Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 09:26 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
OMG! Shall we burn her at the stake?
Nothing in my post said one party is better than the other. I was showing that there is a very strong correlation between certain spiritual and political beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 09:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Nothing in my post said one party is better than the other.
I was showing that there is a very strong correlation between certain spiritual and political beliefs.
That's a load off,

Shirina...now rem.... God didn't do any such thing as command destructions and
murders....the Bible says that.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:36 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:
Nothing in my post said one party is better than the other. I was showing that there is a very strong correlation between certain spiritual and political beliefs.
Oh, okay then.

My apologies for my previous post.

The political climate is so toxic right now that I tend to get out my claws the moment someone even mentions "liberal Democrat" because it's usually followed by a litany of stupid insults.

Again, my humble apologies.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:37 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times
Miss Hepburn, would you describe your political beliefs as liberal? I'm trying to see if the correlation I noticed is correct, at least in this one case.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:44 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I do not.
I can not even imagine a Being of such love and magnificence wanting
a goat sacrificed on this teeny, far off planet hidden amongst billions and billions of planets,
amongst billions of solar systems ...(What kind of sacrifice was it anyway?
People came to the market to buy animals just to sacrifice! Where's the sacrifice? Did they then eat the sacrifice or toss it? )
Another man-made concept?
Discuss...
Convince me that God needed a blood sacrifice...why would you personally think this...understanding that a verse from the Bible would convince no one.
Why do YOU think a magnificent, brilliant Spirit, unseen, maintaining billions of solar systems would need a goat killed - or a human. What sense does it even make?

And this is not to say I don't love and follow Jesus and His Father God.
I am not an atheist, by any means.

But this belief in blood letting to appease God is pretty 'out there'! Come on...
God doesn't "need" anything or anyone. Everything He seeks from mankind is for OUR benefit, not His (ie; prayer, laws, etc). (Of course, the question, "Who is man and why are you so mindful of him" has stumped people from the beginning). The OT blood sacrifice set the stage so that mankind would gradually come to understand the seriousness of sin ("sin," another discussion) and the absolute significance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on their behalf.

An inborn knowledge of God's existence, Inspired Scripture and ultimately, His Holy Spirit are how God has perfectly chosen to convey His ways, truths, plans, purpose and promises to mankind down through the ages. How else would people 1000's of years later know about these things or even about God and Jesus Christ ?

You spirituality and search for truth in this and many threads is quite evident. However, you are cutting yourself off from truth for which you cannot define or control the evidence. The answers are there waiting for you.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Miss Hepburn, would you describe your political beliefs as liberal? I'm trying to see if the correlation I noticed is correct, at least in this one case.
No....
Do I want a Supreme Court Justice on the bench that has little diplomacy nor idea how to impress the committee of his
anger and frustration without acting like an impudent, scowling 7th grader? No, sir.
That's as much as u will get out of me.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
God doesn't "need" anything or anyone. Everything He seeks from mankind is for OUR benefit, not His (ie; prayer, laws, etc).
(Of course, the question, "Who is man and why are you so mindful of him" has stumped people from the beginning).

Darn it, I like you, jg...but I so disagree.
Lemme start with...oh yeah, He needs us or He wouldn't have bothered creating us. I know this because I got it from
the perverbial horse's mouth...not from some idea I came up with or any words I read anywhere.
Mystic and I have spoken on this, a tad. I like ya both.
I know exactly why God is so mindful of Man.
But, it's for each to discover himself....or hang onto a concept or keep it as some mystery.

Oh , I'm not searching...and certainly not in threads, my gosh!
I will always be gaining knowledge...that's not searching...it's an enthusiasm for growth and learning and becoming more aware....forever!

Btw, I lived in Fl for yrs....and KCMO will always be my fave city i lived in...not NY , not Boston or many others.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 10-18-2018 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: plug for KCMO

Old 10-18-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
God doesn't "need" anything or anyone. Everything He seeks from mankind is for OUR benefit, not His (ie; prayer, laws, etc).
Completely untrue.

Everything is about God, for God, by God, for his own sake. Our very existence, if one reads the Bible, was manifested to do nothing but serve God.

Period.

Even Heaven itself is nothing but an eternity of servitude.

God hates humanity. And even if, by some miracle, anyone could convince me that God loves humanity, it would be a hollow, empty love ... love without respect, the way humans might love inanimate objects.

Put God first, the Bible says -- not each other. If God cared a whit about humanity, God would have ordered that we put each other first. Not himself. That order is born of ego.

How does one get to Heaven? By living a good life? Being a moral person? By being caring, compassionate, honest, forthright, and trustworthy? Of course not.

You get there by stroking God's ego, praising him, worshiping him, loving him, and putting him ahead of everything else in our lives.

And what benefit do we get? Nothing. Unanswered prayers. A deafening silence. Evil and suffering go on unabated. Not one thing about this world has changed; the crucifixion of Jesus did nothing to make the world a better place. Not one thing.

Even the concept of sin is for God's benefit, not ours. Especially since 90% of all the sins are sexual in nature. It is his hatred of sin that prompted God to make those laws, not because he was looking out for us. If he was truly doing this for our benefit, he would have divinely inspired the Biblical authors to write about germ theory instead of giving detailed instructions on how to treat menstruating women and how spiritually unclean they are. God would have told us how to create antibiotics rather than telling us that bird's blood will cure leprosy.

But that's not what we get when we look at God's laws now, is it. Oh no. Instead, we just get a long list of things we're not supposed to eat, lists of people to hate, lists of trivial crimes that carry the death penalty, even the first four commandments were all about God. NONE of those things benefit us in the least. Whether we work on the Sabbath ... or not. Whether we make graven images ... or not. Whether we have other gods before him ... or not. Whether we take God's name in vain ... or not. None of those things, whether we do them ... or not ... makes not a whit of difference to us.

It's all about God, his ego, his vanity, and his immature jealousy.

Quote:
The OT blood sacrifice set the stage so that mankind would gradually come to understand the seriousness of sin ("sin," another discussion) and the absolute significance of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on their behalf.
The sins that really matter -- like murder, theft, etc. were all ready treated seriously by every organized society on the planet. Which is why every organized society had laws making those acts illegal and they often carried very harsh sentences. We didn't need God's blood sacrifice to figure ANY of that out.

As for the rest of it, who cares. It's like saying God sacrificed Jesus on the cross so humanity would come to realize the seriousness of cross dressing, the seriousness of wearing four tassles on your cloak, the seriousness of never EVER wearing more than one type of fabric at a time.

Because that's essentially what's left. The rest of it? Well, we figured the rest of it out all on our own. No gods ... and no blood sacrifices ... required.

Quote:
An inborn knowledge of God's existence, Inspired Scripture and ultimately, His Holy Spirit are how God has perfectly chosen to convey His ways, truths, plans, purpose and promises to mankind down through the ages.
Uh huh. Sure. His plan on how to convey his ways, truths, plans, purpose, and promises down through the ages was so perfect that we now have some 30,000 different denominations, factions, sects, cults, and organizations all preaching slightly different religious paradigms ... because of the sheer amount of disagreement over what the Bible is actually saying. That's how perfect it was.

As for an inborn knowledge of God's existence -- rubbish. Because if that were at all true, there wouldn't be any atheists. In fact, the entire world would be Christian. But it isn't. Not even close. Guess what that means?

Holy Spirit? What holy spirit? I don't feel, see, smell, hear, or sense in any way a holy spirit anywhere.

Ever.

Quote:
How else would people 1000's of years later know about these things or even about God and Jesus Christ ?
Hinduism is over 4,000 years older than Christianity. It is the oldest continuously practiced religion in the world. Look how long the Hindus knew about their heros, their gods, their legends, their myths? By your logic, it would mean the Hindus are the ones on the right path. Not Christians. Compared to Hinduism, Christianity is some young upstart religion with snot still on its nose.

Quote:
You spirituality and search for truth in this and many threads is quite evident. However, you are cutting yourself off from truth for which you cannot define or control the evidence. The answers are there waiting for you.
You don't know what the truth is. No one does. But at least we atheists can admit that rather than pretending to know something we can't possibly know.

Spirituality is a search for belief ... not truth. It is casting about in the dark looking for a supernatural paradigm that is convincing to the listener/reader. It has nothing whatsoever to do with what is true.

As for these man-made religions and man-made gods, the only answers waiting for you are wrong.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:52 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,265,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
There is something sick and unhealthy about the men who invented these ghastly religions -- not one of them was of sound mind. Nearly all of them had sex issues, probably suffered from erectile dysfunction, and were poor performers in the bedroom.
I tend to think they were obsessed with sex and most likely had sex abuse issues and urges. It's another reason why I think they (the men who created the bible) wanted to paint everyone with a broad brush and claim that everyone is born evil. The men who created this false claim had to have been evil themselves and most likely evil sexual monsters as well.

I am so thankful I did not live during those times.

The obsession with genitals is utterly telling is it not? It still goes on today as seen in that video.

Religious Male Circumcision

Religious views on female genital mutilation

Old 10-19-2018, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I tend to think they were obsessed with sex and most likely had sex abuse issues and urges. It's another reason why I think they (the men who created the bible) wanted to paint everyone with a broad brush and claim that everyone is born evil. The men who created this false claim had to have been evil themselves and most likely evil sexual monsters as well.

I am so thankful I did not live during those times.

The obsession with genitals is utterly telling is it not? It still goes on today as seen in that video.

Religious Male Circumcision

Religious views on female genital mutilation
Saint Augustine, the one Christian most responsible for modern Christianity's views on sex, was a legendary prude and hater of sexual pleasure. No doubt he probably had troubles getting that ol' Johnson to rise to any occasion. Men don't hate sex unless they have some underlying psychological reason to do so, which means Christianity's obsession with sex, gender, and genitalia, are actually the result of the ravings of sexual misfits whose neurotic sex issues made them unqualified to be preaching anything to anyone where sex is involved.

I do tend to think that sexual predators are drawn to religion -- namely because of how religion hates sex and pedophiles are often self-loathers. It's the perfect place to hear how horrible sex is while simultaneously having ready access to clergy who will not only cover them and protect them against the authorities, but also offer absolution and forgiveness for all of their kiddie-fiddling.

I mean, seriously, over 1,000 documented cases of rape and pedophilia in the Catholic church alone in just three... THREE ... diocese in just one state. I can't even begin to imagine, no I don't even WANT to imagine, the tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands (perhaps) of victims that brutally and selfishly had their trust betrayed by the monster clergy that either engaged in these sex acts - or looked the other way.

When all of this adds up, it means religion and the church offers the single best haven for rapists and molesters on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality