Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
What do you mean by that?

I think I have a fair idea why people did (and still do?) those things. I don't have the ability to express my thoughts so I won't attempt to go there.
I think modern science has rejected certain things dogmatically, without trying to understand them. Certain ideas have occurred in many different cultures -- such as magic words and magic potions.

Homeopathic medicine is based on the idea that water can contain information. Modern science rejected homeopathy, because it rejects anything connected with magic.

There are a lot of strange things that people everywhere have been aware of, but our modern science rejects them and refuses to study them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 12:43 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
In my experience, and from the Bible, I find that my heart, as everyone else's heart, is deceitfully wicked.
Just WOW The only thing wicked is this type of thinking. I wonder if many of the males of our species are just wired to think like this? It makes sense if you look at the stats of men v.s women in prisons all over the planet.

It's clear who's more wicked. Need more evidence...study history.

I am so thankful I am not deluded by wicked thoughts of rubber stamping every human on this earth as having a wicked heart. Perhaps you can't help your wicked heart in thinking this way? *shrug/

Old 10-16-2018, 01:19 AM

16,758 posts, read 4,968,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I think modern science has rejected certain things dogmatically, without trying to understand them. Certain ideas have occurred in many different cultures -- such as magic words and magic potions.

Homeopathic medicine is based on the idea that water can contain information. Modern science rejected homeopathy, because it rejects anything connected with magic.

There are a lot of strange things that people everywhere have been aware of, but our modern science rejects them and refuses to study them.
No, science rejects homeopathy because 1) the claims for it have no statistically sound evidence, and 2) if homeopathy was true, every time you drank tap water, you would poison yourself.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:24 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No, science rejects homeopathy because 1) the claims for it have no statistically sound evidence, and 2) if homeopathy was true, every time you drank tap water, you would poison yourself.
I get what you're saying, Harry, of course.
I don't know about scientific proof...all I know is people swear by homeopathy...I have tried some as a cold was just beginning and it worked...and it wasn't "belief"...it worked in spite of my doubts !
Magnets placed professionally on my kidney meridian was the ONLY thing that fixed me one terrible 2 weeks of seeing docs....
and the entire time I was thinking it was nuts!
I have no idea why these things can be SO powerful ! Sometimes one person's logic is different than another's.
But, we went off topic for a minute, oh well.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
I have to admit I was not 100% sure what exactly is homeopathy. So I looked it up and found that according to NIH it's a medical system that was developed in Germany more than 200 years ago.

It’s based on two unconventional theories:
  • “Like cures like”—the notion that a disease can be cured by a substance that produces similar symptoms in healthy people
  • “Law of minimum dose”—the notion that the lower the dose of the medication, the greater its effectiveness. Many homeopathic products are so diluted that no molecules of the original substance remain.

Homeopathy

After reading through the NIH website it sounds like homeopathy works more like a placebo.

Old 10-16-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I don't know about scientific proof...all I know is people swear by homeopathy...I have tried some as a cold was just beginning and it worked...and it wasn't "belief"...it worked in spite of my doubts !
Magnets placed professionally on my kidney meridian was the ONLY thing that fixed me one terrible 2 weeks of seeing docs....
I have no idea why these things can be SO powerful ! Sometimes one person's logic is different than another's.
I don't think magnet therapy is considered homeopathic. Homeopathy involves diluted solutions from what I've read.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
All forms of energy medicine have been rejected by modern science. Not for scientific reasons. They just don't believe energy healing is possible. But of course it is.

Some scientists have tried to study water memory, but there is tremendous political opposition.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I don't think magnet therapy is considered homeopathic. Homeopathy involves diluted solutions from what I've read.
Homeopathy is related to ancient magical practices. Modern science hates anything that resembles ancient magic, so they reject it.

But there are probably reasons that similar magical beliefs have been found in every human society ever studied.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Homeopathy is related to ancient magical practices.
I'm wondering if you guys are mixing up homeopathy for holistic? Holistic Medicine and Homeopathy are vague, confusing medical terms that are often used interchangeably. But in reality, they are related, but distinctly different modalities.

The Wicki link I posted said homeopathy was invented in Germany 200 years ago.
Quote:
Modern science hates anything that resembles ancient magic, so they reject it.
I don't think modern science "hates" anything. However science deals with the natural world and of course many things that occur naturally in this world may seem like magic to some.
Quote:
But there are probably reasons that similar magical beliefs have been found in every human society ever studied.
Mostly those magical beliefs stem from ancient people not understanding the natural world.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:32 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
Quote:
In my experience, and from the Bible, I find that my heart, as everyone else's heart, is deceitfully wicked.
Of course you would. Because most people in this country are Christian and I've found that the most deceitfully wicked people are often the ones screaming Jesus' name the loudest.

Those who thump the Bible, wearing a cross around their necks, dropping the name of Jesus every couple of sentences, who attend church 3 or 4 times a week, and *claim* to be oh so moral ... are the least moral among us. It's as if their hypocritical attachment to Christianity is overcompensation for their disgustingly cruel and hateful worldview.

And hence, for those who spend their time around the fundamentalists, the evangelicals, the southern Baptists, oh yeah ... of course they're deceitfully wicked. And yet it is we atheists who are pointed at while being condemned for having no moral compass. It's enough to make a sane person mad, to make a happy person weep, to make a calm person roil with unbridled rage.

If this country were as "Christian" as it claims to be, then we should be living in as close to a utopian setting as we humans can achieve. Instead -- we have just the opposite, a dysfunctional, tribal, superstitious population that lives in utter fear of their own shadows. And they have an amazingly keen fear of anything that resembles the truth.

So while the rest of the world builds amazing machines of science -- like the Hadron Collider -- we in America build creation museums designed to lie to the people, to revert our progress back a thousand years so that we remain ignorant and stupid.

I don't even like traveling abroad anymore. Being an American is an embarrassment. Religion plays a decisive role in how the rest of the world sees us - and while most other nations have a 80% to 90% evolution-believing population, Americans still cling to the idea of talking snakes, a ridiculous forbidden fruit, and humanity being created via an old Hebrew golem spell that breathes life into inanimate objects -- like a pile of dirt and a rib.

Quite sad, really. Who'd have ever thought that blatant ignorance -- and pride at being ignorant -- would bring the most technologically advanced nation to its knees.

Deceitfully wicked, indeed.

Quote:
What I think is irrelevant. God gave us his word. HE said he wanted sacrifices.
Yes, what you think is irrelevant. Just blindly, ignorantly, stupidly follow your god no matter where he leads you. Thus, if your petty little deity wants to smell burning flesh, why, we must give it to him. Never mind that he's all powerful ... what kind of all-powerful being would need puny humans to burn flesh for him so he can sit there like a fat slug smelling death like a goth kid in a death cult?

But thinking is strictly prohibited, isn't it. Do as your told. Follow orders. Do not question. Do not doubt. Do not disagree.

And when you cease being your own moral agent, you cease being moral at all. Instead, you merely become one who does as he is told, a conformist of the highest order, who behaves morally only because his god just happens not to be handing out immoral orders for the time being.

Yet, if your god said to kill every Canadian, every child, wipe out the entire continent of Africa, well, by god, HE wants it done! Is it moral? Of course not ... because god is so arrogant and vainglorious that he can't even follow his own moral code.

It is natural to see deceitful wickedness in the hearts of others when the heart of your god is as black as coal, filled with murder and hate for his own creation. For every verse that speaks of your god helping someone, I could find a hundred that has him murdering someone. When you follow an evil god, you see evil everywhere.

And make no mistake. The god you worship is as evil as any being could ever get. Not that you'll listen to me, of course. Because ignorance is bliss.

Quote:
Of course, he later on said when the Israelites started to worship the process instead of the God they were to honor, he preferred faith, not ritual. It's about WHY we do what we do.
No, it's about placating the egos of petty deities that people make up out of whole cloth. Humanity has wasted countless centuries scurrying around at the make-believe commands of make-believe gods, inventing silly rituals and building massive temples -- and what has any of that done? Is the world a better place? Was god ever pleased?

Of course not.

Whether we sit on our asses ... or build cathedrals that touch the sky; whether we believe in god or not; whether we wave our incense and chant meaningless words ... or not, the universe will continue on as it always has and not one thing ..

Not

One

Thing

.. will change. Because that's what happens when an entire species wastes its life worrying about the next one, a worldview that has sparked unspeakable cruelty and atrocity since this life is only temporary. The suffering you endure, the suffering you *inflict* matters not, because "this too shall pass."

Just one more reason why you see deceitful wickedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality