Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 03:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
I was yearning for some peace within.

...snip...

Try fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 04:36 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Wow! Now that you've provided scripture...all us atheists just have to believe!

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. When you're talking to people who don't believe in the bible...and to prove your point you quote the bible...well, what is it you think you've proven?
Exactly, but the "faithful" don't see it that way. They think they just told you, "So There!".

Old 09-30-2018, 04:37 PM

50,837 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Hey, I know how you like reading... I was just giving you something to ponder.. considering my reply was to someone other than you. lol!
There's a place for private messages.
This is a discussion open to all.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:22 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Try fishing.
Fishing is nice ..and then it ends.
Sex is nice and then it ends....cocaine is nice...and then it ends....
Find that thing that never ends...I say.

Old 09-30-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Everything ends. We become wormfood in the end, and then the sun explodes, and the solar system is gone. Then the galaxy collapses and it is gone. Then the universe collapses, and we still continue to be part of the mult-verse. The another big bang occurs, as gravitational forces from those other universes start the whole cycle all over again. It may take a few billion of years for all of that to happen.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:52 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Nope. At death, it's not about the corpse. It can be buried or cremated. It doesn't matter. What "lives" is the spirit/soul inside the corpse.

"When I realized that the time had come for me to go, I did not fear to do so, but calmly waited and thought that all my sufferings would soon end. And when my spirit left the body, I commenced to feel as if I was rising out of it and that I was going upward to the place that I had so often heard my father speak about."

Helen describes her passing
Out of body experiences can be and have been produced under laboratory conditions. Mild electrical stimulation of the temporoparietal junction causes the individual to undergoes out of body experiences.

Wikipedia
Near Death Experience

A near-death experience (NDE) is a personal experience associated with death or impending death. Such experiences may encompass a variety of sensations including detachment from the body, feelings of levitation, total serenity, security, warmth, the experience of absolute dissolution, and the presence of a light.[1] NDEs are a recognized part of some transcendental and religious beliefs in an afterlife.

Different models have been described to explain NDEs. Neuroscience research suggests that an NDE is a subjective phenomenon resulting from "disturbed bodily multisensory integration" that occurs during life-threatening events.

Low oxygen levels (and G-LOC) model

Low oxygen levels in the blood (hypoxia or anoxia) have been hypothesized to induce hallucinations and hence possibly explain NDEs. This is because low oxygen levels characterize life-threatening situations and also by the apparent similarities between NDEs and G-force induced loss of consciousness (G-LOC) episodes.

These episodes are observed with fighter pilots experiencing very rapid and intense acceleration that result in lack of sufficient blood supply to the brain. Whinnery[66] studied almost 1000 cases and noted how the experiences often involved "tunnel vision and bright lights, floating sensations, automatic movement, autoscopy, OBEs, not wanting to be disturbed, paralysis, vivid dreamlets of beautiful places, pleasurable sensations, psychological alterations of euphoria and dissociation, inclusion of friends and family, inclusion of prior memories and thoughts, the experience being very memorable (when it can be remembered), confabulation, and a strong urge to understand the experience.

Other models
French said that at least some reports of NDEs might be based upon false memories.

According to Engmann (2008) near-death experiences of people who are clinically dead are psychopathological symptoms caused by a severe malfunction of the brain resulting from the cessation of cerebral blood circulation.[68] An important question is whether it is possible to "translate" the bloomy experiences of the reanimated survivors into psychopathologically basic phenomena, e.g., acoasms (nonverbal auditory hallucinations), central narrowing of the visual field, autoscopia, visual hallucinations, activation of limbic and memory structures according to Moody's stages. The symptoms suppose a primary affliction of the occipital and temporal cortices under clinical death. This basis could be congruent with the thesis of pathoclisis—the inclination of special parts of the brain to be the first to be damaged in case of disease, lack of oxygen, or malnutrition—established eighty years ago by Cécile and Oskar Vogt.[69]

Professor of neurology Terence Hines (2003) claimed that near-death experiences are hallucinations caused by cerebral anoxia, drugs, or brain damage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-death_experience

The condition is known as hypoxia. It occurs when the brain is deprived of oxygen.

There has been an ongoing tendency among human beings to attribute things they do not understand to the supernatural at work. But the more science investigates, the more science discovers that "supernatural" processes are in reality natural processes at work. Time and again the "supernatural" proves to be human ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009
From what I've read, the Muslims don't believe Jesus is God. This is my belief. But I do believe he was crucified.

Christians believe Jesus is God and he died on the cross to save our sins. I do not.
Do you believe that Jesus died and arose from the dead? Do you believe that Jesus bodily flew up to heaven?

Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Mental freedom.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:16 PM

18,498 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Recent neuroscience has confirmed that a person’s conscience is, in fact, the voice of God. Unfortunately, it has also been shown that the voice of God is actually the voice of a god worshipped by a remote Amazon jungle tribe.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:25 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,163,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
There has been an ongoing tendency among human beings to attribute things they do not understand to the supernatural at work. But the more science investigates, the more science discovers that "supernatural" processes are in reality natural processes at work. Time and again the "supernatural" proves to be human ignorance.

Do you believe that Jesus died and arose from the dead? Do you believe that Jesus bodily flew up to heaven?
I believe what I have highlighted above. The supernatural is in reality natural. It's how we're created.

Think of this. A baby prior to being born is attached to it's mother's womb by an umbilical cord. When birth time arrives, the cord is cut and, thankfully in the majority of instances, the baby is born on this earth. It's now ready to embark on the human experience path.

Inside this baby is a soul which is encased in a spirit body. This spirit body is attached to the physical body by a silver cord. A spirit body may have OBEs or NDEs while it's inside the physical body. However, those experiences don't bring about a cutting of the cord. It is death of the physical body that causes the cut and when that happens a spirit is born in the spirit world. It's now ready to embark on the spiritual experience path.

I believe that the earth is the image of the spirit world and spirits are just as real and substantial as humans but without a skeleton and organs. I believe they communicate with each other by mental telepathy and can visit the earth at their will and they can also communicate with us.

I believe Jesus died and arose from the dead just like every human being does. I believe Jesus rose up just as Helen did in my prior post. Helen writes that her mother-in-law was with her when she passed. I don't know who was with Jesus, but just a guess it was someone very important to him in his life... maybe his Grandmother or Grandfather.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I believe what I have highlighted above. The supernatural is in reality natural. It's how we're created.

Think of this. A baby prior to being born is attached to it's mother's womb by an umbilical cord. When birth time arrives, the cord is cut and, thankfully in the majority of instances, the baby is born on this earth. It's now ready to embark on the human experience path.

Inside this baby is a soul which is encased in a spirit body. This spirit body is attached to the physical body by a silver cord. A spirit body may have OBEs or NDEs while it's inside the physical body. However, those experiences don't bring about a cutting of the cord. It is death of the physical body that causes the cut and when that happens a spirit is born in the spirit world. It's now ready to embark on the spiritual experience path.

I believe that the earth is the image of the spirit world and spirits are just as real and substantial as humans but without a skeleton and organs. I believe they communicate with each other by mental telepathy and can visit the earth at their will and they can also communicate with us.

I believe Jesus died and arose from the dead just like every human being does. I believe Jesus rose up just as Helen did in my prior post. Helen writes that her mother-in-law was with her when she passed. I don't know who was with Jesus, but just a guess it was someone very important to him in his life... maybe his Grandmother or Grandfather.
This sounds great, but why do you have a belief in spirits or a spirit world? What makes you believe it exists, and what did you do to determine this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality