Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 11:45 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I responded to your OP and actually agreed in part, and you came back with your insulting post telling me that I'm basically brainwashed by people you made up in your head. Check yourself before you get on my case.

Now see - you need to go back and read what you asked me - because you said nothing about extra-biblical. Either you are trying to pull a fast one, or it's just sloppiness on your part.

Just understand that the direct sources vary, but any knowledge of God and His Son comes ultimately from Him.
Oh, this is pure foolishness DRob and you know it. I expected better from you because intelligence-wise I've always assumed you were a bit above BaptistFundie and Omega. Looks like I was wrong judging from you last two responses. I've always qualified any request for historic proof as "anything outside the Bible". The Bible isn't worth a damn for proving anything historical about Jesus and you know this. You're just not willing to admit it. The gospels are propaganda written to persuade pagans to join Christianity. That was their function for being written and refined. That's why Jesus is not presented as God in Mark but presented as God in John 50 years later. It's called "evolution of a story".

So if you're telling me that you have nothing outside the New Testament then you knew this when you made the statement that you did. That makes YOU dishonest. And you're the one who insulted first, calling me a "genius". Hypocrite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 12:06 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Oh, this is pure foolishness DRob and you know it. I expected better from you because intelligence-wise I've always assumed you were a bit above BaptistFundie and Omega. Looks like I was wrong judging from you last two responses. I've always qualified any request for historic proof as "anything outside the Bible". The Bible isn't worth a damn for proving anything historical about Jesus and you know this. You're just not willing to admit it. The gospels are propaganda written to persuade pagans to join Christianity. That was their function for being written and refined. That's why Jesus is not presented as God in Mark but presented as God in John 50 years later. It's called "evolution of a story".

So if you're telling me that you have nothing outside the New Testament then you knew this when you made the statement that you did. That makes YOU dishonest. And you're the one who insulted first, calling me a "genius". Hypocrite!
I purposely called you genius - since you seemed to know how I learned everything and wash brainwashed from the womb. Do I need to quote your post?

Just treat others like you want to be treated.

----------------------

Here is the question you asked.

Quote:
1. who outside the gospels recorded a single details of his actual life--the miracles, the sermon on the mount, Judas' betrayal, the ride into Jerusalem--everything--where does a single detail of any of this appear outside the gospels which were written by anonymous writers 50-100 after Jesus and not even associated with Jesus?
That was a specific question - which I answered. Jesus spoke in Acts and Revelation.

Please do not call me dishonest because you failed to recall what you asked me.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:14 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
I purposely called you genius - since you seemed to know how I learned everything and wash brainwashed from the womb. Do I need to quote your post?

Just treat others like you want to be treated.

----------------------

Here is the question you asked.

That was a specific question - which I answered. Jesus spoke in Acts and Revelation.

Please do not call me dishonest because you failed to recall what you asked me.
DRob, you're simply not being honest here. Here is the exchange where I first asked you to name someone

Jesus was recorded speaking to others beyond the gospels, genius.

thrillobyte:
"And who in the historic record can you name that Jesus spoke to? If you could name even ONE credible extra-Biblical person who recorded his conversation with Jesus you could turn the world's belief system around, DRob. So do it."

That word, extra-Biblical means "outside the Bible". From the very beginning I let you know I was expecting someone historically credible apart from the Bible. I'm well-aware of Revelation. NO SCHOLAR who's non-fundamentalist actually believes that conversation took place between John and Jesus. Quite simply, you balked because you realized you had nobody extra-Biblical. And in fact there IS nobody extra-Biblical, so don't even bother trying to answer.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
They are the same thing. He is Messiah to the Jew and the Gentile. And no, this is not to antagonize, nor have I insulted you. You can come to him and receive salvation.
Salvation from what?...

Old 09-06-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
lol How do I know the Bible is not inspired by God???????

Friend, I've got over 4,000 excellent reasons for knowing the Bible is not inspired by God. Does God make mistakes? Well, check out a few of his boners:

1. How many children did Saul's daughter Michal have? Was it 5 as in (2 Sam. 21:8) or was it no children as in (2 Sam. 6:23)….can’t be both! A grade school kid knows the difference here, but an adult Christian who calls himself omega2 doesn't!

(2 Sam. 6:23) "Michal the daughter of Saul, had no child unto the day of her death."

(2 Sam. 21:8) "The five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul
Shmuel II - II Samuel - Chapter 6

23 And Michal the daughter of Saul had no child until the day of her death.

Rashi:

had no child: from that day on.

Shmuel II - II Samuel - Chapter 21

8 And the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Ayah, whom she bore to Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she bore to Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite.

Rashi:

the five sons of Michal: Now did Michal bear them? Did not Merab hear them? We conclude that Merab bore them but Michal raised them and they therefore were called after her name; for one who raises an orphan in his house is as if he had begotten them and he is called after his name

Old 09-06-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Judges 1:19 "And the Lord was with Judah; and he drove out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron.
19 And the Lord was with Judah, and they drove out the inhabitants of the mountains; but they could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, for they had iron chariots.

Rashi:

but they could not drive out: Targum Jonathan paraphrases: But after they had sinned, they were unable to drive out the inhabitants of the plain.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:37 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:

Just understand that the direct sources vary, but any knowledge of God and His Son comes ultimately from Him.

Not what the topic you brought up is and you know it. Thrill said simply that peoples beliefs on things like the OP come from being taught to believe them. You responded sarcastically asking how he had the god like ability to know this. You've since been asked twice to explain how you would know about your beliefs, including the OP topic, without being taught them, and you have failed badly twice.

Perhaps you should give your posts more thought before hitting submit.

Last edited by wallflash; 09-06-2018 at 05:09 AM..

Old 09-06-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Not what the topic you brought up is and you know it. Thrill said simply that peoples beliefs on things like the OP come from being taught to believe them. You responded sarcastically asking how he had the god like ability to know this. You've since been asked twice to explain how you would know about your beliefs, including the OP topic, without being taught them, and you have failed badly twice.

Perhaps you should give your posts more thought before hitting submit.
1- Direct communication w/ God
2- Other people
3- Bible
4- Circumstnaces

Old 09-06-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
DRob, you're simply not being honest here. Here is the exchange where I first asked you to name someone

thrillobyte:
"And who in the historic record can you name that Jesus spoke to? If you could name even ONE credible extra-Biblical person who recorded his conversation with Jesus you could turn the world's belief system around, DRob. So do it."

That word, extra-Biblical means "outside the Bible". From the very beginning I let you know I was expecting someone historically credible apart from the Bible. I'm well-aware of Revelation. NO SCHOLAR who's non-fundamentalist actually believes that conversation took place between John and Jesus. Quite simply, you balked because you realized you had nobody extra-Biblical. And in fact there IS nobody extra-Biblical, so don't even bother trying to answer.
You probably caught yourself when I first called you on your initial question - and you changed it. It's all on the prior pages - so you can say what you want... the proof contradicts your claim.

Seriously - please be up front and respectful with your comments and questions and you will have no problem with me.

There is nothing outside of the Bible reflecting any conversations with Christ. That's nothing new.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:06 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:

thrillobyte:

You can't expect fundies to be honest, thrill. If they were honest, they wouldn't be fundies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality