Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
Imho, it's your own soul that you became aware of at an early age. Our soul, which is encased in a spirit body inside of our physical body, has it's own faculties, which are called "soul perceptions." Once we become in tune with our soul, in the beginning we can see that it's slightly different than who we are as humans. Our soul is sweet and gentle and it has it's own mind... or "voice" as it were.

Our inner conscience is different than God, who is on the outside of us, but as we receive more and more of God's essence, His Divine Love, inside of our soul, then our soul begins to think as God thinks... our soul begins to Love as God loves. We become like God in our attributes. Eventually, our soul becomes transformed in purity and holiness and at that point, we become at-one with God... in other words, we are like God's equal, but we will never become God or possess all of His powers.
And your evidence for all of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 11:11 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And your evidence for all of that?
Personal experience by following the Divine Love path for over 40 years and a belief in the spirit communications contained in four volumes of True Gospel Revealed Anew by Jesus... available all over the World Wide Web... and especially my favorite website owned by a dear friend:

Truth for all People

Old 09-17-2018, 12:36 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Personal experience by following the Divine Love path for over 40 years and a belief in the spirit communications contained in four volumes of True Gospel Revealed Anew by Jesus... available all over the World Wide Web... and especially my favorite website owned by a dear friend:

Truth for all People
That's fine for yourself. Without evidence that people would generally accept it means little to the rest of us.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:51 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,790,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
My conscience is not 'me', Miss H, per se...I know that because 'me' wants to slap
someone upside the head...also, from when I was a child...my
conscience was an adult presence inside; a wise telepathic voice...
and I was very aware of 'something else' looking out of my eyes...not the 5 yr old that I was ...an Observer...
an Over Seer.

Too much information? Maybe for some poo-poohing my 5 yr old memories that are like yesterday.
So, what is the conscience...that thing that Jeffrey Dahmer did not have?

This is God related so not in psychology.

So this post made me think for a bit about conscience and what it is. I think maybe there are multiple mechanisms that get lumped together as conscience.

I read a fascinating book by Daniel Kahneman calld, "Thinking Fast and Slow". It was about how our brain seems to function in two levels, the fast (and mostly unconscious) mind that is responsible for our hunches, instinctive prejudices, and unconscios bias, and the slow mids which is our reasoned responses, our conscious choices.

For example, sometimes I may consciously decide on a course of action but feel unease or disquiet about my choice. In this case I might think of my fast mind as being the conscience, that part of me that approves or is uncomfortable with a decision apart from conscious thought.

In other cases, like having an impulse that is then tempered by rational or conscious evaluation, I may think of my slow mind as being my conscience, that part of me that analyzes my instinct and chooses to act or not.

It is interesting to me that "conscience" can be both the conscious second guessing the instinctive or vice versa. also interesting is that we very rarely see our conscience as approving. Most of us think of out conscience as that part of us that contradicts, I have never really thought in terms of my conscience agreeing. I think that maybe we only perceive a conscience as acting when our rational and instinctive minds contradict. Whichever one wins is then labeled as our "conscience"...

-NoCapo

Old 09-17-2018, 01:04 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
That's fine for yourself. Without evidence that people would generally accept it means little to the rest of us.
That's true. It's an individual thing for those who have an interest in the subject matter.

I met a lady this past week who decided about four years ago that she wasn't happy with her faith in the Catholic church, so she asked God to show her the truth. She scoured the internet, found the messages and began reading them. She believes that she began receiving Divine Love in her soul long before this. So a person doesn't necessarily need to read the messages, Divine Love can fill up a soul by the help of the Holy Spirit without a person knowing exactly what it is.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:40 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,987 times
Yes, I think one way of defining God (or a higher GOoD) is the conscience that we all have (some more prominent than others).

Maybe it’s rooted in the truth that hurting another can affect me - because we are all connected - especially in smaller tribes like families.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:49 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Imho, it's your own soul that you became aware of at an early age. Our soul, which is encased in a spirit body inside of our physical body, has it's own faculties, which are called "soul perceptions." Once we become in tune with our soul, in the beginning we can see that it's slightly different than who we are as humans. Our soul is sweet and gentle and it has it's own mind... or "voice" as it were.

Our inner conscience is different than God, who is on the outside of us, but as we receive more and more of God's essence, His Divine Love, inside of our soul, then our soul begins to think as God thinks... our soul begins to Love as God loves. We become like God in our attributes. Eventually, our soul becomes transformed in purity and holiness and at that point, we become at-one with God... in other words, we are like God's equal, but we will never become God or possess all of His powers.
I follow.
As I become aware more and more of my soul and it's desires...it leaps inside me at beauty...
but, it isn't emotion...it's like it's an alien inside me that only wants love and all that that means...
it swells inside my chest to the point of an exquisite ache.

No Capo ...thank you so much for that input!!!

Old 09-17-2018, 01:57 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Yes, I think one way of defining God (or a higher GOoD) is the conscience that we all have (some more prominent than others).

Maybe it’s rooted in the truth that hurting another can affect me - because we are all connected - especially in smaller tribes like families.
So if we are all connected our conscience would probably
say the same thing,
"Robbing that bank is not a such a good idea. And the third piece of triple chocolate cake? Ah, no."

Old 09-17-2018, 02:11 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So if we are all connected our conscience would probably
say the same thing,
"Robbing that bank is not a such a good idea. And the third piece of triple chocolate cake? Ah, no."
Yes, exactly!
If you eat that 3rd piece of triple chocolate cake - everyone around you will suffer the gassy effects.
See? We’re all connected!

Old 09-17-2018, 03:08 PM

63,823 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's located in the lateral frontal pole of the prefrontal cortex. Most specifically in the right hemisphere. Helps us discern right from wrong and helps us to evaluate the wisdom of our actions. Helps us to avoid acting out on impulses that might not be benificial.
It is a component of the brain only found in humans.
This is sadly not exactly true. The brain is our Soul factory but its operation is still steeped in mystery despite amazing advances in neuroscience. My attempts to relate its functioning to the myths in Genesis, particularly the Eden narrative, have been met with ridicule and skepticism because of this lack of understanding of its functioning. Unfortunately, the composition and functioning of our brain are necessary to fully appreciate the symbolism of the metaphors embedded in the mythical Eden accounts. In an effort to mitigate this lack of knowledge, my explanations will again use very simple metaphors and similes as I tried to do in my Synthesis. Hopefully, they will not meet with the same inane criticisms of "that's not how it actually works."

I will avoid technical jargon and endeavor to keep the discussion as uncomplicated as possible while conveying the essential information. All animals, including man, have what is called the old brain or basal ganglion. This old brain is the seat of our emotions and inner drives. We are unique in that our big brain has superior capabilities to enable us to override or suppress these inner drives (e.g. to turn the other cheek). This distinction between the old brain and our big brain will be clearer after I describe the behavioral differences between them.

Our big brain is, essentially, our cerebrum. The frontal lobe of our cerebrum is credited with being the seat of thought or consciousness. The other lobes enable us to see, hear, and activate the various muscles of our body. Coordination of these diverse functions is achieved through the mechanism of association. Association is the process of recording, like a tape recorder, all signals that come into a particular lobe. Better than three-fourths of the area of the cerebrum is devoted to association storage. For instance, every time you see something the combination of signals that represents the object in the occipital lobe (the lobe that controls vision) is stored. These signals are also sent to the frontal lobe through association neurons. This is a key factor in memory, learning, and thinking.

The frontal lobe has access to all the information that comes into all the other lobes. It is the central receiving station for monitor and control of our body. The association neurons connecting it with the other lobes and the nerve fibers connecting it with the rest of the central nervous system are like the various controls situated on the amplifier in a complex stereo system. It has all the necessary controls for input and output, volume and tone, high range and low range filters, muting circuits, and so on. In fact, it even has two separate channels. The cerebrum is divided down the middle by a longitudinal fissure and each half corresponds to a separate side of our body.

Now, to be honest, most neuroscientists credit our brain alone with being the instrument of our superiority over the lower animals. But as our sense of self and inner experience of control suggests, since it is an instrument, there must be someone or something using it. But despite this overwhelming evidence of our own perceptions of ourselves, brain theorists and neurologists studiously avoid the concept of a homunculus, or a separate coordinator of our thought processes that is NOT a physical part of the brain itself. As Crick states,

". . . Is there any idea we should avoid? I think there is at least one: the fallacy of the homunculus. . . .Most neuroscientists believe there is no homunculus in the brain. Unfortunately it is easier to state the fallacy than to avoid slipping into it. The reason is that we certainly have an illusion of the homunculus: the self. There is probably some good reason for the strength and persistence of this illusion. It may reflect some aspect of the overall control of the brain, but what the nature of this control is we have not yet discovered "

Yes, there probably is a really good reason for the strength and persistence of this "illusion," IT ISN'T AN ILLUSION! Like a stereo multiplex, our brain must have someone to operate the controls to produce the desired results. That someone is our soul and it is not a "physical" part of the brain, any more than the music in a stereo system is a "physical" part of the stereo. It is produced by the stereo system but is an EM manifestation.

Our soul has a partner in the production of our consciousness and behavior. That partner has some very definite ideas about the source and kind of "music" the soul should play through the stereo system of the brain. The pituitary gland is this partner. The pituitary is the most important organ we have. Its physical location, cradled in a complete bowl of bone, attests to its importance. It is the regulator for the entire body and becomes the key defense plant if our body is threatened in any way, real or imagined.

The pituitary is located in the other behavioral division of the brain called the limbic system, or "old brain." I shall consider with it the hindbrain and the entire autonomic nervous system. In essence, this covers the entire lower portion of the brain and spinal cord. The spinal cord and the brain are continuous both structurally and functionally. This old brain is sometimes referred to as the reptilian brain and it looks very much like a Serpent as my previous drawing and photograph of it clearly indicate.

This second behavioral grouping contains every factor necessary to animal life, every instinct, drive, and capability except thought. (The process of thinking is restricted to the cerebrum.) This old brain is the motivation and emotion center. This center is virtually identical to the one in the lower animals and is the regulator of our emotions. Emotions are not simply mental conditions. They are chemical and physical changes in the body that result from hormone stimulation of various glands and control centers in the body. The pituitary, the master gland, produces the various hormones to stimulate all the others.

Motivation and emotion in the human animal are intricate multifaceted phenomena. However, the complexity of human emotions cannot be attributed solely to this emotion center. It is the marriage of soul and animal that produces the complex human emotions and motivations. The complexity arises from the inclusion of our soul (consciousness) in what would otherwise be the typical animal responses.

Our consciousness provides many sources of response that are lacking in animals. For example, the limbic system cannot distinguish between real and imaginary situations. Its tendency to respond to imagination as if it were reality, explains much of the complication in human emotions. Animals do not imagine and are spared these complex emotions. For them, the pituitary must be stimulated by actual situations (or prior conditioning). When our imagination or our circumstances signal the pituitary in a positive manner it will produce conditions in the body that are almost uniformly beneficial. We call these the pleasant emotions.

When our imagination or our circumstances signal the pituitary in a negative manner it will produce conditions we call the unpleasant emotions. While these conditions endow us with potentially life-saving temporary enhancements of our capabilities, they can be very harmful to our body if prolonged. For example, fear while providing adrenal reinforcement of our fight or flight response, it is very harmful if prolonged.

If our imagination or our circumstances fail to signal, we do not emote. If we transmit pleasant signals, regardless what is occurring, we will experience the pleasant emotions. For some psychic adepts, it is possible to visualize or imagine pleasant situations, even during extremely painful physical circumstances and, thus, be spared the pain. Unfortunately, that kind of discipline is not easy, nor is it possible in all situations. However, whether they are good or bad, emotions are chemical and physical changes in our body resulting from the transmission of signals to the old brain - our animal nature - or reptilian brain.

The old brain, or reptilian brain, is the source of all traditionally forbidden behavior in the scriptures. The source of forbidden behavior in Eden was the serpent. Viewed anatomically, the old brain is shaped exactly like a serpent. The serpent's power is in the pituitary gland with its dual capability of stimulating good or bad emotions in our body - the true forked tongue of the serpent! This analogy of the old brain to a serpent is startlingly clear, even a little eerie, in the photograph I have posted and linked to several times on this forum. The simile is particularly compelling when you realize that its functions are as automatic, unthinking, and serpentlike as the actions of a true serpent.

Every time the old brain receives pain stimuli it will react with retaliation or avoidance signals. Every time it receives pleasure stimuli it will react with requests for more. When it detects a deficiency of blood sugar, it will react with hunger signals. If it detects a deficiency of water in the body, it will react with thirst signals. These reactions are completely automatic, unthinking, and unalterable.

Even though the feelings of hunger and thirst normally are physiologically triggered, we can actually create them without the physical conditions by thinking about being hungry or thirsty. But, whether we tell it we are hungry or our physiology tells it we are hungry, the serpent will always give us the same answer: "Eat!" This is true of every drive. This uncompromising internal serpent will always give the same answer to each problem, regardless how it is made aware of the problem.

The bulk of the stimulation received by our animal nature originates in our thought processes. In short, we think our animal nature into excitation and the possible combinations and sequences are limitless. Human beings possess the ability to abstract and create an unlimited source of stimulation. However, there is usually little to be gained by stimulating our animal nature over a particular situation if we cannot allow the response we know it will tell us to make. Once it receives a stimulus and sends a drive signal, that drive must be satisfied by some response. We can determine what will be a satisfactory response only in a limited way. That's why it is more prudent to prevent the stimulus and avoid any need to prevent any unacceptable responses. It is our Soul that responds to our conscience and inhibits our negative or undesirable responses generated by the Serpent. Since our brain is a transceiver, there is much more to understand about our Soul's relationship to the Holy Spirit to which it is kin. But that is for another post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality