Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2018, 10:51 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Fundies mostly have faith that Other People will go to hell.

Or maybe it's more of a fervent hope.
Fervent hope, I'm betting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 11:17 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
And it never dawned on you or Christians in general that this policy of "God wants only faith" was put in place 1800 years ago by men who, when asked to produce just a little evidence that all the stories circulating about Jesus were true, couldn't produce any and so their only default position was to say, "You don't need evidence, only faith."

So at the end of the day you have faith in Jesus without evidence and I cannot believe in Jesus because there is no evidence. Where does that leave us, except for me to believe you're a naive fool and for you to believe I'm destined for hell--all based on faith for you and lack of any such belief in such for me because there isn't a shred of evidence to support it?
I don't think I will ever understand Christians thinking that 'faith' is such a wonderful thing and should be applauded. when in fact, believing something is true when there is no evidence that it is true and even when there is verifiable evidence that it isn't true, is the most idiotic thing imaginable and, ironically, something that they would never, ever do with any other thing other than their god-belief.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:04 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
You guys think evidence and proof rules the day, when it really doesn't.

There were people who looked Jesus in the face, who heard His words, and who were healed by His power that did not believe in Him. You can't have more evidence that direct one on one contact, and it wasn't enough for many. Despite the fact that Jesus lived among them, they killed Him. Jesus did about three years of ministry - He died publicly and rose to life physically, and He ended up with around 120 true followers. That means most of the people rejected Him even though He was right there among them.

It's really about what YOU want to believe, and who YOU want to believe in - and more importantly, to whom GOD wants to reveal Himself.

So you guys aren't really fooling me with your call for proof... it's just the excuse for today.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I noticed that you didn't specify what I said to do.
It doesn’t matter...If it is by faith alone and it is G-d who grants repentance and it is G-d who regenerates your spirit unto belief and faith as it is laid out in your NT, then it is not something YOU do but what G-d does, but you say it is YOU who must exercise faith, which is contrary to what your NT states...

Old 09-16-2018, 06:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I think I may start whimpering.
Yup, double pre-destination...

Old 09-16-2018, 06:23 AM

16,785 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
You guys think evidence and proof rules the day, when it really doesn't.
Except we ALL use evidence every day, including yourself. Only where Christianity is involved do you either ignore the evidence, or refuse to look for evidence to see if your beliefs are credible.

Quote:
There were people who looked Jesus in the face, who heard His words, and who were healed by His power that did not believe in Him. You can't have more evidence that direct one on one contact, and it wasn't enough for many. Despite the fact that Jesus lived among them, they killed Him. Jesus did about three years of ministry - He died publicly and rose to life physically, and He ended up with around 120 true followers. That means most of the people rejected Him even though He was right there among them.
According to the Christian accounts that by all the evidence are fiction.

Quote:
It's really about what YOU want to believe, and who YOU want to believe in - and more importantly, to whom GOD wants to reveal Himself.
No, for you it is about what you want to believe. For us, it is about where the evidence takes us.

And do you realize that you have just admitted we are atheists because your god allegedly has made us so by not revealing himself to us? No, I do not think you do realize this, or the moral implications.

Quote:
So you guys aren't really fooling me with your call for proof... it's just the excuse for today.
Your excuse for the day has been noted and filed in the paper basket.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:43 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
I don't think I will ever understand Christians thinking that 'faith' is such a wonderful thing and should be applauded. when in fact, believing something is true when there is no evidence that it is true and even when there is verifiable evidence that it isn't true, is the most idiotic thing imaginable and, ironically, something that they would never, ever do with any other thing other than their god-belief.
Cool, where can I find this verifiable evidence that there is no God?

Then I need to ask the question, is evidence considered to be proof, beyond the shadow of any doubt?

As for the topic, if it isn't in the New Testament whatever it is is not a teaching from Jesus, or an interpretation of his teachings by one of his followers.

Isaiah was an Old Testament/Torah prophet. Aside from the history laid down by the Old Testament, and the 10 Commandments, Christians do not use the Old Testament for anything but a reference source.

Whether or not Isaiah predicted the coming of a messiah or not is irrelevant. Jesus Christ IS the messiah for Christians, just as much as Rabbi Schnerson IS the messiah for Lubavitchers.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:00 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Cool, where can I find this verifiable evidence that there is no God?
I mean the beliefs in general...like Noah's flood and a dozen other daft stories in the OT or the NT.

Quote:
Then I need to ask the question, is evidence considered to be proof, beyond the shadow of any doubt?
Verifiable evidence can be. I mean, the verifiable evidence proves that if you fall out of a plane at 30,000ft, you will die.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:29 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,267,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Jesus Christ IS the messiah for Christians, just as much as Rabbi Schnerson IS the messiah for Lubavitchers.
whoa there...while there is a subgroup of Lubavitchers who might (in some sense of a definition) think of the Rebbe as the messiah, that isn't a defining feature of the Lubavitch movement. Christianity as a movement is defined by its viewing of Jesus as messiah.

Old 09-16-2018, 07:39 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,084,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
whoa there...while there is a subgroup of Lubavitchers who might (in some sense of a definition) think of the Rebbe as the messiah, that isn't a defining feature of the Lubavitch movement. Christianity as a movement is defined by its viewing of Jesus as messiah.
Feel free to assert your authority on my statement as you wish. Please note, it doesn't make the original statement any less accurate. If you feel you have expanded on it, or clarified it in some way...okay.

Rabbi Schnerson IS an example of one revered as a Messiah/Moishach whose faith is unequivocally based in the Old Testament/Torah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality