? And the thought never occurs to you that nobody contemporary to Jesus who actually tell us their name i.e. Pliny of Alexandria wrote ANYTHING on the historic record saying, "Yes, I saw this man crucified and the day turned to night and there was thunder and tombs opening up and dead saints rising..." You don't look for anything that can actually verify all this, preferring instead to take the words of strangers who weren't even there????????

This is EXACTLY WHY the church pushes "salvation by faith alone"....because they haven't got a dime's worth of evidence to show us ANY of this is real and not just made up fluff to line their pockets with your money. Even a pope was savvy enough to know Christianity was nothing but a shake-down racket even as far back as 1500 when he said:

Quote:
What riches this fable of the Christ has brought us!
“What Profit has not that Fable of Christ Brought Us!” – Pope Leo X 1513 -1521
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 03:38 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,285,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Except that whole universe itself thing....

No religious person has ever provided proof that the universe is intentionally designed and created by a supernatural power. Ever. There is substantially more evidence that our creation is a product of trial and error, with some flaws creeping into the creation along the way that would not be intentionally done in an intelligent design, and that all life descends from a common beginning form of life.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:57 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
No religious person has ever provided proof that the universe is intentionally designed and created by a supernatural power. Ever. There is substantially more evidence that our creation is a product of trial and error, with some flaws creeping into the creation along the way that would not be intentionally done in an intelligent design, and that all life descends from a common beginning form of life.
Just give me the alternative.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Just give me the alternative.

Take a basic set of science courses. And I dont mean this sarcastically. The alternative is taught in schools and universities. Why post it all here when you can find it in any basic science course on the universe?

Old 09-06-2018, 04:34 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You really don't see the problem with this, do you?

You see a similarity with Isaiah 53 and Jesus. And everything you know about Jesus is from FOUR gospels written anonymously by writers 50-100 after Jesus' crucifixion so they didn't know Jesus or anyone close to Jesus. And you're willing to trust the word of men who don't even tell you who they are or where they got their information from to tell you intimate details that coincidentally just happen to sound roughly like Isaiah 53???? And the thought never occurs to you that nobody contemporary to Jesus who actually tell us their name i.e. Pliny of Alexandria wrote ANYTHING on the historic record saying, "Yes, I saw this man crucified and the day turned to night and there was thunder and tombs opening up and dead saints rising..." You don't look for anything that can actually verify all this, preferring instead to take the words of strangers who weren't even there????????

This is EXACTLY WHY the church pushes "salvation by faith alone"....because they haven't got a dime's worth of evidence to show us ANY of this is real and not just made up fluff to line their pockets with your money. Even a pope was savvy enough to know Christianity was nothing but a shake-down racket even as far back as 1500 when he said:

“What Profit has not that Fable of Christ Brought Us!” – Pope Leo X 1513 -1521
The difference is I have direct spiritual access to God - just like every other believer in Christ, which includes the various authors that wrote the Bible. So it's not that I believe in men on their own, but God through each believer.

Understand that you can't please God without faith. Understand that God spoke to me directly in my spirit, which the the basis of my belief. I can believe it or not. I do.

I'm not expecting it to make sense to you.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:47 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Take a basic set of science courses. And I dont mean this sarcastically. The alternative is taught in schools and universities. Why post it all here when you can find it in any basic science course on the universe?
Really. I have no problem with science.

It doesn't explain the origins of the universe. Sure...maybe it suggests the Big Bang...but what about before that? What caused it?

How did it all begin. Give me the explanation for it.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Really. I have no problem with science.

It doesn't explain the origins of the universe. Sure...maybe it suggests the Big Bang...but what about before that? What caused it?

How did it all begin. Give me the explanation for it.
Science is working towards answers on these . Some good work has been done for those who truly are interested in learning about it, some by Lawrence Krauss, for instance. The standard response though is "so they dont really know" , with the intent that we shoyuld just insert "God did it" into the slot. But we know things today we didnt know 50 yrs ago, 100 yrs ago, 500 yrs ago. A current lack of complete knowledge is no excuse to throw our hands up and proclaim "lets just say God did it". Science would have died a thousand years ago if we took that route.

And of course there is the equal problem of you having to explain where God came from, how was God created, who did the creating .

https://www.npr.org/2012/01/13/14517...e-from-nothing

Old 09-06-2018, 05:07 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
I invited Jesus Christ into my life at age 7.
No one was pushing me , I saw for my self the difference in lives changed and healing people received doctors were powerless to perform.
I saw the futility of putting off God and doing my own thing and struggling to live with out God . I spent a lot of time in the company of older folk that had tons of regrets having put off God in their lives .
In my home we enjoyed many interventions of Gods doing, no one else had a clue to our needs.
I had studied scripture along with many others, and did the bible school thing, and chose to seek God's tutelage.

I understand scriptures and the stories and teachings and the deeper meanings of events as well, via the Holy Spirit Jesus provides himself, not necessarily through other men. Although God can use other men to speak to me, they have no idea where I'm at. God does .
Does God directly guide your steps for your choosing His direction (not assuming) ?
I could teach others what God has taught me, but that is not His design , His agenda is to be your teacher that is why Jesus provided the Holy Spirit "to teach ,provide God's will " in His place".
People that falsely call Jesus Lord ,do so to impress men not God and he is not fooled Matthew 7;21,22,23,

There is a judgment for false teachers false representation of Jesus.
Jesus said, "Blessed are they that DO hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled."
The heart of a man needs to be honest and desperate for God's approval .

There are issues in scriptures that can only be understood after living in God's will, and not before.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The difference is I have direct spiritual access to God - just like every other believer in Christ, which includes the various authors that wrote the Bible. So it's not that I believe in men on their own, but God through each believer.

Understand that you can't please God without faith. Understand that God spoke to me directly in my spirit, which the the basis of my belief. I can believe it or not. I do.

I'm not expecting it to make sense to you.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:08 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I invited Jesus Christ into my life at age 7.
No one was pushing me , I saw for my self the difference in lives changed and healing people received doctors were powerless to perform.
I saw the futility of putting off God and doing my own thing and struggling to live with out God . I spent a lot of time in the company of older folk that had tons of regrets having put off God in their lives .
In my home we enjoyed many interventions of Gods doing, no one else had a clue to our needs.
I had studied scripture along with many others, and did the bible school thing, and chose to seek God's tutelage.

I understand scriptures and the stories and teachings and the deeper meanings of events as well, via the Holy Spirit Jesus provides himself, not necessarily through other men. Although God can use other men to speak to me, they have no idea where I'm at. God does .
Does God directly guide your steps for your choosing His direction (not assuming) ?
I could teach others what God has taught me, but that is not His design , His agenda is to be your teacher that is why Jesus provided the Holy Spirit "to teach ,provide God's will " in His place".
People that falsely call Jesus Lord ,do so to impress men not God and he is not fooled Matthew 7;21,22,23,

There is a judgment for false teachers false representation of Jesus.
Jesus said, "Blessed are they that DO hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled."
The heart of a man needs to be honest and desperate for God's approval .

There are issues in scriptures that can only be understood after living in God's will, and not before.
Quite a story, quite a story, Arleigh. There's only one problem with it: your god is extremely biased. He's not only biased he's an incredibly prejudicial and elitist jerk and he says so too.

Quote:
No one can come to me unless the Spirit draws them John 6:44
So your god cherry-picks who he wants to worship him and you happen to be one of the fortunate ones. Lucky you! But the unlucky 2/3's of humanity who are atheist or of different faiths he completely ignores and then has the nerve to say on Judgment day 'You didn't come to me. Your punishment is eternal torment in the fires of hell. Depart from me ye cursed into everlasting flames!" Yet when you say to him, "You never called me. I never heard your spirit call me" he'll say, "No excuses. Your fate is sealed forever."

It's no wonder millions of former Christians have turned their backs on Jesus and walked away from him. I suppose you're going to use the old standard line, "They were never saved in the first place." Of course it's a ridiculous excuse for the failure of your Holy Spirit to not only not be able to draw most of humanity but to actually lose a large percentage of the ones who did come to Jesus and then decided, "You know what? This religion is a joke and I want no part of it anymore."

Here's a scary statistic for Christians from the Pew Research group:

Quote:
The first answer young people gave for leaving the church was that they just don’t believe. Startlingly, 49% of those who call themselves religiously raised said a “lack of belief” led them to move away from religion. This response was echoed by 82% of atheists, 63% of agnostics, and 37% of those who believe “nothing in particular.”
https://answersingenesis.org/christi...-christianity/

Your god should be proud of the fine job he's doing saving the lost. Or in this case, "losing the saved."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality