Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 10:07 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
SoCalAngel...pls don't entertain, smart-alicks.
Dogs and being trampled, remember...waste of time, you're too sweet to be mocked...
probably don't recognize that you are.
Take care.
Ha! No worries. It's not like I haven't been around the block a time or two... seen, read and heard it all... if you get my drift. Plus what may be of interest... or not.. is that as long as I've had my spiritual beliefs, I've also been working in the legal field. So if I come across to you as a sweet dummy, well that's so sweet and, perhaps, it's true. In any event, happy to be part of the entertainment... while spreading joy and good cheer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2018, 12:23 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Ha! No worries. It's not like I haven't been around the block a time or two... seen, read and heard it all... if you get my drift. Plus what may be of interest... or not.. is that as long as I've had my spiritual beliefs, I've also been working in the legal field. So if I come across to you as a sweet dummy, well that's so sweet and, perhaps, it's true. In any event, happy to be part of the entertainment... while spreading joy and good cheer.
I have been told numerous times over the years by various Christians that Jesus had visited them in some fashion. You say you had a dream in which you saw Jesus. The NT is not a picture book, and it includes NO written descriptions of Jesus. So it occurs to me, whenever someone tells me that they have seen or been visited by Jesus, to ask how in the world they knew it was Jesus? It seems to me to be not only a reasonable question, but an obvious one.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I have been told numerous times over the years by various Christians that Jesus had visited them in some fashion. You say you had a dream in which you saw Jesus. The NT is not a picture book, and it includes NO written descriptions of Jesus. So it occurs to me, whenever someone tells me that they have seen or been visited by Jesus, to ask how in the world they knew it was Jesus? It seems to me to be not only a reasonable question, but an obvious one.
He was tall and had shoulder length hair. He was nice looking and wore a long white robe.

His description was written over a hundred years ago by a spirit who knew him well:

"He is of a commanding figure, as you say on earth. His features are regular, and his eyes are of a deep blue, almost a purple blue, with such depths of love in them that under its influence you almost forget to note the color of his eyes. The hair is a beautiful brown, worn long and parted in the middle so that it falls over his shoulders. His nose is straight and somewhat long, with nostrils very refined and showing the artistic elements in his nature. His other features are in keeping with those I have described. He wears a beard quite long and very silky and brown like his hair. His manner is grace itself and modesty personified, and yet in him is the intensity of feeling which can show itself in just indignation when the occasion requires. And yet with all the great beauty of his person and the greater love of his soul showing itself, he is very humble - more so than any spirit I have seen."

Description of Jesus

I know a few people who have seen him, too. I haven't, but on three occasions in the last ten years, I've felt his presence, which is very intense and loving. Now how did I know it was him? It's a soul thing.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, I cut my son's umbilical myself. And then the nurse handed him to me and I got to meet my new boy.

Explain the difference between this statement and pure utter make believe. Because I don't see any difference. You simply made this up out of your imagination. My experience with make believe, and I am 70 years old, so my experience is almost certainly greater than yours, is that make believe has absolutely no effect on reality. Things are not so, simply because we declared them to be so. Which is why I am not a billionaire.

Scientific studies on OBE's and NDE's have shown them to often be the result of the brain reacting to external forces. Often it is because of lack of oxygen. Sometimes though it can occur when we are simply dreaming. But you see, the experiences have no physical reality. They are occurring entirely within the mind of the person experiencing them.

You believe this to be so because it appeals to you. But in fact you simply made it up out of your imagination. Or you were told that this is so by others, and you do not question it. There is no physical evidence for a "spirit world." Nor is there any tangible reason to suppose that the things you, or anyone else, imagines to be true have any physical validity. Things which are imagined to be true but for with there is no physical evidence are relegated to the realm of make believe. Make believe is very common among humans and always has been. But the difference between make believe and physical reality is quite profound. It's like the difference between talking to an invisible friend, and talking to someone on your cell phone.

According to Gospel John 20:26-27, the risen Jesus could pass through solid walls, yet also had a physical body. Acts 1:9 indicates that Jesus bodily lifted off of the ground and flew off up into the sky. Is this nonsense, or do you believe it to be true?
For the record, I didn't make anything up. I am relaying information which is contained in books which I've read and studied for 40 years and, yep, I do believe it.

This explains what happened to Jesus after his death:

"After the tomb was sealed Jesus arose, and without his body of flesh, passed from the tomb and descended into the lower spheres where the dark spirits lived in their ignorance and sufferings, and preached to them the rebestowal of the gift of immortality. The body of flesh by the power which Jesus possessed, became so spiritualized, or etherialized that its component parts became disseminated by Jesus in the surrounding atmosphere, and he retained only the spiritual body in which he afterwards, appeared to the disciples and others."

Luke explains the dematerialization of Jesus' earthly body

Old 10-06-2018, 08:39 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
He was tall and had shoulder length hair. He was nice looking and wore a long white robe.

His description was written over a hundred years ago by a spirit who knew him well:

"He is of a commanding figure, as you say on earth. His features are regular, and his eyes are of a deep blue, almost a purple blue, with such depths of love in them that under its influence you almost forget to note the color of his eyes. The hair is a beautiful brown, worn long and parted in the middle so that it falls over his shoulders. His nose is straight and somewhat long, with nostrils very refined and showing the artistic elements in his nature. His other features are in keeping with those I have described. He wears a beard quite long and very silky and brown like his hair. His manner is grace itself and modesty personified, and yet in him is the intensity of feeling which can show itself in just indignation when the occasion requires. And yet with all the great beauty of his person and the greater love of his soul showing itself, he is very humble - more so than any spirit I have seen."

Description of Jesus

I know a few people who have seen him, too. I haven't, but on three occasions in the last ten years, I've felt his presence, which is very intense and loving. Now how did I know it was him? It's a soul thing.
Yeah, that sounds like someone whose genetic background is from desert dwelling, middle eastern goat herders.

This is much more likely!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...oked-like.html

Old 10-06-2018, 08:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
The human mind is fascinating.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:06 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense
Post #113 of this string
Explain the difference between this statement and pure utter make believe. Because I don't see any difference. You simply made this up out of your imagination. My experience with make believe, and I am 70 years old, so my experience is almost certainly greater than yours, is that make believe has absolutely no effect on reality. Things are not so, simply because we declared them to be so. Which is why I am not a billionaire.

You believe this to be so because it appeals to you. But in fact you simply made it up out of your imagination. Or you were told that this is so by others, and you do not question it. There is no physical evidence for a "spirit world." Nor is there any tangible reason to suppose that the things you, or anyone else, imagines to be true have any physical validity. Things which are imagined to be true but for with there is no physical evidence are relegated to the realm of make believe. Make believe is very common among humans and always has been. But the difference between make believe and physical reality is quite profound. It's like the difference between talking to an invisible friend, and talking to someone on your cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009

Description of Jesus

Ann Rollins' experience in seeking, the Divine Love of God, she also gives a short description of Jesus

I am here, your Grandmother.

I am happier than I can tell you. I am living in my home of which I told you a few nights ago, and it is a beautiful home beyond the possibility of description.

Tonight, I want to tell you of my experience in seeking, the Love of God, and in realizing that He is my Father, who loves me with a Love that knows no shadow of wavering or cessation.

Well, it is somewhat difficult to describe his appearance, but I will try. He is of a commanding figure, as you say on earth. His features are regular, and his eyes are of a deep blue, almost a purple blue, with such depths of love in them that under its influence you almost forget to note the color of his eyes. The hair is a beautiful brown, worn long and parted in the middle so that it falls over his shoulders. His nose is straight and somewhat long, with nostrils very refined and showing the artistic elements in his nature. His other features are in keeping with those I have described. He wears a beard quite long and very silky and brown like his hair. His manner is grace itself and modesty personified, and yet in him is the intensity of feeling which can show itself in just indignation when the occasion requires. And yet with all the great beauty of his person and the greater love of his soul showing itself, he is very humble - more so than any spirit I have seen.

Well dear son, I have written a great deal and must stop now, though I should like to write you a much longer time.

So with all my love I will close, and sign myself

Your loving Grandmother, Ann Rollin
https://www.truthforallpeople.com/ce...ption-of-jesus

My first observation from the above description is to wonder why this middle eastern Jewish man should have possessed such striking features, and yet his unique "commanding" appearance was never once mentioned by any of the authors of the New testament. Or is this a description of his resurrected "heavenly spirit " body?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009
For the record, I didn't make anything up. I am relaying information which is contained in books which I've read and studied for 40 years and, yep, I do believe it.

This explains what happened to Jesus after his death:

"After the tomb was sealed Jesus arose, and without his body of flesh, passed from the tomb and descended into the lower spheres where the dark spirits lived in their ignorance and sufferings, and preached to them the rebestowal of the gift of immortality. The body of flesh by the power which Jesus possessed, became so spiritualized, or etherialized that its component parts became disseminated by Jesus in the surrounding atmosphere, and he retained only the spiritual body in which he afterwards, appeared to the disciples and others."

True Gospel Revealed Anew By Jesus. Volume 1
Luke: Explains dematerialization of Jesus’ earthly body.
October 24th, 1915

Received by James Padgett

Washington D.C.

I am here, St. Luke, (Writer of the Third Gospel That Was.)

I was with you tonight at the meeting of the Spiritualists, and heard the statement of the speaker as to the probabilities of what became of the body of Jesus after the crucifixion.

I was not present at the crucifixion, and, of course, do not personally know what became of the body of Jesus, but I have been told by those who were present that the Bible description of his burial in the tomb of Joseph was true. The body was buried in the tomb of Joseph and was left there by those who placed it in the tomb, which was sealed and a guard set over it to prevent anyone from approaching and interfering with the body, because Jesus had predicted that in three days he would rise again.

After the tomb was sealed Jesus arose, and without his body of flesh passed from the tomb and descended into the lower spheres where the dark spirits lived in their ignorance and sufferings, and preached to them the rebestowal of the gift of immortality.
https://new-birth.net/padgetts-messa...y-vol-1-pg326/

For the record, this is EXACTLY what I was referring to when I said "Explain the difference between this statement and pure utter make believe. Because I don't see any difference. You simply made this up out of your imagination." (post #113 of this string)

Now we can see that you didn't make this up out of your own imagination. You appropriated it from the imagination of others. Because it corresponds to your particular religious indoctrination, and it APPEALS to your religious sensibilities. The above is actually James Padgett's flight of fancy.

All of which is very understandable. But as I pointed out last Thursday (oct. 4, in post #113 of this string). What obvious difference is there between any of the things that you are claiming, and pure make believe? Because these things have simply been imagined and declared to be true!

The Catholic church has declared it to be one of the four Marian dogmas, that Mary the mother of Jesus was perpetually a virgin. According to the dogma of the Perpetual virginity of Mary, Joseph was already an old man, a widower with children from his first wife, when he married Mary. Joseph was an impotent old man, and Mary was thirteen or fourteen years old. And so Mary remained a virgin until the day she bodily ascended to heaven. Another of the four Marian dogmas.

Now the question arises, and rightly so, is any of this information contained in the NT? And the answer is NO! This is make believe! These assertions are entirely derived from the imaginations of Christians, Because these things appeal to Christian religious sensibilities. Different religious groups have differing dogmatic beliefs, the most notorious of which among Christians are, arguably, the religious assertions made by the Mormons and the JW's. All of which helps explain why there are some 44 THOUSAND Christian denominations today. Because everyone feels they have a personal handle on "the truth," and each individual Christian knows that their make believe, the elements of their faith that they have drawn entirely from their imaginations or the imaginations of those they were indoctrinated by, are the true valid beliefs. Or as you put it:

"I know a few people who have seen him, too. I haven't, but on three occasions in the last ten years, I've felt his presence, which is very intense and loving. Now how did I know it was him? It's a soul thing."

Because you believe it and feel it in your heart to be so.

The bottom line is, however, that you (Christians) believe that when you die an invisible part of you will journey to an invisible place to be with invisible friends eternally. All because you believe that a corpse came back to life and subsequently flew away. Because a group of people 2,000 years ago said that it was so and you (Christians) were raised to believe it without question, as a matter of faith.

Here is an undeniable fact however. Everyone who lived two thousand years ago DIED and are nowhere to be found today. No amount of make believe/imagination/blind faith/childlike gullibility has ever yet managed to change this fact.

Does it make me a horrid unfeeling brute for pointing this out?

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 10-06-2018 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Does it make me a horrid unfeeling brute for pointing this out?
Nope. I don't think you're that way at all. Whatever you believe or don't believe is okay by me.

I do appreciate your reading the message. The attorney who began receiving spirit communications after his wife passed over was as skeptical as you were in the beginning. (And I repeat myself, I was skeptical as well!) Anyway, he became convinced after he prayed for God's Divine Love and began receiving it. (Same here.) When that happened, the whole ballgame changed. The writings were not of his imagination...or mine... because we couldn't think up such awesome things to write.

As to Jesus and his looks, he was born a Jew, but at a young age, he was very close to God when he began receiving Divine Love in his soul. This Love brings inner peace and sublime happiness far beyond the natural love we're born with and is reflected in a person's appearance.

One of the writers was Mary who debunked the myth of the virgin birth. Other things that were debunked was Jesus walking on water (didn't happen, he was standing in a row boat with low clouds), Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead (he was in a coma), a fallen angel... the devil (no such being), fire and brimstone in an eternal hell (hell is different degrees of darkness, not eternal)... the list goes on.

Getting back to the topic, is your conscience the voice of God? It is my belief that God doesn't speak... He uses our voice to communicate. But if we think as God thinks, then that's a really good thing. Love one another is what comes to me.

Last edited by SoCalAngel2009; 10-06-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 PM

50,844 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yeah, that sounds like someone whose genetic background is from desert dwelling, middle eastern goat herders.

This is much more likely!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...oked-like.html
I think she saw Jeffrey Hunter.

Old 10-06-2018, 08:24 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,486,072 times
If one's conscious is the 'voice of God', then how do you explain the divergence of ideals between cultures and over time?

Consider:

In the West, democracy is generally idealized. Not so much in places like China or Russia or the Middle East. Yes, spare me the protests - there is support for it there, but it significantly lags behind that of Western nations. And a thousand years ago, the idea that government should be accountable to the broad populace was held by virtually no one.

Shall we talk racial discrimination and slavery? Attitudes in 2018 are different from those in 1958, and vastly different from those in 1858.

Equality of women? The rights of gays? Justice? What the conscious of the average 21st century person tells them on these notions, and so many others, is radically different than one would find 100 years ago, which would in turn would differ greatly from those of 500 years ago, and so on.

So is the 'voice of God' constantly changing? Religions generally maintain that their deity, their supreme lawgiver, upholds immutable ideals. Yet our collective conscience is constantly changing. So either God regularly changes with the times, or morals are a social construct that are a continual work in progress.

It's pretty obvious that the latter is so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality