Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 10:47 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
As to Luke being over two thousand years old... for a spirit that's nothing... they don't age... there are no calendars, clocks or time... no day and night in the spirit world.

Following is an excerpt of a letter written in 1915 by James Padgett explaining his mediumship.

"First permit me to state that I am a practical lawyer of 35 years experience, and as such not inclined to accept allegations of fact as true without evidencing proof. I was born and reared in an orthodox Protestant church and, until quite recently remained orthodox in my beliefs -- that upon the suggestion being made to me that I was a psychic, I commenced to receive by way of automatic writing, messages from what was said to be messages from the spirit world, and since that time I have received messages upon many subjects, but mostly as to things of a spiritual and religious nature, not orthodox, as to the errancy of the Bible.

I have not space to name the great number of the writers of these messages, but among them is Jesus of Nazareth. I will frankly say that I refused for a long time to believe that these messages came from Jesus, because God, while He had the power, as I believed, would not engage in doing such a thing; but the evidence of the truth of the origin of these messages became so convincing, not only from the great number and positiveness of the witnesses, but from the inherent and unusual merits of the contents of the messages, that I was forced to believe -- and now say to you that I believe in the truth of these communications, with as little doubt as I ever believed in the truth of a fact established by the most positive evidence in court.

I wish further to say that to my own consciousness I did no thinking in writing the messages -- I did not know what was to be written, nor what was written at the time, except the word the pencil was writing...."

Your aunt sounds like a she was a lovely and smart woman who didn't need a TV. Good for her! If she was feeling the ecstasy of God, it sure seems like she may have been receiving GDL in her soul. I like her explanation of the speaking in tongues language and it may have been that she was channeling a very ancient spirit during those outbursts. Because I believe she is a spirit, I'm wondering if it was her influence that brought you to this forum.

"Inside this baby is a soul which is encased in a spirit body. This spirit body is attached to the physical body by a silver cord. A spirit body may have OBEs or NDEs while it's inside the physical body. However, those experiences don't bring about a cutting of the cord. It is death of the physical body that causes the cut and when that happens a spirit is born in the spirit world. It's now ready to embark on the spiritual experience path." -- SoCalAngel2009 (post #109 of this string).

I asked you how you came by this information, and your answer is that it was provided by an individual, James Padgett, who died in 1923, and that James Padgett was a psychic medium who obtained his information on the afterlife by communicating with the spirits of the dead.

Thank you. I suspect that is really all we need to know.

Now to return to my original question. What apparent difference is there in such a claim and simple make believe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,066,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I know the ego all too well.
I also know the voice of the Holy Spirit or God....by whatever name.

Rationalizing something is good when it is not is ego.
Simply doing the right thing....God's coaching. (Conscience?....the point of the thread.)

*Rule of thumb...If you want to do something it's probably bad.
If you don't want to do something ...it's probably good and right.
Too true. That's my rule of thumb too.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Luminous Truth ...could you explain why you would say or think
the Holy Spirit is 'insecure'?
Thanks.
I must say, I was hoping for your personal experience...if it's something
someone else dreamed up 1000s of yrs ago...I'm not too interested, to be honest.
It is written in the chosen stories for most versions and editions of Bibles that Jesus said "blaspheme/insult me or blaspheme the Father, that can be forgiven... but insult the Holy Spirit and that is the only unforgivable sin/wrong/stain/mistake/imperfect/ etc.

Old 11-03-2019, 03:59 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,706 times
Quote:
It's just funny cuz there IS a voice inside that says things...like, 'go get another piece'...'have one more Martini, you're ok..."

And it's SO obvious to me it is the egoic thought system running it's mouth...anything that is not good for me is that darn ego.

But, the voice that is 'safety'...that is for my good! Well, A Course In Miracles calls that
the Holy Spirit's thought system...also inside us, right there.

Simple depiction is like the in 40s movies...a guy in black and white has an angel
on one shoulder and the devil on the other. Cute.
I know what you mean. One kind of difficult light bulb moment was realizing all I thought that was externally true, was really in my mind/interpretations. “The kingdom of God is within you†as are other “kingdoms†or potentials. Though this realization was difficult, it also helped me better take the reins of my own thinking.

Are you familiar with Fowler’s Faith Stages?
Chart of James Fowler's Stages of Faith | psychologycharts.com
There’s a huge leap in and from stage 5, to stage 6. Not much is said there. Other theories suggest (IMO, in this period) dark night of the senses and soul - kind of like (Carl Jung’s) the shadow is being lit up - and revealed. Not exactly fun but necessary and ultimately good.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:18 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
I hope you're talking to someone else...I have no spirits talking to me, btw.
A conscience would be saying...Not a good idea to rob that bank, George.
the universe is doing you. Much like the "tree" does a leaf. So if anything its the system you are in talking to you. the brain is so complex that one area's thoughts going to another area can seem like its from from somewhere else. its not, its just from your brain doing what it does ... thinking.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
It is written in the chosen stories for most versions and editions of Bibles that Jesus said "blaspheme/insult me or blaspheme the Father, that can be forgiven... but insult the Holy Spirit and that is the only unforgivable sin/wrong/stain/mistake/imperfect/ etc.
so is it the person saying that or the the thing itself that is insecure?

I can't get around its people misrepresenting what jesus said/the bible or taking what he/it said out of context.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:24 AM

63,819 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
There are significant issues with this rationale. If God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are One, how can you blaspheme any of them without blaspheming the Holy Spirit???

Old 11-03-2019, 11:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Too true. That's my rule of thumb too.
Good luck with living like that. Though on second thoughts, Second thoughts - not going with the first impulse - might have its' point.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-03-2019 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-03-2019, 11:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There are significant issues with this rationale. If God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are One, how can you blaspheme any of them without blaspheming the Holy Spirit???
Well spotted, and you know the answer already. But let's not drift off the topic to discussing the evolution of the Jesus -figure.

Old 11-03-2019, 11:52 AM

1,456 posts, read 516,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Good luck with living like that.
The argument that there may be greatness through the actions that don't come easy to us is an old one. cb2008 mentioned in another thread the story of Krishna and Arjuna, where the former made an argument that sometimes one must do difficult thing for higher cause. It's easy to do things that come easy to us and remain good. It's harder to persevere through what comes hard whilst retaining your dignity and striving for the greater good. It also seems to had been Heinrich Himmler's go to argument in motivating the SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality