Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2018, 11:23 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You know what - I'm OK with that answer.

Part of using intelligence and common sense means that I understand when things occur that are contrary to common sense.

It is contrary to common sense to believe in a Man who died and came back to life thousands of years ago.

It is contrary to common sense to believe that the Red Sea parted... or that there was a worldwide flood.

It is contrary to common sense that we will live eternally beyond this life and our existence depends on what we believe and do on earth.

I get it.

But God testifies to these events to my inner conscience regularly. That's what I believe - even though it flies in the face of common sense.
Right there you are telling us that this feeling some Christians get is purely subjective--it depends on the psychological makeup of the individual as to whether they will experience their god testifying to them regularly while other Christians simply will not feel any god testifying to them and so they leave Christianity. Then they check out Buddhism and the Buddha testifies to their hearts and they become Buddhist.

If God testifies to your heart on a regular basis and it comforts you, Rob I'm all for it. I'm for anything that helps us get through this wretched life without losing one's mind--whether it's Jesus or gin, though Jesus is less hard on the liver than gin. If Jesus does it for you, great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 11:30 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Right there you are telling us that this feeling some Christians get is purely subjective--it depends on the psychological makeup of the individual as to whether they will experience their god testifying to them regularly while other Christians simply will not feel any god testifying to them and so they leave Christianity. Then they check out Buddhism and the Buddha testifies to their hearts and they become Buddhist.

If God testifies to your heart on a regular basis and it comforts you, Rob I'm all for it. I'm for anything that helps us get through this wretched life without losing one's mind--whether it's Jesus or gin, though Jesus is less hard on the liver than gin. If Jesus does it for you, great.
It's not subjective or dependent upon psychology. You hear from God, or you don't.

And it's about eternity - not just this life.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:34 PM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
To be honest, one would think the perfect example of lacking intelligence is continued bigoted commentary on message boards attacking a religion and its adherents. I can only conclude that such a person would have a severely lacking intelligence.
From someone who constanly posits faith -claims as evidence, will not listen to arguments, dismisses evidence as Bias, resorts to finger -pointing at the drop of a hat and cannot even follow their own arguments, you have no credibility here.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:42 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
From someone who constanly posits faith -claims as evidence, will not listen to arguments, dismisses evidence as Bias, resorts to finger -pointing at the drop of a hat and cannot even follow their own arguments, you have no credibility here.
I'm not the one who consistently posts bigoted statements mocking and bad-mouthing all religion. I'm sorry if you don't accept the arguments that I make.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
I'm not the one who consistently posts bigoted statements mocking and bad-mouthing all religion. I'm sorry if you don't accept the arguments that I make.

You don't make arguments. You attack, accuse, assert and run away. You're not fooling anyone anymore.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:33 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
It's not subjective or dependent upon psychology. You hear from God, or you don't.

Well, Rob if this is really an objective experience with God actively participating then God obviously plays favorites, as evidenced by the fact that millions of Christians leave Christianity every year. Now why isn't God speaking to their hearts? You can legitimately argue a few were never right with God in the first place but this excuse doesn't wash when we're talking about millions who leave Christianity, including long-time pastors who burn out and commit suicide. Where was Paul's promise for them:

Quote:
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
The buck stops with the boss, Rob--even God.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Wrong - I'd argue. it's about this life, and eternity can worry about itself. And it is subjective and dependent upon psychology - you hear from what is very evidently, your own brain, your own likes and dislikes, opinions and values.

This "God" changes His mind whenever you do.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:52 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Well, Rob if this is really an objective experience with God actively participating then God obviously plays favorites, as evidenced by the fact that millions of Christians leave Christianity every year. Now why isn't God speaking to their hearts? You can legitimately argue a few were never right with God in the first place but this excuse doesn't wash when we're talking about millions who leave Christianity, including long-time pastors who burn out and commit suicide. Where was Paul's promise for them:

The buck stops with the boss, Rob--even God.
In the Bible, it states He calls certain people. It's not because I am better or worse than anyone else.

The evidence that He has called a person is that the people spiritually hear Him and respond with faith in Him and His Son Jesus Christ.

God is constantly speaking - through the Bible... through other people... - He will hook up your spiritual antenna to hear Him, and you will know when you hear Him, and you will believe Him.

There are some who have heard God and walk away. He is still there with them.

There are some who say they have heard God, but never have.

God knows who He has called, and will deal with each person accordingly.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
You don't make any - you just post faith -claims and damn anyone who questions them.

Quote:
In the Bible, it states He calls certain people. It's not because I am better or worse than anyone else.

The evidence that He has called a person is that the people spiritually hear Him and respond with faith in Him and His Son Jesus Christ.

God is constantly speaking - through the Bible... through other people... - He will hook up your spiritual antenna to hear Him, and you will know when you hear Him, and you will believe Him.

There are some who have heard God and walk away. He is still there with them.

There are some who say they have heard God, but never have.

God knows who He has called, and will deal with each person accordingly.
This just looks like being able to explain everything so that God wins - or rather, you do. If the get sucked into religionm God has called the, If they don't they 'refuse to listen'. If there is no sign of God there, he is, nevertheless, if one thinks and believes that he is there and he doesn't seem to be - 'testing yours faith' is always a good one.

There is always an excuse. But they have worn very thin. Especially the you can bet on it thinly veiled hellthreat.

One of my favourite fantasies...(aside the one involving 8 Vietnamense air Stewardesses) ...is that Hellthreat can result in a lawsuit, a hefty fine and six months in jail, with a plastic Martyr's crown when you get out.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-14-2018 at 04:09 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
That you find that acceptable and worship-worthy says more about you than it does about God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality