Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 12:53 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times

Advertisements

Indeed. "The End Justified the means" is a favourite excuse for 'doing evil that good may come of it". And not long ago, poster Vic's 'everything crap in the world is really good, because it's all part of God's plan which is, ultimately, Good".

The idea that there must be a Right answer to every moral paradox - The baby and the 5 men on a railway track is a favourite - is perhaps a red herring. Sometimes it isn't so clear -cut. Demonizing the other side so they deserve what's coming to them, makes the dilemma easier, but doesn't make it ethically right.

Don't look to me as adviser - I have little mercy to offer ISIS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 01:11 PM

1,456 posts, read 516,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I often catch myself having higher expectations of other people when I regularly do and say things I'd be critical of in others. So, I'm no shining example of virtue either.

Old 11-03-2019, 04:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Indeed. "The End Justified the means" is a favourite excuse for 'doing evil that good may come of it". And not long ago, poster Vic's 'everything crap in the world is really good, because it's all part of God's plan which is, ultimately, Good".

The idea that there must be a Right answer to every moral paradox - The baby and the 5 men on a railway track is a favourite - is perhaps a red herring. Sometimes it isn't so clear -cut. Demonizing the other side so they deserve what's coming to them, makes the dilemma easier, but doesn't make it ethically right.

yeah, deny everything and anti-religion is based on "The end justifies the means."

But then again, holding your brand of theism (No real sects in atheism but it fits good enough to call yours a sect of atheism) to the same standard as the enemy isn't a requirement. You know, in the name of the good crusade to save the rest of us?

Old 11-03-2019, 04:31 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
What a great topic!! Who started this?

Old 11-03-2019, 04:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
No not so -people feel guilty when they have done nothing wrong -that is not the voice of god

Old 11-03-2019, 06:00 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
No not so -people feel guilty when they have done nothing wrong -that is not the voice of god
Wanna give an example?
Bet there are many with the source being the ego.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:08 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,513 times
God tells me the future all the time. Amazing, Impossible, Unimaginable things & they all come true exactly as God said they would.

My conscience has zero ability to see the future.

So "NO". The Voice of God Is Not Your Conscience. Period.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:47 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Wanna give an example?
Bet there are many with the source being the ego.
One of the most common means of manipulation is evoking sense of guilt in a person. Then, that person feels bad, while he did nothing wrong.
Shaming falls into same category.
As a stand up comedian said: First thing I say, when I come home, is - Honey, I'm sorry. I don't know what I have done wrong yet, but I'm sorry.
Familiar?
Ways of making innocent person feel bad, while with nothing done wrong, are plentiful. Energy vampires do this all the time. Egregores do this.
None to do with conscience.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:53 PM

19,037 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post

Feeling guilty and hearing voice of conscience are perfectly different things.
Unfortunately, voice of conscience is very easy to dull out. With little experience, it is not heard at all. Justifier mind easily overpowers it.

Voice of conscience will warn you once, BEFORE you act in a wrong manner on subjects, bearing moral consequences. Thereafter, you made your choice, weaved your Destiny, it is done and over, you will pay for it later in some coin. That is part of the free will. Act according - or against - your voice of conscience.

Everyone's choice.

Also, we are discussing very fine matters and influences here. They do not roar in your ear with power of experienced salesman. They gently touch your mind. One has to be attuned to such voice, to follow it.
Though, sometimes, one may have - and I attest to this - extremely strong aversion to intended action. I had that experience once. Torturous. Yet, "I knew better" - and it failed week down the road. So, if you have one of those firm "do not do this" spells - do not do this. Whatever it might be, no matter how appealing it may appear to you.

Old 11-04-2019, 02:06 AM

8,343 posts, read 272,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My conscience is not 'me', Miss H, per se...I know that because 'me' wants to slap
someone upside the head...also, from when I was a child...my
conscience was an adult presence inside; a wise telepathic voice...
and I was very aware of 'something else' looking out of my eyes...not the 5 yr old that I was ...an Observer...
an Over Seer.

Too much information? Maybe for some poo-poohing my 5 yr old memories that are like yesterday.
So, what is the conscience...that thing that Jeffrey Dahmer did not have?

This is God related so not in psychology.

My first memory of the Observer/Overseer was when I was four. It has come and gone throughout my life, however as I get more years(older?!:>)), it appears that this observer is the only constant.

In fact, if we all just related from our 'observer' to others observers, we Earthlings would having a really great party.

Bad behaviour/actions come from ignoring the Observer.

The Observer/Over Seer is the elephant in the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality