Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 6,882,745 times

Advertisements

I reckon these points in the OP should largely describe athiests and non-believers (of which I am one) as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude
1) Nope.
2) Not inscribed anywhere. "Honour life" might be it.
3) Nope.
4) Hope. I reckon that's shared even among most atheists.
5) Nope.
So, from your answer this is my assessment.
1) you are a loner who probably lives in the forests on your own.
2) Most people, probably even you, have a set of morals they live by otherwise you would likely be a mass-murderer.
3) You must have got 'life' all worked out and therefore you are probably an Ascended Master already.
4) Hope = comforting belief
5) So you dont consider people are different? Everyone is the same with same thoughts, same skills, same personalities? Much like the Borg then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 07:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Good, but I wonder if it could not be expanded; say for #1 "No, but I do feel a connection to nature and the life around me" if you see what I mean?
Fer criminy's sake, nate! I'm retired! I used to get paid by the word* but not here, not now.

Besides, somebody smarter than me said brevity is the soul of wit. Hence, I be brief.

*Topped out at a buck twenty-five.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:16 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I reckon these points in the OP should largely describe athiests and non-believers (of which I am one) as well.

So, from your answer this is my assessment.
1) you are a loner who probably lives in the forests on your own.
2) Most people, probably even you, have a set of morals they live by otherwise you would likely be a mass-murderer.
3) You must have got 'life' all worked out and therefore you are probably an Ascended Master already.
4) Hope = comforting belief
5) So you dont consider people are different? Everyone is the same with same thoughts, same skills, same personalities? Much like the Borg then?

1) Close.
2) Of course. I was raised by good-hearted Catholic parents and have many siblings. My childhood would be deemed "poor" by most standards. I learned to share. Empathy comes easy to me.
3) I wish. I just take each day as it presents itself.
4) Hope is the most important of the virtues. It keeps one moving forward, even when every step is uphill.
5) This is what you posted as 5):
Quote:
5) A belief in being 'chosen' or in some way 'special' over others not of this belief.

I do not feel 'chosen' or 'special' except for the fact that I am unique. As are you. As is every person who ever lived, or will.

Yes, people are different. Some, like the poor doomed fundies, are VERY different. A side-branch of humanity, like Neanderthals, not long for the planet.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:34 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
I remember when the new Pastor took over and He did have some traditional ideas in His teaching but out of sync. with Holy Spirit in some areas , God told here to pray and He would bring similar thinking , which over a few years the Lord brought the Pastor around in similar teaching of what Holy Spirit was conveying ....See God does have His preferred belief that does not invite the devil into Church with teaching of confusion

Old 09-12-2018, 05:28 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Well, you got THAT one right at least.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:46 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Requirements? Didn't quite get that?
I believe in what I have experienced/ have been shown.
I see it or I test what I've read, then, I believe it...until shown otherwise....
usually
a blossoming of the original belief.

Not that I have to personally test that we are 99.99999% empty space...it's
already been tested many times.
That's Faith, not religion. Not quite the same thing.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's Faith, not religion. Not quite the same thing.
Oh really? lol Thanks, ole buddy.

The op has no mention of religion so I didn't address religion...'belief' is his major word.
Don't get me started on my opinions on religions. Grrr...

And just as a correction...it really isn't faith either...when you test something and see something
for yourself...blind faith is gone...you know something in your gut...I have no faith that rain is wet, is what I mean, Arq, I know it is.

*Thinking of all those in the path of the hurricane!* Yikes!

Old 09-12-2018, 09:59 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh really? lol Thanks, ole buddy.

The op has no mention of religion so I didn't address religion...'belief' is his major word.
Don't get me started on my opinions on religions. Grrr...

And just as a correction...it really isn't faith either...when you test something and see something
for yourself...blind faith is gone...you know something in your gut...I have no faith that rain is wet, is what I mean, Arq, I know it is.

*Thinking of all those in the path of the hurricane!* Yikes!
I apologise. Fact is that 'belief -system' is a term coined to make atheism a religion, so that's how I Read it.

Faith is of course also 'belief' but ...uhhh: well, there are various nuances in 'belief' from belief based on reliable fact to Belief in spite of it. But the point is that I see you as having Faith (in the way you Interpret personal experiences as being correct, but is not a 'system' in the sense of an organised religion.

It's just the way it shakes down in my head, and you may see it differently.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:38 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
I thought faith was belief, also..at one time. It's subtle ..but it's different.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:52 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
faiths ⊂ beliefs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality