Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 05:25 PM

8,923 posts, read 7,724,837 times

Advertisements

That's an "ideal" version but everyone's definition of love is different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 05:27 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
I don't see where you see the contradiction. of course that's true, just like while I am now happily married I have had ex girlfriends I would say I genuinely loved but due to other factors we broke up. No where in the chapter does it state "And if you do all of this you'll never break apart".

I look at it akin to how TV shows like leave it to beaver gets criticized for being unrealistic yet while it may be true I don't see how TV shows showing off lots of family dysfunction is any better.
So...you didn't want other people's opinions, this is more like you're making a statement and alternative views will just be argued down?

Maybe you should blog about it? Blogs allow opinion but based on your moderation, you only have to publish the opinions that agree with yours if you want to.

And FTR, *I* don't see where this states both people feel the same way about one another (your assumption above) and furthermore, didn't Jesus constantly tell people to give love even if they weren't getting that back? I'm not Christian but I recall that pretty clearly. Not do I see where it says of course love isn't perfect and this is just something to strive for. (So are you sure this is the road you want to go down?)

Do you legitimately want opinions? Or just agreement? My opinions are based on the actual text, this is what love IS, no caveats mentioned. I thought you were asking is what we thought, not telling us to agree.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:29 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, not at all. You can love someone deeply get become impatient, for example. You don't stop loving the person for those five seconds. You're not only fake-loving him, then real-loving later when it's perfect again. People are imperfect; therefore, so is love. That doesn't make it not-love.

Another example is the boasting portion. I have boasted (technically) about my children when they had some huge accomplishment. My love wasn't tainted, false, or somehow incomplete while I was doing this. They were and are my sun and moon and I would always put them before me in a heartbeat.

Likewise, you can truly love someone but if that person is hurting you and you just stay, is that Paul's real love because you're continuing to be patient? Is that "real" love?
It doesn't mean you can't be human, and it doesn't require you to be a doormat.

It means that, despite our humanness that makes us all those things the verse warns us against, you strive to still love. Sometimes you're the impatient one, and sometimes you're the one putting up with an impatient partner.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It doesn't mean you can't be human, and it doesn't require you to be a doormat.

It means that, despite our humanness that makes us all those things the verse warns us against, you strive to still love. Sometimes you're the impatient one, and sometimes you're the one putting up with an impatient partner.
Okay. Because this is not what the quoted verses say, and the OP asked our opinion on those verses, and even quoted them for our reference.

But it's becoming clearer already that overall, people's legitimate opinions - "is this what love is?" - are not wanted at all here. So again...perhaps a blog post somewhere instead? JMO, could save what will become pages of having to police and argue down every single opinion that doesn't match the desired opinion. FWIW.

I continue to disagree with the verse, if that means anything at all.

Now. If this is really meant to be *an interpretation of* two specific verses, not "is this what love is whether (you're) religious or not?", isn't it actually a topic for the Religion forum?

Old 09-09-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Okay. Because this is not what the quoted verses say, and the OP asked our opinion on those verses, and even quoted them for our reference.

But it's becoming clearer already that overall, people's legitimate opinions - "is this what love is?" - are not wanted at all here. So again...perhaps a blog post somewhere instead? JMO, could save what will become pages of having to police and argue down every single opinion that doesn't match the desired opinion. FWIW.

I continue to disagree with the verse, if that means anything at all.
Love is divine, and humans are not. The whole point of Jesus was that he was God in human form so that we could (in theory) better learn what God wanted for us.

The verse is an accurate representation of what love is supposed to be, and if humans strive to behave in those recommended ways they will be showing love.

It can be done, and it's not a stretch to say that someone who is consistently impatient or consistently self-serving isn't showing love to others.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Love is divine, and humans are not. The whole point of Jesus was that he was God in human form so that we could (in theory) better learn what God wanted for us.

The verse is an accurate representation of what love is supposed to be, and if humans strive to behave in those recommended ways they will be showing love.

It can be done, and it's not a stretch to say that someone who is consistently impatient or consistently self-serving isn't showing love to others.
Okay, again. The OP said to answer even if not from a religious standpoint. If it is to be a theological discussion involving the divine rather than simply whether we as individuals "believe it is what love is," then this is the incorrect forum.

And again, FTR...I don't see "consistently" mentioned in the verse. Love IS and IS NOT and DOES NOT, is what the verse states.

And I disagree.

Is that okay? That I disagree?

Old 09-09-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Okay, again. The OP said to answer even if not from a religious standpoint. If it is to be a theological discussion involving the divine rather than simply whether we as individuals "believe it is what love is," then this is the incorrect forum.
We have many times in this forum made the very secular argument that "a guy doesn't love you if he insults you or calls you names" or that "a woman doesn't love you if she's having an emotional affair with her co-worker."

You don't think the verse explains love. We get it. I disagree. But the point can be made from the secular standpoint, and in fact we do it ALL THE TIME here.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
We have many times in this forum made the very secular argument that "a guy doesn't love you if he insults you or calls you names" or that "a woman doesn't love you if she's having an emotional affair with her co-worker."

You don't think the verse explains love. We get it. I disagree. But the point can be made from the secular standpoint, and in fact we do it ALL THE TIME here.
But you didn't just argue it from the secular standpoint. You interpreted it, based that on what "the divine" wants as if that were fact.

Quote:
I disagree.
We get it.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:16 PM

75 posts, read 54,567 times
Quote:
So...you didn't want other people's opinions, this is more like you're making a statement and alternative views will just be argued down?

Maybe you should blog about it? Blogs allow opinion but based on your moderation, you only have to publish the opinions that agree with yours if you want to.

And FTR, *I* don't see where this states both people feel the same way about one another (your assumption above) and furthermore, didn't Jesus constantly tell people to give love even if they weren't getting that back? I'm not Christian but I recall that pretty clearly. Not do I see where it says of course love isn't perfect and this is just something to strive for. (So are you sure this is the road you want to go down?)

Do you legitimately want opinions? Or just agreement? My opinions are based on the actual text, this is what love IS, no caveats mentioned. I thought you were asking is what we thought, not telling us to agree.
Uhh...I fail to see how just asking you to clarify your position is somehow "arguing down".

I guess you can call me forever the optimist but when it comes to my marriage the likes as the above are what I and my wife strive for. Will we always accomplish it? Of course not, but that doesn't mean optimism and reality need be mutually exclusive. I don't mean any disrespect, but you come off to me as a pessimist; one that starts looking for whatever is "wrong". The same kind who would watch a show like leave it to beaver and instead of just enjoying it for what it is will just start criticising it saying "This is so unrealistic! No family gets along this well!". It would be like me watching a fantasy TV show and complaining how unrealistic it is that there is magic, wizards, dragons etc. etc.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnpolybious View Post
Uhh...I fail to see how just asking you to clarify your position is somehow "arguing down".

I guess you can call me forever the optimist but when it comes to my marriage the likes as the above are what I and my wife strive for. Will we always accomplish it? Of course not, but that doesn't mean optimism and reality need be mutually exclusive. I don't mean any disrespect, but you come off to me as a pessimist; one that starts looking for whatever is "wrong". The same kind who would watch a show like leave it to beaver and instead of just enjoying it for what it is will just start criticising it saying "This is so unrealistic! No family gets along this well!". It would be like me watching a fantasy TV show and complaining how unrealistic it is that there is magic, wizards, dragons etc. etc.
Well then wouldn't a better question be, "Do you strive for these things in love?" alongside the various elements?

You asked whether the Bible does a good job of explaining what love is, my answer is no, I clarified and hopefully this is clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality