Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:15 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Tell the spirit that converses with you ``Jesus Christ is Lord ``, and if the Spirit opposes this then rebuke the spirit to Jesus name ,............... See you can never rebuke the Holy Spirit by mistake to the name of Jesus Christ , as it never would be received an offence to God
The former is meaningless and ignorant Cronyism, always desirous for immorality and allegiance to power. Although I am not denying that cronyism can be advantages to the crony often times.

Have you tried telling the "voice" inside you "There is no God but Muhammad's God" and then thinking that if the voice opposes this, then they need to be rebuked to Allah's name?

See they say that Allah is always merciful, unlike this insecure "Holy Spirit" ("fully god but not fully god" thing)

Is the name of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob an offense to God? Why? Then again, insecurity is often warranted, perhaps even in false, fearful, fallibility-creating and wrong-allowing imagined gods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,325,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, I personally believe that every person is born with the light of Christ in them. It doesn't matter where they're born or how they're raised; that light is there. I suppose it is roughly equivalent to "conscience." It's because of this belief that I feel that a person does not need to be a theist in order to commit a sin. As Christians, we think of a sin as being an intentional violation of a religious law.
That's precisely what a sin is ... murder is also a sin because it violates religious law, but the reason why all societies have laws against murder isn't because everyone believes in the same religion or worships the same god, right?

I know you want to believe it is the light of Christ because that's who you worship. Others would say it is the light of Allah, the light of Shiva, etc. etc.

And yet, despite thousands of years of varying cultures, varying religions, varying moral standards, no society has ever NOT had strict laws against murder. Because being anti-murder is one of those evolved traits that benefits our survival as human beings. We know that if we allow rampant murder to take place, the odds of getting murdered ourselves is pretty damn good, thus in order to coexist as a gregarious species, it would be necessary to evolve such traits.

After all, animals don't generally murder each other either though it does occasionally happen in fights over mates and territory -- just like with humans. I doubt they all have the light of a god within them, too.

There are three kinds of laws:

Moral laws -- these are the laws that directly affect the well-being of other human beings. Murder, rape, theft, embezzling, coercion, terrorism, pedophilia, domestic violence, etc. These are all empathy-based laws which say, "I don't want these things happening to me, so I'm not going to commit them on other people." Without these laws, society and civilization would be impossible.

Civil laws -- these are laws focused on the governance of a city, county, state/province/shire, and nation. They include such things as tax laws, property laws, inheritance laws, speed limits, building permits, licenses of every description, permits, and loads of other things. Not everyone sees breaking some of these laws as immoral or sinful, but breaking them often does hurt society.

Religious laws -- these are the laws that exist only due to religious faith. Fortunately, MOST of these laws only apply to particular religions and MOST of them are not *real* laws in an actionable sense. For instance, no one is going to arrest or fine you if you cheat on your spouse, have sex before marriage, use a condom, have sex with the same gender, work on Sunday, pray or don't pray, go to church or not, pay the proper tithe, etc. etc.

The first and last category are considered "sins" by religion -- but only the first category, the moral laws, would still exist if religion were to disappear or never existed in the first place. While religion just adores taking credit for those rules, the fact is that even the most secular nations have the same laws against those things. Also in fact, religious nations quite often have far more lax moral laws than secular nations.

For instance, America, the most religious nation in the Western world, is the ONLY First World nation that still has the death penalty -- even though murder is supposed to be a sin -- along with other religious nations like Iran and North Korea (yes, North Korea IS a religious nation; just because they worship the Kim family as gods on earth doesn't make them any less religious than the mainstream religions).

Because religion tends to be authoritarian and highly intolerant of other beliefs as well as criticism, moral laws are often broken as religion makes exceptions for itself. Entire legal systems are often based on the "special pleading" fallacy as religious governments make laws that essentially say, "We can do this or that, but YOU, the people, cannot ... because it's a sin!" The hypocrisy is overwhelming to say the least.

There are also certain "throw-backs" in this country -- and many others -- that really have no business being illegal but are anyway because religion got involved in some distant point in our history. Laws against prostitution, for example, is more a religious law than anything else -- a prohibition against fornication and adultery. Our brush with Prohibition was the result of religious law being turned into a moral law, orchestrated by the Christian Temperance League who saw alcohol as somehow demonic. Fortunately that only lasted for 20 or so years. There even was a time when teaching evolution in our public schools was illegal -- and therein is no better an example of a religious law being turned into a civil law, a place where religion has no business being.

Quote:
But nobody needs to have read the Bible or gone to Sunday School to know that murder is wrong.
Yep, because of empathy. It doesn't have anything to do with magic or gods. If empathy comes from God, then so, too, does hatred, jealousy, greed, envy, jealousy, avarice, selfishness, etc.

Can't give God/Christ credit for the good things without also blaming them for the bad.

Quote:
If I were to ask pretty much any atheist I've ever known whether he'd consider killing someone he disliked, provided he was 100% sure he'd never be caught, I think every last one would say, "No."
Yes, that is very true.

Unless you're a Christian apologist like Ken Ham or the Hovind duo who Lied for Jesus! about that very question, doctoring a video to make it appear as if two young atheists would murder someone as long as they were guaranteed they'd never be caught. The *original* question had so many carrots dangling from it that eventually the two atheists said they *would* commit the deed -- but only after the lying apologists added incentives like ... the person you're going to murder is beating his wife every night and she'll die if something isn't done ... and the police aren't doing anything ... and she won't go to a shelter out of fear ... and you'll get paid $10 million if you do it ... and he's also a pedophile ... and he kicks puppies ...

But in the doctored video played to an auditorium full of people the two atheists were presented like this:

"If you could murder someone with a guarantee of never getting caught, would you do it?"

"Oh yes, absolutely. Uh huh. How could anyone NOT want to murder in that situation?!"

All of the carrots and incentives were magically missing from the final video. Hmm.

So, I wish I could say the same about most believers regarding whether they would say "no" to that question -- especially when it comes to gays, atheists, and liberals. I'm no longer sure they would. Meaning that, while they may not actually commit the murder, the *desire* to kill would be very real and very genuine.

Even just 5 years or so ago, I wouldn't be having these doubts. However, considering the number of threats of violence I've had thrown at me online over those ensuing years -- from people who proudly proclaim themselves Christian -- I'm confident that at least 30% of believers* asked about murder would happily claim they would kill if they could providing the victim was an atheist, Muslim, gay, or liberal/Democrat.

I've seen it with my own eyes -- and I'm a very minor player in the world of atheism. I can't even imagine the kind of horrible threats people like Dawkins, Hitchens, Hawking, AronRa, Seth Andrews, Matt Dillahunty, Laurence Kraus, Niel DeGrasse-Tyson and other openly atheistic activists receive.

Considering that, quite often whenever atheists hold one of their Free Thought Conventions, one side of the street is filled with Christian protestors waving signs filled with Hellthreat ... while the other side of the street is filled with Muslims saying the same but adding that we should be beheaded in the name of Islam.

Do atheists have large protests at religious events with signs claiming how all believers should be murdered or tortured forever?

Well, no.

*Believers -- which mostly applies to Muslims in this day and age rather than Christians. However, Christians are rapidly approaching the same degree of right-wing religious extremism as the Muslim terrorists, so give it a few years and who is to say what might happen to our freedom to exist.

Quote:
And if pressed to give a reason, it would somehow be a variant of "It's wrong." It may not be "wrong" to him because of the biblical commandment, "Thou shalt not kill," but it would be a clear violation of his conscience.
No, most atheists wouldn't give a trite answer like "It's wrong." I'm almost positive they would explain themselves better than that -- especially since, as I've said above, a lot of people have a lot of wrong ideas about who atheists are and what we believe ... and why.

Rather, we would attribute it to empathy, as I've said above, and would then explain, as I have, how empathy is a beneficial evolutionary trait -- those who felt empathy and demonstrated it toward others were more likely to survive to pass that trait onto their offspring. Those who were aggressive, violent, and dangerous often died young hence there were fewer offspring to carry on those violent and aggressive traits into succeeding generations.

In addition, "Thou shalt not kill" as it appears in the 10 Commandments was not the first command not to kill.

The first codified version was, of course, attributed to Hammurabi of Sumeria some 4,000 years before the Bible was written. Considering there is no written record -- anywhere by anyone -- of Yahweh, Jesus, Hebrews, Judaism, or anything at all regarding anything Biblical during those 4,000 years, it would seem rather crazy to attribute Hammurabi's codes as somehow being inspired by a Hebrew god that would not make an appearance on the world stage for another four millenia.

Rather, Hammurabi understood that in order to maintain a civilization -- and Sumeria is the first civilization with actual written records -- laws against such things as murder were paramount.

Last edited by Shirina; 09-17-2018 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: My first post was infused with the light of the Typo God and was risen bodily into deletion heaven.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,163,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I follow.
As I become aware more and more of my soul and it's desires...it leaps inside me at beauty...
but, it isn't emotion...it's like it's an alien inside me that only wants love and all that that means...
it swells inside my chest to the point of an exquisite ache.
Yay, Soul Sista! I heard the most beautiful song last week. I called it a love song to God and I felt the same way you described above only with tears coming to my eyes.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Yes, exactly!
If you eat that 3rd piece of triple chocolate cake - everyone around you will suffer the gassy effects.
See? We’re all connected!
It's just funny cuz there IS a voice inside that says things...like, 'go get another piece'...'have one more Martini, you're ok..."

And it's SO obvious to me it is the egoic thought system running it's mouth...anything that is not good for me is that darn ego.

But, the voice that is 'safety'...that is for my good! Well, A Course In Miracles calls that
the Holy Spirit's thought system...also inside us, right there.

Simple depiction is like the in 40s movies...a guy in black and white has an angel
on one shoulder and the devil on the other. Cute.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:44 AM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
My conscience is not 'me', Miss H, per se...I know that because 'me' wants to slap
someone upside the head...also, from when I was a child...my
conscience was an adult presence inside; a wise telepathic voice...
and I was very aware of 'something else' looking out of my eyes...not the 5 yr old that I was ...an Observer...
an Over Seer.

Too much information? Maybe for some poo-poohing my 5 yr old memories that are like yesterday.
So, what is the conscience...that thing that Jeffrey Dahmer did not have?

This is God related so not in psychology.
Scientists have recently proven that a person’s conscience is, in fact, the voice of God. They are still trying to determine which God, however. Early experimental results suggest that it is Ahura Mazda, the God of Zoroastrianism.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Scientists have recently proven that a person’s conscience is, in fact, the voice of God. They are still trying to determine which God, however. Early experimental results suggest that it is Ahura Mazda, the God of Zoroastrianism.
I think there is a slight indication of Vishnu also.

Old 09-18-2018, 12:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The former is meaningless and ignorant Cronyism, always desirous for immorality and allegiance to power. Although I am not denying that cronyism can be advantages to the crony often times.

Have you tried telling the "voice" inside you "There is no God but Muhammad's God" and then thinking that if the voice opposes this, then they need to be rebuked to Allah's name?

See they say that Allah is always merciful, unlike this insecure "Holy Spirit" ("fully god but not fully god" thing)

Is the name of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob an offense to God? Why? Then again, insecurity is often warranted, perhaps even in false, fearful, fallibility-creating and wrong-allowing imagined gods.
Well, I should probably prove-read more often, not to mention the grammar. But so little time. I meant "immortality" not "immorality" and I meant "advantageous" not "advantages", etc. etc.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:43 AM

Luminous Truth ...could you explain why you would say or think
the Holy Spirit is 'insecure'?
Thanks.
I must say, I was hoping for your personal experience...if it's something
someone else dreamed up 1000s of yrs ago...I'm not too interested, to be honest.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:26 AM

10,535 posts, read 6,169,672 times
Quote:
My conscience is not 'me', Miss H, per se...I know that because 'me' wants to slap
someone upside the head...also, from when I was a child...my
conscience was an adult presence inside; a wise telepathic voice...
and I was very aware of 'something else' looking out of my eyes...not the 5 yr old that I was ...an Observer...
an Over Seer.

Too much information? Maybe for some poo-poohing my 5 yr old memories that are like yesterday.
So, what is the conscience...that thing that Jeffrey Dahmer did not have?

This is God related so not in psychology.

What make you think your own conscience is not you?
Of course it is you.
Who else would it be?

Old 09-22-2018, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
What make you think your own conscience is not you?
Of course it is you.
Who else would it be?
This isn't exactly as simple of a question as it appears on the surface.
Why would a child a 5, suddenly experiencing a wise and adult consciousness within them...
looking out of their eyes see that as 'them'...a 5 year old wants to just play and have ice cream.

Freud says we have the superego that's the social component and is your conscience.
The id is your instinct, while the ego is your conscious decisions.
Then you have explanations that
The unconscious mind is constantly communicating with the conscious mind via our subconscious.
But what about the superconsciousness! ( some call the Higher self....as opposed to the lower ego self)

THAT is a level of awareness that sees the material reality, but also the energy and consciousness behind that reality!
I have heard some say that is God within...that we are unaware of...ha,
until it seeps through occasionally. (Those are special moments of Cosmic Consciousness! Indeed!)

So, when we are functioning from only that Higher Self, well....then we realize we are that very Higher Self...God within...Itself...Himself.

And this is why I practice the Divine Presence, easy compared to the very hard exercises
being aware of Awareness.
Pure Awareness Itself.

Why is it hard? Try it and see ...it rewires the brain...it's the end of the ego...that thing that
identifies as Johnny, Miss H. or Transponder...it is just Pure Awareness...that which is looking out from behind your eyes.

Until we are aware we are God Itself, this Higher Unlimited Self...we're just bumbling
around in the small ego.

A week has gone by ...and I finally ans'd my own question...with some good input from some here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality