Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 09:36 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Just curious - after the years of posting back and forth - are you saying I am devoid of intelligence and common sense?

Not completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 09:44 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Just curious - after the years of posting back and forth - are you saying I am devoid of intelligence and common sense?
To be honest, one would think the perfect example of lacking intelligence is continued bigoted commentary on message boards attacking a religion and its adherents. I can only conclude that such a person would have a severely lacking intelligence.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:51 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Non-Christians have historic evidence showing that Christianity was a gradual movement away from Mosaic Judaism after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD. Jesus doesn't come along according to the historic record until fragments of the gospels start appearing in the late 2nd century. The earliest fragment P52 dated to a mean 150 CE doesn't even mention Jesus:

Quote:
the Jews, "For us
anyone," so that the w
oke signifying
die. En
rium P
and sai
Jews?"
There's absolutely NOTHING earlier in the historic record than 150 CE and NOTHING AT ALL in the non-Biblical record that demonstrates the existence of a Jesus Christ or 12 apostles other than Josephus saying "James, brother of Jesus who was called the Christ" in 95 CE or so and even this may have been tampered with by Eusebius in the 4th century.

No fragments of the New Testament appear any earlier than 150 CE so it's anyone's guess when they were written.

And it is upon this flimsiest "evidence" the whole structure of the Christian enterprise arises. This is why BaptistFundie, DRob, Omega et. al. ALL stress "It is by faith alone you are justified" -- simply because they have NOTHING except blind faith to offer prospective Christians, whereas non-Christians have the non-evidence to prove Christianity had no savior name until the Council of Nicaea when Constantine melded the Druid god "Hesus" with the Hindu god Krishna, or "Krista" (Krishna) to form "Hesus Krist" as the official god of his empire. Who was the subject god of the fragment. It's anybody's guess. Hercules or Mithra for all we know.

Constantine above all wanted peace in his empire and by establishing an official god that he commanded to be worshiped under penalty of death he achieved this.

This is Christianity's beginning of their "Reign of Terror" destroying all manuscripts contrary to their thinking, burning vast libraries of the world's greatest literature, and murdering 100's of thousands of what they called "infidels" who refused to believe as they did. All this eventually brought the Roman Empire down in the 6th century and brought in the Dark Ages.

Quite a legacy for the Christians.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 09-14-2018 at 09:59 AM..

Old 09-14-2018, 10:02 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times
Quote:
My view is presumption. Your view is evidence. Got it.
Clearly you have not. The story in the gospels recording what Jesus said to God in Gethsemane was a private conversation that the authors could not have known about. This is evidence that that part of the story is fiction. It is part of how historians determine genre. And if that part is fiction, why not the alleged prophecies?

Quote:
The truth is none of it is about evidence - but about what we both want to believe.
You have a strange definition of the word 'truth'. For me, this IS about the evidence. For you, it is pretending we do not have evidence.

Quote:
I admit that my faith is in God and what's written in the Scripture.

You pretend as though you have evidence, but you don't - being that neither one of was around when these things happened, and you are putting your faith in the opinions of others.
No, I am putting my faith is techniques I understand AND in work I have done myself. You would even agree with that evidence if it was done on any text other than the Bible.

The fact you need to pretend otherwise is your problem.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:05 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not completely.
You know what - I'm OK with that answer.

Part of using intelligence and common sense means that I understand when things occur that are contrary to common sense.

It is contrary to common sense to believe in a Man who died and came back to life thousands of years ago.

It is contrary to common sense to believe that the Red Sea parted... or that there was a worldwide flood.

It is contrary to common sense that we will live eternally beyond this life and our existence depends on what we believe and do on earth.

I get it.

But God testifies to these events to my inner conscience regularly. That's what I believe - even though it flies in the face of common sense.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
To be honest, one would think the perfect example of lacking intelligence is continued bigoted commentary on message boards attacking a religion and its adherents. I can only conclude that such a person would have a severely lacking intelligence.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
You know what - I'm OK with that answer.

Part of using intelligence and common sense means that I understand when things occur that are contrary to common sense.

It is contrary to common sense to believe in a Man who died and came back to life thousands of years ago.

It is contrary to common sense to believe that the Red Sea parted... or that there was a worldwide flood.

It is contrary to common sense that we will live eternally beyond this life and our existence depends on what we believe and do on earth.

I get it.

But God testifies to these events to my inner conscience regularly. That's what I believe - even though it flies in the face of common sense.

I understand. You believe in fairy tales because they bring you comfort. You have a lot of company. That must also be comforting.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I understand. You believe in fairy tales because they bring you comfort. You have a lot of company. That must also be comforting.
No.... not entirely comforting. It's not a matter of comfort for me.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:03 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:

Nonsense . You well know that most of the attacks are made against ridiculous beliefs like talking animals, impossible things like the Sun standing still in the sky and the Earth ceasing to spin, and things that scientific evidence refutes like a worldwide flood that killed everyone but a few people and what animals got on the ship, and the Earth being a few thousand years old . Or attacks on televangelists scamming the poor and elderly or priests buggering young boys . It can hardly be considered as lacking intelligence to oppose these and other silly concepts .

You are getting in the habit of making ridiculous statements that are way more applicable to theists than non theists in your posts , and you look silly expecting others to believe hem .

Old 09-14-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
The end of 1 Corinthians 1 deals with that issue and the wisdom of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality