Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:15 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Dude. This is how you advance your soul. It's exactly what we're supposed to be doing. See? You get it.
You missed the part about us being worm food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 01:15 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
When children are indoctrinated with shame and self-loathing from their infancy by people in authority over them (usually because they themselves were indoctrinated), I would argue their will is shackled. Some people escape at an early age, or find a way to compartmentalize their religion in a way that minimizes the damage. But others do not and it can leave them broken. It sure broke me.

The saving grace in this (and I’m pretty sure you’ll understand me, Hep) is that sometimes when they break us, they also shatter the hold they have on us in the process. That glimmer of hope, if it takes hold, can grow bright enough to lead us out.
Now there are some beautiful words. Essentially there is - as the True Believers say - "A choice". To doubt and question or to have Faith.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
When children are indoctrinated with shame and self-loathing from their infancy by people in authority over them (usually because they themselves were indoctrinated), I would argue their will is shackled. Some people escape ...
Yes. Some of us were able to escape.
I consider it child abuse to teach them this guilt-ridden junk and that there is a punishing
monster Creator to fear....and an eternal lake of fire if you step outta the lines!

Old 09-26-2018, 08:24 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,013,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Yes. Some of us were able to escape.
I consider it child abuse to teach them this guilt-ridden junk and that there is a punishing
monster Creator to fear....and an eternal lake of fire if you step outta the lines!
Children in these situations should be taught to report their parents to the local authorities.
Perhaps it's not too late for the adults who feel their parents harmed them as child to take some type of legal action against their parents.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Children in these situations should be taught to report their parents to the local authorities.
Perhaps it's not too late for the adults who feel their parents harmed them as child to take some type of legal action against their parents.
I think some kids have...like the ones brought up in a cultish group.
I certainly think a kid would have a case if the parent was a neglectful, alcoholic that didn't
put food in the table, too!

Old 09-26-2018, 10:37 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,172,469 times
Quote:
This was posted in the Religion ans Spirituality section...not a Science section.
Proof is not needed in this 'discussion of ideas thread', AtheistAstroGuy!?

Religion and Spirituality is based on personal belief and experience, period.
So gang? Keep posting your beliefs and thoughts on the topic, please.

AAG, people are clearly saying they 'believe' and I am interested in their ideas.
They are not proselytizing...this is a discussion, thus, do not need to be asked to provide
any proof for you...or be told their beliefs mean nothing.
Beliefs are the backbone of a group of humans you know little about.

Gang? Your ideas and beliefs mean something to ME.
In all fairness Miss H, the OP is a positive claim and does not mention belief.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalAngel2009 View Post
You definitely have a different perspective. One that I don't happen to believe in, but I'll just say one day we will all know what the real truth is after we're no longer among the living beings of this earth life.
Another positive assertion with no evidence. You are more than welcome to “believe†this, but asserting it as a fact is worthless. All real evidence says that when our brains die, our essence dies.

Is there an afterlife? Maybe, but no one “knows†this and is intellectually dishonest if they say they do.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
In all fairness Miss H, the OP is a positive claim and does not mention belief.
Hi maat, I was speaking to a particular person that was 'putting down ' a person's
beliefs as 'meaning nothing', as I recall.
No one knows for sure if your conscience is God, an angel, your Higher Self, the Oversoul or Uncle Harry...so
There you have it. People can say their beliefs on here hopefully with the comfort they will not be
put down, cuz they have no proof....how could they have proof...Let people
post is my point directed to that one person.
To explain...

Oh maat, sorry, re what you said to SoCalAngel...I care very little about intellectual honesty!!! I am the least intellectual person you've ever met! Very little of what I do is even logical....not even my silverware drawer.
So, let me emphatically say, due to my experience not from any books ... God is Love ...and
there is an afterlife...BIG TIME! (Oh and there are no cowinky-dinkies , EVER!)

I have no scientific or intellectual basis to back any of that up!!
But, it is the truth, positively.
Did I upset you in any way? I hope not.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 09-26-2018 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Hi maat, I was speaking to a particular person that was 'putting down ' a person's
beliefs as 'meaning nothing', as I recall.
No one knows for sure if your conscience is God, an angel, your Higher Self, the Oversoul or Uncle Harry...so
There you have it. People can say their beliefs on here hopefully with the comfort they will not be
put down, cuz they have no proof....how could they have proof...Let people
post is my point directed to that one person.
To explain...

Oh maat, sorry, re what you said to SoCalAngel...I care very little about intellectual honesty!!! I am the least intellectual person you've ever met! Very little of what I do is even logical....not even my silverware drawer.
So, let me emphatically say, due to my experience not from any books ... God is Love ...and
there is an afterlife...BIG TIME! (Oh and there are no cowinky-dinkies , EVER!)

I have no scientific or intellectual basis to back any of that up!!
But, it is the truth, positively.
Did I upset you in any way? I hope not.
You never upset me, just that crazy Vulcan in me.🤪

Old 09-27-2018, 08:48 PM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
I think some kids have...like the ones brought up in a cultish group.
I certainly think a kid would have a case if the parent was a neglectful, alcoholic that didn't
put food in the table, too!
LMAO, this would tie up the courts for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality