Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Well, you learn another way. A lot of people only repeat what they've been taught, not realizing they've been taught incorrectly.
You can break that pattern for yourself and your children. You do not have to live the life of your parents and grandparents. In fact, the Quran warns against following the path of your fathers if their path is incorrect. I can't cite verses because that's not how I study scripture.
Memorizing verses without understanding context is something that was done in my church, and I discarded that way.

It didn't work for me. I probably sound less knowledgeable to people who believe citing verses is important. That's okay. I have a better grasp of the messages than a lot of them.
Your family can change, and it can start with you...
Pretty words...and good for you...really...
what about those that believe what they are taught by Fundies?
This is where the harm is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 09:53 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
They have free will like everyone else. They are choosing to follow someone instead of learning for themselves.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
They have free will like everyone else.
They are choosing to follow someone instead of learning for themselves.
Well, not really, treemoni.
Children and stupid, innocent people don't know any better and so it's easy
for anyone to brainwash them to just follow any ole nonsense.
Um, Jim Jones, for example...trusting sheep following someone off a kool-aid cliff...
This is why we say Fundamentalist teachings are harmful.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Which is why I keep lifting fundies' rocks and shining a light on them. They scuttle away but I keep after them.
You mean their pincers don't sink in?

Old 09-25-2018, 10:11 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
They have free will like everyone else. They are choosing to follow someone instead of learning for themselves.
When children are indoctrinated with shame and self-loathing from their infancy by people in authority over them (usually because they themselves were indoctrinated), I would argue their will is shackled. Some people escape at an early age, or find a way to compartmentalize their religion in a way that minimizes the damage. But others do not and it can leave them broken. It sure broke me.

The saving grace in this (and I’m pretty sure you’ll understand me, Hep) is that sometimes when they break us, they also shatter the hold they have on us in the process. That glimmer of hope, if it takes hold, can grow bright enough to lead us out.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, not really, treemoni.
Children and stupid, innocent people don't know any better and so it's easy
for anyone to brainwash them to just follow any ole nonsense.
Um, Jim Jones, for example...trusting sheep following someone off a kool-aid cliff...
This is why we say Fundamentalist teachings are harmful.
I'm talking about in everyday life. I don't run into "fundies" at all. They have not been a part of my experience. Children are under the direction of adults. That's different. But once you are an adult, there is nothing that says you have to follow the guidance of your parents. And you shouldn't if their guidance was dysfunctional. Honoring your mother and father does not mean letting them lead you down the wrong path because they are your parents. God is the ultimate authority, and God tells you not to follow the ways of your parents if they are going to lead you astray. You are responsible for the development of your own soul. You have the power to invite or disinvite people into your experience. Yes, many things are out of your control, but that's why you let God guide you. Not people. Those folks in Guyana...bless them, but they idolized a man. Not God. And they allowed a MAN to lead them to death. Everyone posting here is an adult. If there are toxic fundies in your experience, it's because you're allowing the to be there.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Everything in God's world has a purpose. What is the purpose of shining a light on so-called fundies, if what they're doing isn't harming anyone? You disliking what they do does not mean they are harming anyone. Those are two different things. So...what is your purpose? Serious question.
Perhaps you would like to explain the purpose of Ocular Myiasis?

Old 09-25-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Perhaps you would like to explain the purpose of Ocular Myiasis?
I'm not God, so I do not have access to family history and everything else that could lead a person to getting whatever disease. I don't know their experience. People seem to think that bad things are not supposed to happen to you if you believe in God. I don't know where that idea comes from. Sometimes bad things happen for a higher good and we will not know the reason. Or these things happen to test your faith. If you are a believer, you don't think this life is the end. While you may be inconvenienced in this life, you believe you will advance to something better. God is the ultimate planner.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not God, so I do not have access to family history and everything else that could lead a person to getting whatever disease. I don't know their experience. People seem to think that bad things are not supposed to happen to you if you believe in God. I don't know where that idea comes from. Sometimes bad things happen for a higher good and we will not know the reason. Or these things happen to test your faith. If you are a believer, you don't think this life is the end. While you may be inconvenienced in this life, you believe you will advance to something better. God is the ultimate planner.
Yeah, that is where you and I pretty well separate. I have no doubt we are living this one life, and it is our responsibility to live it the best we can for ourselves, and our fellow human beings. When we die, we will know just as much as we did before we were conceived... nothing. Worm food is what we will be.

Won't it be great to give back to this earth all we took while living so some other organism can live? How cool is that!?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Won't it be great to give back to this earth all we took while living so some other organism can live? How cool is that!?
Dude. This is how you advance your soul. It's exactly what we're supposed to be doing. See? You get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality