Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 09:14 PM

88,593 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Recent neuroscience has confirmed that a person’s conscience is, in fact, the voice of God. Unfortunately, it has also been shown that the voice of God is actually the voice of a god worshipped by a remote Amazon jungle tribe.
So it is true. No one dies of natural causes. We must avenge the deaths of our loved ones by obtaining and shrinking the heads of the other tribes!

Old 10-06-2018, 10:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think she saw Jeffrey Hunter.

Uh-huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 02:03 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Nope. I don't think you're that way at all. Whatever you believe or don't believe is okay by me.

I do appreciate your reading the message. The attorney who began receiving spirit communications after his wife passed over was as skeptical as you were in the beginning. (And I repeat myself, I was skeptical as well!) Anyway, he became convinced after he prayed for God's Divine Love and began receiving it. (Same here.) When that happened, the whole ballgame changed. The writings were not of his imagination...or mine... because we couldn't think up such awesome things to write.

As to Jesus and his looks, he was born a Jew, but at a young age, he was very close to God when he began receiving Divine Love in his soul. This Love brings inner peace and sublime happiness far beyond the natural love we're born with and is reflected in a person's appearance.

One of the writers was Mary who debunked the myth of the virgin birth. Other things that were debunked was Jesus walking on water (didn't happen, he was standing in a row boat with low clouds), Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead (he was in a coma), a fallen angel... the devil (no such being), fire and brimstone in an eternal hell (hell is different degrees of darkness, not eternal)... the list goes on.

Getting back to the topic, is your conscience the voice of God? It is my belief that God doesn't speak... He uses our voice to communicate. But if we think as God thinks, then that's a really good thing. Love one another is what comes to me.
There was a time when God was much more intimate with us humans. God not only spoke directly to Moses for example, He showed Moses His butt.

Exodus 33:
[21] And the LORD said (to Moses), Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
[22] And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
[23] And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Unless in your opinion this story is utter nonsense, much in the same way the claim that Mary was a virgin when she had Jesus is nonsense; like the story of Jesus walking on water is nonsense; like the story that Jesus resurrected Lazarus from the dead is nonsense; and so on. Not that I am in disagreement with such an assessment. These stories have all of the hallmarks of being pure nonsense. My personal favorites when it comes to Biblical stories that appear to be utter nonsense Are Joshua's "Day the Earth Stood Still" (Joshua 10:12-13) and Matthew's "Night of the Living Dead" (Matt.27:52-53) fairy tales. And let us not forget Jonah (shades of Pinocchio) and his big fish story, or Noah's boat full of dinosaurs and other creatures. Which causes me to wonder, if it is clear that the Bible contains stories that are clearly utter nonsense, why anyone should find the story of a corpse coming back to life and flying away convincing. But of course you are in direct communication with Jesus.

Which puts me in mind of my late aunt.

My aunt was also in direct communication with Jesus. In fact Jesus stood in the corner of her living room and carried on long conversations with her. No one but her could see or hear him unfortunately, so from our perspective all we could hear was her side of the conversation. When asked what Jesus looked like, she said he was beautiful. He shone.

Then she announced that, because she was Jesus' special beloved, he had told her the date and time of his second coming. So she and roughly half of her church congregation sat out in lawn chairs in the church parking lot before dawn to witness Jesus return in triumph in the skies.

Well as you might have guessed, Jesus stood her up.

She could only say that she must have misunderstood, even though she had been adamant that he had told her the date very clearly and precisely. And she went right on having her conversations with Jesus until she passed at the age of 90.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:03 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,163,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
There was a time when God was much more intimate with us humans. God not only spoke directly to Moses for example, He showed Moses His butt.

Exodus 33:
[21] And the LORD said (to Moses), Behold, there is a place by me, and thou shalt stand upon a rock:
[22] And it shall come to pass, while my glory passeth by, that I will put thee in a clift of the rock, and will cover thee with my hand while I pass by:
[23] And I will take away mine hand, and thou shalt see my back parts: but my face shall not be seen.

Unless in your opinion this story is utter nonsense, much in the same way the claim that Mary was a virgin when she had Jesus is nonsense; like the story of Jesus walking on water is nonsense; like the story that Jesus resurrected Lazarus from the dead is nonsense; and so on. Not that I am in disagreement with such an assessment. These stories have all of the hallmarks of being pure nonsense. My personal favorites when it comes to Biblical stories that appear to be utter nonsense Are Joshua's "Day the Earth Stood Still" (Joshua 10:12-13) and Matthew's "Night of the Living Dead" (Matt.27:52-53) fairy tales. And let us not forget Jonah (shades of Pinocchio) and his big fish story, or Noah's boat full of dinosaurs and other creatures. Which causes me to wonder, if it is clear that the Bible contains stories that are clearly utter nonsense, why anyone should find the story of a corpse coming back to life and flying away convincing. But of course you are in direct communication with Jesus.

Which puts me in mind of my late aunt.

My aunt was also in direct communication with Jesus. In fact Jesus stood in the corner of her living room and carried on long conversations with her. No one but her could see or hear him unfortunately, so from our perspective all we could hear was her side of the conversation. When asked what Jesus looked like, she said he was beautiful. He shone.

Then she announced that, because she was Jesus' special beloved, he had told her the date and time of his second coming. So she and roughly half of her church congregation sat out in lawn chairs in the church parking lot before dawn to witness Jesus return in triumph in the skies.

Well as you might have guessed, Jesus stood her up.

She could only say that she must have misunderstood, even though she had been adamant that he had told her the date very clearly and precisely. And she went right on having her conversations with Jesus until she passed at the age of 90.
Good one about Moses and the other tall tales you mentioned. Here's another one. The revelations of John were about a dream he had. There ain't ever gonna be a judgment day as believed by so many well-meaning Christians... so sorry your aunt was duped. Perhaps she saw Jesus once, but I have my doubts that he chatted with her daily.. and it sure wasn't him who misled her. I don't bother Jesus. I know he's busy.

More debunking... the Adam and Eve story (those two were in cahoots... no evil serpent)... their real names are Aman (a-man) and Amon (a-woman). No Trinity (God, Holy Spirit and Jesus are separate and distinct)... many books of the bible were re-written so don't contain original writings of the authors.

This from Luke.

Jesus' teachings were lost about 150 years after his passing. The emphasis by the church leaders who wrote the bible was to build up their congregations.

In this wikipedia bio about Emanuel Swedenborg, there is a reference to the year 1743 when he had a visit from his Lord and was appointed to "reveal the spiritual meaning of the Bible." According to the spirit messages that I read and believe, this was true. He (his spirit) was taken to the Heavens. So what happened? Swedenborg saw Jesus and believed he was God. Oy vey... a bust!

After that debacle, Jesus didn't throw in the towel. He persevered. His desire was to find someone who was reliable that he could communicate with who would write down his teachings by automatic writing (the highest form of spirit communication). Another 172 years passed before Jesus was able to convince a Methodist attorney (who believed Jesus was God), that he had the requisite requirements to take on this monumental task. Unknown to the attorney who was 61 years old at the time, he was a medium. The attorney recalled at one time that he had a visit with Jesus, but he had no idea what the future held (same here.)

Old 10-07-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Good one about Moses and the other tall tales you mentioned. Here's another one. The revelations of John were about a dream he had. There ain't ever gonna be a judgment day as believed by so many well-meaning Christians... so sorry your aunt was duped. Perhaps she saw Jesus once, but I have my doubts that he chatted with her daily.. and it sure wasn't him who misled her. I don't bother Jesus. I know he's busy.

More debunking... the Adam and Eve story (those two were in cahoots... no evil serpent)... their real names are Aman (a-man) and Amon (a-woman). No Trinity (God, Holy Spirit and Jesus are separate and distinct)... many books of the bible were re-written so don't contain original writings of the authors.

This from Luke.

Jesus' teachings were lost about 150 years after his passing. The emphasis by the church leaders who wrote the bible was to build up their congregations.

In this wikipedia bio about Emanuel Swedenborg, there is a reference to the year 1743 when he had a visit from his Lord and was appointed to "reveal the spiritual meaning of the Bible." According to the spirit messages that I read and believe, this was true. He (his spirit) was taken to the Heavens. So what happened? Swedenborg saw Jesus and believed he was God. Oy vey... a bust!

After that debacle, Jesus didn't throw in the towel. He persevered. His desire was to find someone who was reliable that he could communicate with who would write down his teachings by automatic writing (the highest form of spirit communication). Another 172 years passed before Jesus was able to convince a Methodist attorney (who believed Jesus was God), that he had the requisite requirements to take on this monumental task. Unknown to the attorney who was 61 years old at the time, he was a medium. The attorney recalled at one time that he had a visit with Jesus, but he had no idea what the future held (same here.)
My aunt was mentally ill. She was clinically diagnosed with OCD (extremely common among obsessively religious people by the way), and schizophrenia. The doctors prescribed meds for her, but she refused to take them, because she said they made Jesus mad at her and he would refuse to talk to her. Some of her friends in church also talked to Jesus apparently, but not on a daily basis like my aunt. Since she wasn't a threat to herself or anyone else, she was allowed to indulge herself in her delusions.

Wikipedia
Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder characterized by abnormal behavior and a decreased ability to understand reality. Common symptoms include false beliefs, unclear or confused thinking, hearing voices that others do not, reduced social engagement and emotional expression, and a lack of motivation. People with schizophrenia often have additional mental health problems such as anxiety, depressive, or substance-use disorders. Symptoms typically come on gradually, begin in young adulthood, and last a long time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Scientific American
How Do You Distinguish between Religious Fervor and Mental Illness?
It's not meant as insult to believers; the two states of mind can share many similar characteristics.

By Nathaniel P. Morris on December 22, 2016
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ental-illness/

The books of the OT were revised numerous times over the centuries. Language experts recognize the different hands in the style of the language used in the revisions. Revising the books as needed is a big factor in achieving accurate prophecies.

Adam and Eve (Aman and Amon if you prefer) were fashioned by the hand of God. If you believe that God is omnipotent and omniscient (do you?), than God created them to fall, bringing all of humankind down with them. A kind of a dirty trick on God's part, if you ask me.

The Bible DOES indicate that God is fallible, however.

Genesis 6:
[6] And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
[7] And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

But of course, as you have already agreed, the Bible is full of nonsense and errors. So how exactly does one distinguish one unrealistic claim from another?

In fact, how does one go about distinguishing fantasy from reality? Asking for advice from one's invisible friends is a suspect method, surely.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
My aunt was mentally ill. She was clinically diagnosed with OCD (extremely common among obsessively religious people by the way), and schizophrenia. The doctors prescribed meds for her, but she refused to take them, because she said they made Jesus mad at her and he would refuse to talk to her. Some of her friends in church also talked to Jesus apparently, but not on a daily basis like my aunt. Since she wasn't a threat to herself or anyone else, she was allowed to indulge herself in her delusions.

The books of the OT were revised numerous times over the centuries. Language experts recognize the different hands in the style of the language used in the revisions. Revising the books as needed is a big factor in achieving accurate prophecies.

Adam and Eve (Aman and Amon if you prefer) were fashioned by the hand of God. If you believe that God is omnipotent and omniscient (do you?), than God created them to fall, bringing all of humankind down with them. A kind of a dirty trick on God's part, if you ask me.

The Bible DOES indicate that God is fallible, however.

Genesis 6:
[6] And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
[7] And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

But of course, as you have already agreed, the Bible is full of nonsense and errors. So how exactly does one distinguish one unrealistic claim from another?

In fact, how does one go about distinguishing fantasy from reality? Asking for advice from one's invisible friends is a suspect method, surely.
I had an uncle who became mentally ill as well. He was a handsome guy whose life could have been so much different. He refused to take his meds, was in and out of mental hospitals, and lived as a homeless man for many years... living vicariously through the pages of the National Enquirer. It was heartbreaking to watch, but there was nothing his family could do about it.

Nope, God didn't create Adam and Eve to fall. It was by their own doing. Their writings reveal that God's offer to them of immortality came with one condition... they had to possess the substance from His soul (Divine Love), which they did not have. The reason that it's necessary to have a soul filled with this higher Love to become immortal has to do with the Law of Attraction... like attracts like.

A&E rejected it, hence, the offer was withdrawn and their fall from grace ensued. Before their fall, A&E were more spiritual and had powers that we don't have. They thought they could be as God is. They couldn't and their spiritual powers were removed as well.

The Genesis verse is another fabrication meant to frighten all who read it. God is Love. Was He disappointed with His first two creation... no doubt about it. Why would He create all living things just to turn around and destroy them all? Makes no sense.

From the time of A&E up to the time of Jesus, this higher Love from God was not available for anyone to possess. Jesus was the first. He accepted it... told his followers about it... and was crucified. Totally shameful and heartbreaking. This Love is still available and that's why he wants people to know about it 2,018 years later.

Anyway, there is a way to discern what is true and what isn't, but it involves prayer to God. For those interested, this message provides the steps to take to solve the problem of what is true and what is not.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009
Nope, God didn't create Adam and Eve to fall.
Then you agree that God failed to achieve His intended result when He created Adam and Eve.

Quote:
God is Love.
First consider:

Numbers 31
[15] And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
[16] Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
[17] Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
[18] But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Joshua 6
[20] So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
[21] And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 11:
19 Except for the Hivites living in Gibeon, not one city made a treaty of peace with the Israelites, who took them all in battle. 20 For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Ezekiel 9
[4] And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
[5] And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
[6] Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
[7] And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.

Samuel 1 15:
[2] Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
[3] Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Now consider the great flood, in which God drowned the entire planet, and then explain to me your definition of "love."

Old 10-07-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Then you agree that God failed to achieve His intended result when He created Adam and Eve.

First consider:

Numbers 31
[15] And Moses said unto them, Have ye saved all the women alive?
[16] Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the LORD in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the LORD.
[17] Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him.
[18] But all the women children, that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves.

Joshua 6
[20] So the people shouted when the priests blew with the trumpets: and it came to pass, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, and the people shouted with a great shout, that the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city.
[21] And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword.

Joshua 11:
19 Except for the Hivites living in Gibeon, not one city made a treaty of peace with the Israelites, who took them all in battle. 20 For it was the Lord himself who hardened their hearts to wage war against Israel, so that he might destroy them totally, exterminating them without mercy, as the Lord had commanded Moses.

Ezekiel 9
[4] And the LORD said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
[5] And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
[6] Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.
[7] And he said unto them, Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain: go ye forth. And they went forth, and slew in the city.

Samuel 1 15:
[2] Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt.
[3] Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.

Now consider the great flood, in which God drowned the entire planet, and then explain to me your definition of "love."
God creating A&E had nothing to do with His intended result, which was to have a spiritual family of His own. He made them an offer... they refused... life went on. Billions more people and counting born on this planet.

I'm curious why you believe all that drivel and nonsense and fiction. Any mention of God inciting His own creation to kill each other is blasphemous and a lie.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
God creating A&E had nothing to do with His intended result, which was to have a spiritual family of His own. He made them an offer... they refused... life went on. Billions more people and counting born on this planet.
If God is omnipotent and omniscient then God knew AND INTENDED that A&E would refuse His offer when He created them. If God had wanted beings that would have accepted His offer, being omnipotent, He would have created beings that would have accepted His offer. An omnipotent Being gets the result he intends to get without fail.

Quote:
I'm curious why you believe all that drivel and nonsense and fiction. Any mention of God inciting His own creation to kill each other is blasphemous and a lie.
I DO NOT believe it. Being an atheist, I do not even suppose that God ever even existed to begin with. But the entire concept of God, God's Will and God's Intentions, are derived from the Bible. If the Bible is nonsense, then so is the Biblical concept of God. The Bible says that God is omnipotent. The Bible also indicates that God sometimes fails to achieve His intentions. Since these two concepts of God directly contradict each other, the Bible is, as you say, "drivel and nonsense and fiction." Which means that billions of people subscribe to make believe.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
If God is omnipotent and omniscient then God knew AND INTENDED that A&E would refuse His offer when He created them. If God had wanted beings that would have accepted His offer, being omnipotent, He would have created beings that would have accepted His offer. An omnipotent Being gets the result he intends to get without fail.

I DO NOT believe it. Being an atheist, I do not even suppose that God ever even existed to begin with. But the entire concept of God, God's Will and God's Intentions, are derived from the Bible. If the Bible is nonsense, then so is the Biblical concept of God. The Bible says that God is omnipotent. The Bible also indicates that God sometimes fails to achieve His intentions. Since these two concepts of God directly contradict each other, the Bible is, as you say, "drivel and nonsense and fiction." Which means that billions of people subscribe to make believe.
According to the google dictionary, "omniscient" means knowing everything. Note, nowhere does it say anything about "in the future." While God knows what's going on because He's got good vision, it doesn't mean that He knows what in the world any of us are going to do with our lives until we do actually do it.

"The Bible also indicates that God sometimes fails to achieve His intentions." Not just fiction... pulp fiction.

"Which means that billions of people subscribe to make believe." Unfortunately, true.

Is there really a God? For me, there is. But He's not of the Bible. He's beyond the Bible... way beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality