Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 03:11 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Of course, but TRANSPONDER has made very clear that he isn't interested in understanding what other people post and that instead he's solely interested in posting worthless objections to whatever doesn't perfectly fit his own personal, black-and-white worldview.
Of course you did yourself no favours by condemning my intransigence before i even responded. I don't mind at all admitting that I misunderstood your post. It gives me a chance to witdraw what I said, and go on another tack - why I use self -deprecating terms about atheism.I'm glad that you gave me the chance to explain. I've got so used to doing it that I forgot that I might need to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 03:17 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I’ll let others respond for themselves. I wasn’t suggesting any prescription. I was merely responding to Arq seeming to think that the post in question was saying that atheists were described by the 3rd definition. All I was saying is thats not how I read it but rather I read it as saying many make that assumption.

Ahh, I see that. My reading of that section was that buu is arguing that many do think that, and that it is our responsibility as atheists not to argue the point but to embrace it and change our label or beliefs to avoid it. That we have no right to try to challenge other peoples perception of atheists as evil. That's what I have a problem with. Just because many people think a think that is false and perjorative, doesn't mean I am required to act as though it is true.

-NoCapo

Old 09-14-2018, 03:33 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Ahh, I see that. My reading of that section was that buu is arguing that many do think that, and that it is our responsibility as atheists not to argue the point but to embrace it and change our label or beliefs to avoid it. That we have no right to try to challenge other peoples perception of atheists as evil. That's what I have a problem with. Just because many people think a think that is false and perjorative, doesn't mean I am required to act as though it is true.

-NoCapo
I think he was saying be prepared to offer an alternative view in a way that is comprehensible to those people and takes into account their very different view of human nature if it matters to you to change their perception. But I’ll let him answer for himself.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:50 PM

63,824 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
I’ll let others respond for themselves. I wasn’t suggesting any prescription. I was merely responding to Arq seeming to think that the post in question was saying that atheists were described by the 3rd definition. All I was saying is thats not how I read it but rather I read it as saying many make that assumption.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:03 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,464 times
Quote:
I think he was saying be prepared to offer an alternative view in a way that is comprehensible to those people and takes into account their very different view of human nature if it matters to you to change their perception. But I’ll let him answer for himself.
Can you boil that down for me? If someone believes that atheists are evil and enemies of God, then the only way I can make them understand I am not those things is how? What do you suggest? If a moral, decent, upright atheist is in comprehensible to someone, then you seem to be indicating that I should lie to them, or at the very least live by own mission, or artfully deceive them into thinking that I am I Theus like they are so that they will not hate me. Is that what you mean or do you have something else in mind?

-NoCapo

Old 09-14-2018, 04:13 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,399,541 times
Quote:
Can you boil that down for me? If someone believes that atheists are evil and enemies of God, then the only way I can make them understand I am not those things is how? What do you suggest? If a moral, decent, upright atheist is in comprehensible to someone, then you seem to be indicating that I should lie to them, or at the very least live by own mission, or artfully deceive them into thinking that I am I Theus like they are so that they will not hate me. Is that what you mean or do you have something else in mind?

-NoCapo
I don’t have a suggestion. I havent figured out even how to communicate that because I discarded religion and don’t accept that God punishes people, doesn't mean I’m an “unbeliever” who just wants to sin.

I’m simply conveying to you how I read bUU’s post. And if he can explain how to communicate with such people in an effective way, I’m all ears.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:16 PM

63,824 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Can you boil that down for me? If someone believes that atheists are evil and enemies of God, then the only way I can make them understand I am not those things is how? What do you suggest? If a moral, decent, upright atheist is incomprehensible to someone, then you seem to be indicating that I should lie to them, or at the very least live by own mission, or artfully deceive them into thinking that I am I Theus like they are so that they will not hate me. Is that what you mean or do you have something else in mind?
-NoCapo
A majority of theists, especially Fundamentalists, believe our purpose is to be OBEDIENT to God. They see disobedience to God as the sin. If you disbelieve in God you are automatically disobedient to God and therefore a sinful, evil person. Many freely acknowledge that you can be a decent and kind person but they do not connect that with God at all. That is the major corruption that the "precepts and doctrines of men" have perpetrated on the Gospel of agape love. They have made it about what you BELIEVE ABOUT God and NOT your state of mind, your character, your attitude toward life, and how you actually live. Changing that is a Herculean task.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:21 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It's a good list, but there are belief systems that belie most of those items.

For example, in #3, the word "being" precludes myriad belief systems that don't personify divinity, and the concept of "control" denies even the Clock-maker analogy that some folks' belief system relies on. #5 isn't a requirement but rather solely a common characteristic among some of the older belief systems.

I think #2 is safe, and #4 is broad enough that it won't violate too many belief systems. For #1, I'm not sure if it is a requirement of belief systems or rather just a requirement for something to be acknowledged as such.
Bingo on the bolded. Recently I said on here that even though I myself have personified God and will again, my concept of what I call God is not really a Person. I've wondered if we have to personify God in order to feel that we can connect.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Bingo on the bolded. Recently I said on here that even though I myself have personified God and will again, my concept of what I call God is not really a Person. I've wondered if we have to personify God in order to feel that we can connect.

And you get a Bingo!

Old 09-14-2018, 09:05 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Quote:

-NoCapo
I still feel that the best way is to play it straight and not be tempted by these people to fake it in order to make it sound persuasive.

I believe that people in the end are smart enough to understand straight talk and do want to believe that they have good reasons for believing what they believe. All the time they have their fingers in their ears, they can't "Hear" anyway, so keep talking until they are curious enough to unstop their ears.

That's even without the conviction that the intent is to try to talk us into toning it down, if we can't be silenced completely. That's the intent behind everything the believers post - shut us up, whatever it takes. Don't let them sucker you, friends; keep talking to the ones wiling to listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality